Samui immigration police checking for work permits

Are Samui immigration police doing a widespread check on foreign nationals that have stayed in the kingdom for long periods of time.

I currently have a Non-b visa and i am waiting for my work permit to be processed. Today i was looking after a friends business ( also the same place where i live) whilst my friend was away doing some business in Nathon and immigration police in plain clothes came in and started to ask how long i have been in the country and if i was working here. They asked to see my passport and mentioned that i've been in thailand a while i told them i am currently waiting for my work permit and i was just looking after my friend's place whilst she was away. They left and waited outside for my friend in a pickup truck for over an hour and then left.

I told a friend and they said this is happening a lot too farangs in samui at the moment

Should i be worried that i was helping a friend and they asked to see my passport or are they just looking for a bit of extra cash and are immigration police doing a widespread check on farangs in samui?

Would appreciate any feedback,

Thanks.

No Uniform, no ID's showing, a pick up truck! They want to talk to me have the uniformed police with a warrent come and take me to the the Main police station where there are witnesses.

Sounds like a spin off on the Music license scam of a few yeras back.

I have found if they take pictures of you and your home, just take pictures of them and thier vehicles, they usually leave in a hurry.

This is still a nation of laws. I have instructed my staff to call me or the police immediately if any one wants to question them or search them.

• Like 2