Thai Hotel Association believes junta's beach crackdown will lure tourists back

webfact

Why not return Hat Pattaya back to it's natural state at zero cost to City Hall (taxpayers) by letting the encroaching sea do it free of charge?. Do the quality tourists, such as Chinese go to Pattaya to sit under parasols on a rented deckchair? I doubt it. Aren't there plenty of hotel/ condo swimming pools and other more attractive beaches in the area?. There are too many vested interests who would not allow nature to take over, and it's a 'no-brainer' trying to guess who these eminent citizens are.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing Thailand. Responding to the picture i say:

Should one want to have a a beach umbrella and a chair to sit in at the beach one should be able to bring ones own.

If one stays at a hotel/resort nearby one could rent one from there.

I don't see why these chairs and umbrellas need to be a fixture on the beach operated by scammers and squatters.

Regards.

• Like 2

Should one want to have a a beach umbrella and a chair to sit in at the beach one should be able to bring ones own.

I don't see why these chairs and umbrellas need to be a fixture on the beach operated by scammers and squatters.

Regards.

One needs to understand the fiscal 'food chain'

then one would know how the little scamming parasites feed up the ladder the larger scamming parasites and so forth until the lines blur and the largest scamming parasites actually believe that everyone thinks they are bona fide office holders

• Like 1

When the beaches are completely empty they will be even more beautiful.

Yea Man, and you think you will be there alone, others keep away. Right?

I believe the poster was using irony. Something that flies over most posters little heads here. Duh.

Regards.

So a day at the seaside means I load my car with four deck chairs, a large unmbrella and stand and a table, then set it all up in the blazing sun; rather stay at home.

And yes you are correct , the hotels will be delighted to charge you for the priveledge of sitting on the beach which they do not own!

• Like 2

i like to sit on deck chair ,have some food ,beer ,for me thats what you do when your old ,look at the girls ,watch life go by ,50 years at work ,these are good days ,very very cheap ,look at the prices south france ,deck chair 80 euros a day ,thats just the start ,so thailand lets have some deck chairs ,some beach ,for those who wish to sit on the sand ,don't know why ,but clean up your act ,beach should be kept clean ,what about public W/C near the beach ,showers on the beach try to make thailand truly international tourist resort ,without hookers on the beach front

"Patong beach now seems more beautiful than beaches in Hawaii in the US, while Hua Hin has now become more upmarket and looks costly," Prakit said.

This bloke certainly doesn't travel very much...

i'm sure that lad can not even point Hawaii on a world map !

cheesy.gifbiggrin.pngtongue.pnglaugh.pngsmile.pngwhistling.gifwhistling.gifgiggle.gifcheesy.gif

would probably have trouble finding his own country on the map..w00t.gif

i like to sit on deck chair ,have some food ,beer ,for me thats what you do when your old ,look at the girls ,watch life go by ,50 years at work ,these are good days ,very very cheap ,look at the prices south france ,deck chair 80 euros a day ,thats just the start ,so thailand lets have some deck chairs ,some beach ,for those who wish to sit on the sand ,don't know why ,but clean up your act ,beach should be kept clean ,what about public W/C near the beach ,showers on the beach try to make thailand truly international tourist resort ,without hookers on the beach front

80 euros for a deckchair..sad.png i cant believe that...think you got scammed european style..or you couldnt work out the exchange rate...remember not every girl in a short skirt is a hooker...

I somehow doubt that the image of squaddies in combat kit carting off deck chairs is going to do much for the reputation of Thailand as a beach destination for tourists!

Edited by JAG

80 euros for a deckchair..sad.png i cant believe that...think you got scammed european style..or you couldnt work out the exchange rate...remember not every girl in a short skirt is a hooker...

Yes 80 euros is a bit out of it ?? I used to live in the South of France beside Cannes, and never came across that....

The problem is that these crackdowns, announced on a daily basis it seems, might be too little too late. Thailand is not the only available destination in SE Asia (surprise to some Thais). Everyone I know who goes to Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines, even Laos and Myanmar, comes back with one impression overall: how OVER-RATED Thailand is. When people start "discovering" new destinations, they ain't coming back.

The only thing that can save Thai tourism, temporarily, are the Chinese, who are avoiding some countries for political reasons. But even they eventually wake up.

Edited by elzach

Strange headline. The beaches were always full in high season and a lot of low season too in the right places. It's the martial law etc and everything that goes with it (unable to get travel insurance for example) that's keeping the tourists away, not the fact there were deck chairs on the beach.

I don't get it. Why am I meant to sit on a beach with out a chair, umbrella and small table? Answer I will not, I will get sun burnt, be uncomfortable in the extreme and have no place to put the ice and drinks.

As for the food, where is that?

I don't get it either. Do people really want to grill themselves under the scorching sun while laying on a beach towel ?

• Like 1

Strange headline. The beaches were always full in high season and a lot of low season too in the right places. It's the martial law etc and everything that goes with it (unable to get travel insurance for example) that's keeping the tourists away, not the fact there were deck chairs on the beach.

SO, Alwyn why do you have to post in a extreme way, It's the army that is keeping the tourists away ???? you know if you live here it is not.

If you were here on a 2 week holiday you decided to come and ignore the Marshal Law ?? never in a month of Sundays.

So my friend booked last Feb, you think he is not going to come because of ML. Marshall Law is affecting Patteya holiday makers.

Rip offs--scams of various, dangers about deaths, dirty beach areas, The last 3 years and before that is the problem you know that, why use the army as a scapegoat again---(agenda) ???

SO, Alwyn why do you have to post in a extreme way, It's the army that is keeping the tourists away ???? you know if you live here it is not.

If you were here on a 2 week holiday you decided to come and ignore the Marshal Law ?? never in a month of Sundays.

So my friend booked last Feb, you think he is not going to come because of ML. Marshall Law is affecting Patteya holiday makers.

Rip offs--scams of various, dangers about deaths, dirty beach areas, The last 3 years and before that is the problem you know that, why use the army as a scapegoat again---(agenda) ???

Ginjag, I've lived in Thailand since 2001. The scamming and rip-offs has always been going on, nothing has changed there. Please Buddha that the military junta can clear that up. But the fact is that even with the rip-offs and the jetski operator scum the beaches were always packed, each and every year tourists come and come back to Thailand's beaches. If they're not coming this year it's for a reason right? The fact is that it is not possible to get travel insurance in your home country when the country you want to travel too is under martial law. That's the difference. No amount of propaganda can change that. Great the beaches are clean, come back.. Oh wait, I still can't get travel insurance.. In fact, the beaches are not clean, they're still filthy, they just don't have sunbeds on them any more which means you have to lay directly on the dirty beach. My post is not extreme, it's just pointing out something. You find it extreme because because it doesn't fit with your rose tinted view of the Junta.

• Like 1

Ginjag, I've lived in Thailand since 2001. The scamming and rip-offs has always been going on, nothing has changed there. Please Buddha that the military junta can clear that up. But the fact is that even with the rip-offs and the jetski operator scum the beaches were always packed, each and every year tourists come and come back to Thailand's beaches. If they're not coming this year it's for a reason right? The fact is that it is not possible to get travel insurance in your home country when the country you want to travel too is under martial law. That's the difference. No amount of propaganda can change that. Great the beaches are clean, come back.. Oh wait, I still can't get travel insurance.. In fact, the beaches are not clean, they're still filthy, they just don't have sunbeds on them any more which means you have to lay directly on the dirty beach. My post is not extreme, it's just pointing out something. You find it extreme because because it doesn't fit with your rose tinted view of the Junta.

Look why is it Junta junta junta................it was Suthep Suthep Suthep...............The scams as you mentioned are vile--but at least the army is getting into many--jet ski etc--after 9 weeks.

I will wager that very few get travel insurance when coming on a 2 week holiday, we never did -to Spain Tunisia etc. If the beaches are dirty why go to them in the first place ???

sum up---Army to blame, because of no obtainable travel insurance---and deck chair problem.

this is why you post is OTT. for years there has been an ongoing problem jet ski--double pricing I would not normally just say for the sake of it---it was PTP fault. so why this. it's every bleeding time it is every body BUT ??? let go man you'll do your head in.

Whoa, I can speak French! laugh.png

edit: yeah, one soldier per chair, hilarious stuff! cheesy.gif

I wasn't there. Just perhaps the soldiers were at the end of the detail, with few chairs remaining to be carted off. Perhaps these soldiers were on light duty. Perhaps they had just carted off hundreds of chairs before the photo was taken. Perhaps I know what I don't know.

Often a photo does not show the whole story. It merely records a snipit in time.

Edited by Benmart

Look why is it Junta junta junta................it was Suthep Suthep Suthep...............The scams as you mentioned are vile--but at least the army is getting into many--jet ski etc--after 9 weeks.

I will wager that very few get travel insurance when coming on a 2 week holiday, we never did -to Spain Tunisia etc. If the beaches are dirty why go to them in the first place ???

sum up---Army to blame, because of no obtainable travel insurance---and deck chair problem.

this is why you post is OTT. for years there has been an ongoing problem jet ski--double pricing I would not normally just say for the sake of it---it was PTP fault. so why this. it's every bleeding time it is every body BUT ??? let go man you'll do your head in.

Understanding the levels of crime, thefts, rip offs etc, you really think people would come to Thailand without travel insurance? If they do, they deserve what they get (or lose). "if the beaches are dirty why go them in the first place"? Good question but people do. Maybe for the sun, warm water, a nice cocktail t their favourite beach shack? Each person for their own personal reason (in fact didn't I read a post by you just recently complaining about the dirty beach and lack of beach cleaning in Pattaya/Jomtien?) It doesn't matter how much you don't want to hear it but two things have changed which might stop tourists coming to Thailand's beaches, which I've kind of just covered. I'm not against the military junta - if I was at home and there was a junta there, I would be as I don't want my freedom curtailed but this isn't England is it. This country will (is already?) will be a dictatorship soon, maybe that's good thing? Maybe that's what Thais need? Tito did a fantastic job holding Yugoslavia together so dictatorships can work, I just wouldn't want one in my home country! Maybe Thailand will work better with a charismatic and strong dictator at the helm?

Edited by Alwyn

Understanding the levels of crime, thefts, rip offs etc, you really think people would come to Thailand without travel insurance? If they do, they deserve what they get (or lose). "if the beaches are dirty why go them in the first place"? Good question but people do. Maybe for the sun, warm water, a nice cocktail t their favourite beach shack? Each person for their own personal reason (in fact didn't I read a post by you just recently complaining about the dirty beach and lack of beach cleaning in Pattaya/Jomtien?) It doesn't matter how much you don't want to hear it but two things have changed which might stop tourists coming to Thailand's beaches, which I've kind of just covered. I'm not against the military junta - if I was at home and there was a junta there, I would be as I don't want my freedom curtailed but this isn't England is it. This country will (is already?) will be a dictatorship soon, maybe that's good thing? Maybe that's what Thais need? Tito did a fantastic job holding Yugoslavia together so dictatorships can work, I just wouldn't want one in my home country! Maybe Thailand will work better with a charismatic and strong dictator at the helm?

Sod all we can do about it all. only try to be optimistic.

Insurance-agreed most risk it. I am here- I cannot get it, over 72s bye bye... so I have to run the gauntlet. Most travelers do not care, they will say mai pen rai. you and I do think different --we are here.

There are going to be twists and turns on the way but could well get there in the end. If I was having a bet at turning Thailand round, I would wager Prayuth, forget the army bit. apart from Prem that is it here.thumbsup.gif

Whoa, I can speak French! laugh.png

edit: yeah, one soldier per chair, hilarious stuff! cheesy.gif

I wasn't there. Just perhaps the soldiers were at the end of the detail, with few chairs remaining to be carted off. Perhaps these soldiers were on light duty. Perhaps they had just carted off hundreds of chairs before the photo was taken. Perhaps I know what I don't know.

Often a photo does not show the whole story. It merely records a snipit in time.

Always, not just often.

I don't get it. Why am I meant to sit on a beach with out a chair, umbrella and small table? Answer I will not, I will get sun burnt, be uncomfortable in the extreme and have no place to put the ice and drinks.

As for the food, where is that?

I don't get it either. Do people really want to grill themselves under the scorching sun while laying on a beach towel ?

Problem is, it is all or nothing.

If they held an open tender for someone to take on the business in a marked area and it could be enforced that a certain amount of the beach could be used, then fine.

Reality is, they let one person do it, and the situation with go straight back to where it was. A mess.