Thai report: World 'won't accept' brass as foreign minister

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever, or whatever they choose, be it man, beast, alien life-form, will be a huge improvement to the previous Foreign minister. I shudder to think of the damage done by these Thaksin sycophants that had no business being in government in any capacity, let alone FM and PM.

Perverse comment given Thailand's international reputation under the last government improved greatly following the the disastrous tenure as Foreign Minister of the ludicrous Kasit.Yingluck's charm and legitimacy was recognised all over the world to the benefit of Thailand.On the current international reputation of the Thailand government I could not possibly comment.

Churchill's charm, Thatcher's charm, So you need charm to be great--Ha ha.

It helps but it is more important to be legitimate.

• Like 2

Whoever, or whatever they choose, be it man, beast, alien life-form, will be a huge improvement to the previous Foreign minister. I shudder to think of the damage done by these Thaksin sycophants that had no business being in government in any capacity, let alone FM and PM.

Perverse comment given Thailand's international reputation under the last government improved greatly following the the disastrous tenure as Foreign Minister of the ludicrous Kasit.Yingluck's charm and legitimacy was recognised all over the world to the benefit of Thailand.On the current international reputation of the Thailand government I could not possibly comment.

Churchill's charm, Thatcher's charm, So you need charm to be great--Ha ha.

40+% in -the darling of Issan, her party found out and disgraced, nominated by her brother who controlled her and PTP while on the run--legitimate.

At least the UK persons were there because of their vast experience. Yingluck ??? PM, Defense Minister, She worked her way up the rank and file to be the worthy head of a country---JOKE.

40+% in -the darling of Issan, her party found out and disgraced, nominated by her brother who controlled her and PTP while on the run--legitimate.

At least the UK persons were there because of their vast experience. Yingluck ??? PM, Defense Minister, She worked her way up the rank and file to be the worthy head of a country---JOKE.

Not going to war over a piece of land with a temple on it but instead taking the matter to the UN International Court of Justice and then following their verdict seems rather successful and worthy to me (and probably to quite a few soldiers and civilians an both sides, too).

• Like 2

Kasit, educated at Oxford, fluent English speaker, attempting to best serve the Kingdom of Thailand during a trying period of red terrorism. Compared to Surapong, no English skills, and put in FM position solely to serve his cousin, who is a wanted criminal on the run. Which one was disastrous??

Kasit by a considerable measure.An incompetent fatuous loudmouth with a terrorist record.And he didn't study at Oxford let alone graduate.

Surapong was no Metternich but under Yingluck Thailand's international reputation improved immeasurably so that the country stood in high regard.Whether that situation is true today I leave to others to consider.

as if the FM who gave the fugitive back his passport and erase all the arrest warrants from the DSI computer during a routine computer "update" was any better. Yea if it has democracy and elected preceding it, developed countries seems to be able to overlook what comes after that. Not saying generals appointing their own who has no experience is any better, just rant ...

agree real Thai style democracy--giving a convict on the run his passport back. Fantastic foreign minister.

Hmmm. John Kerry, the current US Secretary of State was a former military officer. Ditto General Powell under the Bush Administration. We've had Presidents who were military officers. Anyways, whatever.....

Closer to home - PM of Singapore is Brigadier-General Lee.

• Like 1

Kasit is a career diplomat, he has been involved in the foreign ministry since the late '60s. Apart from being born with a silver spoon in his mouth, Surapong has no qualifications whatsoever to be a FM. It is pointless attempting to debate the facts with you as you are relying solely on an emotional viewpoint(your love for all things Shin), as compared to my observations as a neutral bystander.

I am aware that Kasit spoke at the rally outside the airport, but don't remember him being convicted for terrorism. Can you point out the relevant source for your far-fetched claim?

Apologies for doubting a neutral observer even though you have invented an entirely false Oxford education for Kasit.His part in the criminal seizure of the airports is fully documented and he has never apologised for his role.

He was an incompetent as FM and an embarrassment to Abhisit.Anyway the main point is Yingluck's government saw a major improvement in Thailand's foreign relations, rather a contrast to its current status as pariah.

You keep repeating that Yingluck's government saw a 'major improvement.....'. Over what? Abhisit's government? Don't believe you for one moment.

Kasit was no great shakes but he was outdone by Surapong as a buffoon in the international arena. Having 3 Shin family members in Thailand's 'face' to the world was a joke. Yes, they were welcomed in a diplomatic way but this means nothing.

Given Thailand's stature in the international arena, they could appoint a headless Chalerm & it wouldn't make a difference. Having good diplomats in the Foreign Ministry does make a difference.

I doubt you understand much about this.There was an international advantage for Yingluck's government given it had a genuine popular mandate unlike that of Abhisit.Kasit was an incompetent motormouth who did the country much damage during his tenure (think an aircraft in Germany for an example).Surapong just didn't make much of an impression but had better manners and attitude than his terrorist predecessor.As far as being welcomed in a diplomatic way the present Junta would give their grandmothers away for a sniff of this given their isolated pariah status being even banned from travelling to some countries such as Australia.

We will pick whomever we like, the world is not our father.

Both true, but Thailand wiuld do well to take heed of international diplomatic norms or risk being frozen out of the club.

we??lol.....the general will pick whoever he wants.....aint no we in the equation

• Like 1

We will pick whomever we like, the world is not our father.

You cannot pick whoever you like and the world while not your father is most certainly part of your family. Your statement shows the typical Thai mentality which has stopped its progress in its own country and the rest of the world. If we adopted your mentality we would still be in the stone age which you are not far removed from.