USA Visa Form I-130: Certification of Translator

I'll be soon submitting an application for a US Visa for my wife.

Below is copied and pasted from the Instructions regarding translation of foreign language documents.

Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator’s certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

I submitted Thai language documents for translation to English via email. They were promptly translated and hard-copies mailed and soft-copies emailed to me. I paid by bank transfer. No problem. The translated docs are stamped, "Certified complete and correct translation" and signed by the translator.

I subsequently (repeatedly) asked, via email, for the "translator's certification", but I get no response.

(1) What exactly is the "translator's certification?" Is this similar to a business license?

(2) Is the United States Citizen Immigrant Services really strict about seeing a copy of the translator's certification?

(3) Why are they ignoring my email? I used what appears to be a very large translation company in BKK.

I printed out the homepage of the translation company's website. Can this suffice as proof of their validity?

I'd think your solution to the problem is fine, but then, what do I know....

Are you submitting the I-130 and associated documents to the U.S. CIS office in Bangkok for Direct Consular Filing (DCF)? If so, you might either call them or send your Q via email.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/usgmain/uscis.html

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Address: Sindhorn Building
Tower 2, 15th Floor
130-132 Wireless Road
Bangkok 10330, THAILAND

Tel.: 02-205-5352/5382 (within Thailand)
Tel.: 011-662-205-5352 (from the United States)

Email: [email protected]

Mac

I'd think your solution to the problem is fine, but then, what do I know....

Are you submitting the I-130 and associated documents to the U.S. CIS office in Bangkok for Direct Consular Filing (DCF)? If so, you might either call them or send your Q via email.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/usgmain/uscis.html

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Address: Sindhorn Building

Tower 2, 15th Floor

130-132 Wireless Road

Bangkok 10330, THAILAND

Tel.: 02-205-5352/5382 (within Thailand)

Tel.: 011-662-205-5352 (from the United States)

Email: [email protected]

Mac

Yes, I am submitting the I-130 and associated docs to the US CIS office in Bkk for DCF.

I got the answer. The US Embassy officially recognizes 6 different translation companies, but acknowledges that there are many more. Attached is a list of those 6 companies.

A photocopy of the translation company's certification issued to them by the Thai government must be obtained from any translation company that is not on the US Embassy's list. In other words, a copy of their occupational license must be obtained. They should be able to scan this and email it to any client who makes a request.

translators_photographers.pdf

A photocopy of the translation company's certification issued to them by the Thai government must be obtained from any translation company that is not on the US Embassy's list. In other words, a copy of their occupational license must be obtained. They should be able to scan this and email it to any client who makes a request.

Where did you get this requirement? I've never heard of this, and if true is a new requirement.

Where did you get this requirement? I've never heard of this, and if true is a new requirement.

I called USCIS at Tel.: 02-205-5352. USCIS said a business license issued to them by the government allows them to provide translation services.

Again....the below is taken for the Form I-130 Instructions.

(1) Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct,

and

(2) Any foreign language document must be accompanied by the translator’s certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.