Giant saltwater crocodile kills Australia fisherman

webfact

Giant saltwater crocodile kills Australia fisherman

ADELAIDE: -- A man has been killed by a giant saltwater crocodile as he was fishing with his wife in northern Australia.

The man, 57, was attacked by the 4.5-metre (15ft) reptile as he waded into the Adelaide River to unsnag his line, south of Darwin.

His wife heard a scream and turned around only to see "a tail splashing in the water", officials said.

The body was found a few hours later, and the crocodile was shot dead by the police.

The man - whose name has not been released - is the fourth person to be killed by a crocodile in Australia's Northern Territory this year.

The attack took place in a stretch of the river close to where cruise ships show sightseers crocodiles leaping from the water to snatch chicken carcasses suspended from poles.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28846763

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-08-19

The attack took place in a stretch of the river close to where cruise ships show sightseers crocodiles

Seems like wading in carried slightly more risk than was worth taking, no? Cutting the line would have been my option.

• Like 1

I don't wish to be bitten/eaten by a 5metre croc, but this is not a 'giant'.

The really big ones in the Territory are 7metres long.

As hunting crocs is not permitted, unless they've eaten some unwary fisherman, their numbers are increasing, as is their size, and spreading further south as the waters warm up.

You don't know what or who you're missing if you don't visit the Northern Territory!

• Like 2

The attack took place in a stretch of the river close to where cruise ships show sightseers crocodiles

Seems like wading in carried slightly more risk than was worth taking, no? Cutting the line would have been my option.

Probably better to quote the whole sentence:

"The attack took place in a stretch of the river close to where cruise ships show sightseers crocodiles leaping from the water to snatch chicken carcasses suspended from poles."

Not sure what the learning capacity is for your average crocodile, but it sounds like the cruise ships have been training them to grab at whatever opportunistically appears dangled or splashing about nearby.

• Like 1

A crocodile sees an animal as no more than a food source. A human is an animal and a croc doesn't see the difference between man and a Kangaroo who has entered into their territory that being the waters edge.

Crocs are a totally protected species in Australia and their numbers are growing fast. Just stay away from the waters in the Northern Territory and North Queensland and you will be safe.

In Australia just about everything that walks, crawls, slivers, swims or flies is a danger. There are apparently around 72 species that can/will kill a man/woman if need be. A kangaroo can disembowel a man in a blink of an eye an emu can do the same.

• Like 1

Why is this news? Everything is trying to kill you there, ive had to do a runner from a few brown snakes that ive disturbed while going for a walk

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-11/enhanced/webdr05/20/21/enhanced-buzz-5040-1385000223-15.jpg

gotta keep up appearances. keep them sharks and crocs in the spotlight. no one has a clue how quick that brown snake can kill u, and how aggressive it is, the bloody thing will chase you. darn right, why is this news?

Why is this news? Everything is trying to kill you there, ive had to do a runner from a few brown snakes that ive disturbed while going for a walk

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-11/enhanced/webdr05/20/21/enhanced-buzz-5040-1385000223-15.jpg

gotta keep up appearances. keep them sharks and crocs in the spotlight. no one has a clue how quick that brown snake can kill u, and how aggressive it is, the bloody thing will chase you. darn right, why is this news?

So aggressive the eastern brown snake......certainly makes the Thai Cobras look like a walk in the park. I love the way the Americans go on about their 'Gators'..... talk about pussy wild life. NOW I DEFINATELY don't want to come up against one of their grissly's. lol.

Probably better to quote the whole sentence:

"The attack took place in a stretch of the river close to where cruise ships show sightseers crocodiles leaping from the water to snatch chicken carcasses suspended from poles."

Not sure what the learning capacity is for your average crocodile, but it sounds like the cruise ships have been training them to grab at whatever opportunistically appears dangled or splashing about nearby.

I think 20'000000+ years of evolution has more likely led to them opportunistically grabbing anything within reach.

News is often the obituary that we all will be the subject of.

The fleet of foot may also be the subject of certain brown snakes at night.

Think, Think, Think.

So sorry for his wife and family, but fishing in the Adelaide River deserves an honourable mention in the Darwin Awards. I can't believe he waded in to the river to un-snag a line!

And them reptiles are cunning buggers - no need to offer them dinner on a plate. I never even run a deep bath when I'm in Darwin....can't be too careful.

• Like 1

In Australia just about everything that walks, crawls, slivers, swims or flies is a danger. There are apparently around 72 species that can/will kill a man/woman if need be. A kangaroo can disembowel a man in a blink of an eye an emu can do the same.

yep . . . and you can even die from laughter, simply by looking at a Duck-billed Platypus.