Motorcycle Thai road trip Insurance etc

spacedcowboy

Hi I'm considering a road trip on a motorcycle around Thailand.

Firstly I'll be travelling on main artery roads

So I need to know peoples opinions on the following

To rent or buy a bike? Are road bikes expensive to buy and can they be sold fairly easily after the trip. Is there a healthy big used market for big bikes.

Can I purchase (as a 2 month tourist) Motorcycle Insurance to cover me fully comprehensive i.e. medical cover aswell from a Legit well regarded Thai Insurance Brokers I'll need an airtight policy. Or should I arrange cover before leaving the UK.

Finally any suggestions or opinions from people that have (actually done this or ride big bikes regularly in Thailand) good or ad idea what level of hassles will I encounter.

Thanks in advance of any help

I would suggest renting a bike for 2 months and if the dealer is reputable no need for extra insurance.

Agree about renting but I don't understand why you feel there is no need for extra insurance? Have you never been to a Thai government hospital?

Buying would be more economical but also time consuming. Plus, buying 2nd hand is always a lottery..!!

If you did go this route, a nice low mileage CBR250 or even a 500 would be good value. Better if you have someone to leave it with to sell when you depart, or take a big hit if trying to sell in a hurry.

Buying 2nd hand might bring the added bonus of a bike having 1st class insurance already, so look for that when checking classifieds.

Personally, I would buy a 2nd hand with 1st class insurance. Don't worry about transferring into your name, just make sure you have the 2 reqd forms and ID copy from seller, then just sell when you leave.

2 months, you lucky ฿&@?!฿

• Like 1

I would suggest renting a bike for 2 months and if the dealer is reputable no need for extra insurance.

Agree about renting but I don't understand why you feel there is no need for extra insurance? Have you never been to a Thai government hospital?

Precisely the very reason you do need good extra insurance thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

just rent a bike if it is only for two months.

you can always get an accident insurance by yourself but you need a driving/riding license. If you have one from home, it works here.

have good rides!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

for peace of mind you might want to consider additional coverage from the UK, presumably you are getting travel insurance, insureandgo for example offer additional motorcycle benefit and that will cover all belongings, medical etc. It is really cheap. I did a trip last year and the additional coverage for up to 45 days was only around £35, you'll need to call them for quotes as its easier and you will have to have a full UK bike licence.

Bike insurance and travel/health insurance (which you should have anyway) are two different things.

A lot of renters (in Chiang Mai) will do a deal on long term rental and include insurance. eg 'Tonys Big Bike Hire'. See Rideasia and GTrider websites for more info.

Direct travel in the UK do well priced travel insurance with no MC size limit but you must have a licence.

Have fun.