Skytrain in Chiang Mai

iancnx

I think it was last year I read an article on the initial plan. It was to run from the airport to the convention centre, with a spur running East down Huay Kaow towards the railway station and beyond. Anyone have any update on the planning process?

I have a nice map, produced in Germany, of Chiang Mai city, showing all the stations. Just two stops from Kad Suan Keow to the Night Market.

The way the traffic is building up and the huge number of condos under construction, it's getting too much like BKK.

Maybe a public bus service as a first step, but the Song Teows do a good job.

I see some are having a larf. New transport infrastructure was a key part of the planning for the Convention Center. Waiting for someone who knows about this rather than the misinformed little piggies who no doubt live next to the market.

I see some are having a larf. New transport infrastructure was a key part of the planning for the Convention Center. Waiting for someone who knows about this rather than the misinformed little piggies who no doubt live next to the market.

If you don't read the news you are uninformed, if you do you are missinformed. Oink, oink.

• Like 2

If you don't read the news you are uninformed, if you do you are missinformed. Oink, oink.

Please share any news you may have on this topic, as I live 4 hrs drive away, hence my question.

ps. I have real little piggies in my garden.

I asked my Thai neighbor about a light rail system for CM and he said it won't get budget approval as CM doesn't have control over these funds. Decisions are made in bkk..

Traffic in the near and far future will become the #1 problem on why foreigners start to choose elsewhere to retire and will see significant # of CM ex-pats moving out of the area.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it...

CB

. .

I asked my Thai neighbor about a light rail system for CM and he said it won't get budget approval as CM doesn't have control over these funds. Decisions are made in bkk..

. .

Some might say there is now a good chance the powers that be in BKK will want to invest in CM in the round. I wouldn't write off the possibility at all. Fingers crossed eh?

Traffic in the near and far future will become the #1 problem on why foreigners start to choose elsewhere to retire and will see significant # of CM ex-pats moving out of the area.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it...

CB

. .

Do you think the Thai government will care when this exodus begins (began)?

I love the idea of a public transport system for CM, don't get me wrong.

Just won't see it happen in this eon, or the next most likely.

Rough estimate based on watching them build a Japanese style light rail system in Phoenix, would be 50 million USD per kilometer in Mueang, CNX. Land acquisitions would be a huge cost/issue, relocating/upgrading utility lines also very costly. We started paying Metro Tax for the DC Metro, and it didn't come to our area for 29 years.......I've heard Swampy was 40 years in the making. Even a fixed rail line up and down Hang Dong Rd. would be a major undertaking.

A crackdown on merchants, who refuse to give footpath access would be much more practical/feasible at this point. Gotta start somewhere.

they built this mono rail in Las Vegas, but the cab company mafia made it end 3 miles short of the terminal. As a result of ridership being low, they had to jack up fare, and now fewer people ride it, and it is hemorrhaging money big time. I can't imagine our beloved Red Taxi mob would ever do anything like that.

Completely impractical, and will never happen. Beautiful map, but where are they going to run these light rail cars? Down the center of the road? You will never be able to get across to them for traffic, plus the roads are not wide enough on the proposed routes. Down the side of the roads? Property acquisition would be prohibitive.

Cable cars and tunnels to Mae Hong Son spring to mind!

We seem to be stuck on the idea of ABOVE ground. The BKK system is so slow, and such a small area, with the exception of the train out to the airport.

Go underground like all the major cities around the world. Fast, efficient, out of sight, no land takeovers apart from stations. The technology is there, but just possibly the money isn't.

Does anyone have figures on population growth in Chiang Mai in the past 5 years, and projected population? The number of new condos opening up in the past few years is amazing.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of urban planning, and where are the parks? Can't walk around the footpaths - they've already been invaded by motor bikes.

• Like 2

Completely impractical, and will never happen. Beautiful map, but where are they going to run these light rail cars? Down the center of the road? You will never be able to get across to them for traffic, plus the roads are not wide enough on the proposed routes. Down the side of the roads? Property acquisition would be prohibitive.

We seem to be stuck on the idea of ABOVE ground. The BKK system is so slow, and such a small area, with the exception of the train out to the airport.

Go underground like all the major cities around the world. Fast, efficient, out of sight, no land takeovers apart from stations. The technology is there, but just possibly the money isn't.

Does anyone have figures on population growth in Chiang Mai in the past 5 years, and projected population? The number of new condos opening up in the past few years is amazing.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of urban planning, and where are the parks? Can't walk around the footpaths - they've already been invaded by motor bikes.

Haha, go underground. Have you seen the wiring here, they can't even get that put underground like most places around the world have already done.

100 years plus or minus a year or two before CM gets a MRT.

This has been raised before and I believe the problem is to do with the water table level and flooding area/plain

• Like 2

Just looking at the routes was wondering if a sky train was put on them how many of the roads have the space to allow them. Would it not make some streets far worse?

I can see no way in he-l that it would imp[rove the traffic at the Super highway where Maya is located. They would need three of them to make a difference.