Non B Single Entry (for WP) in KL

I'm just back from applying for a single entry B visa, before applying for a work permit, in Kuala Lumpur and have to say the whole attitude there has changed.

When I have been before (for the same thing) there has been a cursory inspection of the documents before most are returned as unwanted and they then take your money and come back the next day to collect it.

This time they take ALL the documents and told me to wait, they were all duly inspected and as I didn't have the Ministry of Labour approval letter I was rejected. This is for a new company and when I last did the same thing 3 years ago, this was not needed. I wasn't singled out, absolutely everybody was having their applications inspected thoroughly before they were accepted and having to wait. I saw one other guy have the same issue as me and he asked when the rules had changed as a colleague of his at the same company had only recently got his visa, no problem without the approval letter. They told him it was 'with the new government'. That was after a bit of discussion and laughter from the staff (don't know what about...).

Does anybody out there know if there is anywhere in the region where they are still issuing Non B single entry visa without this letter?

It is something we can get, but it's just a pain to do as there are a lot more hoops to jump through - some of which seem to need the inevitable 'greasing' even when you have everything right. Thanks for your help!

After the episode where a whole wad of blank visa stickers were stolen from KL and started appearing in various dodgy people's passports, KL have been super strict and are now definitely the 'not to go to' place in SE Asia.

Penang are ok, but still require the Letter of Approval.

As Ubonjoe posted above, Singapore has been recently reported as being very strict on required documents, but not actually requiring the Letter of Approval.

Even if your company is new, there is nothing to prevent you successfully filing a WP1 or WP3 application and getting the Letter of Approval for the Non 'b' application. It also means that you are then well on the way to your WP being issued and being able to start work relatively quickly after you get back into Thailand with your nice new 90 day non 'b' stamp in your passport.

• Like 1

I just went to Phnom Pehn last week for a 3 month non B. I didn't have the labor approval letter either but had a bunch of other documents from my company. I really hate that stuff so Wed at about 5pm I went to one of the random travel agencies along the river that advertise visa services, gave them all my paperwork and paid $115 for the express service. $100 for normal service and the visa itself is $80 which is included in the $115 payment. My passport with my new non b was ready on Friday at 6pm. Very painless and PP is a lot cheaper to hang out than SG.