Rimping's new website

jko

I wish they would put as much effort into finishing the Kad Farang branch as they did their flashy new website.

Last time i spoke with RP management they said "open April 2014". Looking like maybe April 2015 now, a big maybe.

Maybe they're not in a hurry to lose even more money.

We're forever noting items which are consistently cheaper at Rimping compared with BigC or TL. ACE french fries [Dutch import] are ~ 40 BT/kg lower, also Chaba fruit juice is an excellent buy @ 41BT/L.

I wish they would put as much effort into finishing the Kad Farang branch as they did their flashy new website.

Last time i spoke with RP management they said "open April 2014". Looking like maybe April 2015 now, a big maybe.

We're forever noting items which are consistently cheaper at Rimping compared with BigC or TL. ACE french fries [Dutch import] are ~ 40 BT/kg lower, also Chaba fruit juice is an excellent buy @ 41BT/L.

I don't think they are in business to lose money. With 9 supermarkets and forever growing i think they're doing just fine.

I don't think they are in business to lose money. With 9 supermarkets and forever growing i think they're doing just fine.

Agreed, but I meant in relation to existing KF store, increased rent for new shop + extra staff. Cafe/restaurant will double the wage bill.

Long term vision i guess. The store at Kad Farang is going to be a large supermarket compared to the small grocery shop they have now.

It will be great for Hang Dong, save us "southerners" from getting stuck in the grid lock of the towns traffic. Starbucks, Maccas, Rimping, what more can one ask for...

• Like 1

I agree, and the perception that they are expensive is not justified. I rarely shop anywhere else - competitive prices aside, the peaceful ambience alone puts them way ahead of their noisy competitors.

In Promenada for example, you can browse quietly for hours with a meal, coffee, or glass of wine in between. They have also just introduced a system where you can park a trolleyload of shopping for safe keeping at the parking entrance, go off somewhere else, and drive back anytime to pick it up - they'll even load it in your car for you. This is really civilised shopping!

Only problem with Rimping is the relatively high cost of their veg - organic + pesticide free stuff aside - I rarely buy carrots, tomatoes, etc. there, as local markets are far below their prices, even considering the high costs of operating a supermarket.

All in all, we are lucky to have these guys in town - I wish them well.

• Like 1

If they dropped their prices of meat, fruit and veg closer to market prices, I'd probably do my weekly shop there, and Kaad Farang would be my nearest spot. As it is, I only pop in for the odd item I can't get at Big C/Lotus, rarely spending more than 500B/month there.

And with Central Festival Tops store having the best selection of cheese in the city, I've been going to Rimping even less lately.

Rimping is the only supermarket that respects the expiry date on goods. They discount it long before the expiry. So if I pick up something that's NOT on discount, I can safely assume that the expiry is a long way off. Other supermarkets don't discount a product till on the very expiry date or just a few days before expiry, forcing me to check the expiry even when buying non discount items.

This, plus

Friendlier staff

*NO* loud, annoying in-store advertising

Classical/jazz music on the PA

Cooler aircon

Absence of policy of product placements designed to confuse the buyer like placing similarly packaged non-discount items next to discount items

Make for an overall relaxing shopping experience.

Thank you, Rimping.

T

• Like 2

Long term vision i guess. The store at Kad Farang is going to be a large supermarket compared to the small grocery shop they have now.

It will be great for Hang Dong, save us "southerners" from getting stuck in the grid lock of the towns traffic. Starbucks, Maccas, Rimping, what more can one ask for...

McDonalds, Burger King, KFC a whole host of other foreign products.cheesy.gif

Just browsing through their web site I found this.

Sugar is present in almost all processed foods and beverages. Current research indicates that high sugar consumption has a negative effect on health, and the number of sugar-free products is increasing. Rimping stocks a variety of sugar-free items including chocolate, biscuits, and juices. If you are on a sugar-free diet for medical reasons, you may wish to check the label for what artificial sweeteners may be present.

I try to watch my sugar intake. Generally the wife or daughter or son in law are with me to check on sugar content. Quite often it is written so small it is even hard for them to find. Why are these articles not clearly marked sugar free. Most of the time they are on the shelves with the other similar products. Have yet to find a sugar free juice. Gave up looking for it long ago.

McDonalds, Burger King, KFC a whole host of other foreign products.cheesy.gif

I was being sarcastic NJ.

And if one thinks they are building these places for farangs one can think again.

By Thai's for Thai's.

The franchise is a monopoly in Thailand and owned by one family.

I agree, and the perception that they are expensive is not justified. I rarely shop anywhere else - competitive prices aside, the peaceful ambience alone puts them way ahead of their noisy competitors.

In Promenada for example, you can browse quietly for hours with a meal, coffee, or glass of wine in between. They have also just introduced a system where you can park a trolleyload of shopping for safe keeping at the parking entrance, go off somewhere else, and drive back anytime to pick it up - they'll even load it in your car for you. This is really civilised shopping!

Only problem with Rimping is the relatively high cost of their veg - organic + pesticide free stuff aside - I rarely buy carrots, tomatoes, etc. there, as local markets are far below their prices, even considering the high costs of operating a supermarket.

All in all, we are lucky to have these guys in town - I wish them well.

That's great if you're not buying perishable items.