RICS Jobs in Thailand

Put it simply, does anyone have a good idea of the job market in Thailand - specifically property. Please bear in mind I'm relitively young, lacking experience and can't speak thai.

There doesn't seem a wealth of info in relation to the job market on the RICS website unfortunately.

troll?

your question is just way too general!

Just insert insert your home country instead of "Thailand " and you (hopefully will understand!

"does anyone have a good idea of the job market in "homecountry" - specifically property. Please bear in mind I'm relitively young, lacking experience and can't speak the language of "homecountry".

and

you do not need "a good idea of the job market in Thailand "

you seem to want some advice of how to find a job for yourself in Thailand.

roughly said, with no job experience at all, no job-education (no degree etc.)

being very young (20 ?), overall your chances are small!

You need a workpermit for working in Thailand and without qualification, your chances are near null.

Better earn some money, before you go to Thailand, and live with that money

Edited by dieter1

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across so abrupt.

The subject will not mean much to people outside the property world - RICS is the royal institute of chartered surveyors. It's a professional qualification and recognised worldwide and relatively sort after and hard to obtain

I have a degree, 2 masters and my line of work would be only really needed in either Bangkok (valuation) or major towns (development). I'm 25 and looking at the move in 2 years time.

I should have expanded sorry, but those who are in my line of work would have probably seen through the ambiguity.

Your qualifications would probably be more suited for local offices of large property consultancy firms like CBRE, Knight Franks, etc.

The local construction industry does not use a BQ following the SMM of RICS.

My mate did a few hard years in Poland before he got a plumb move to New York with CBRE.

I think he is now at Knights Frank earning a mint whistling.gif

RAZZ

• 8 months later...

Your qualifications would probably be more suited for local offices of large property consultancy firms like CBRE, Knight Franks, etc.

Been thinking of this comment, not sure I'd want a job with the major players such as DTZ, KF as I'd be moving to Thailand for a slice of paradise, not so much working just as hard as here in the UK but just in a different country.

Definitely have to weigh my options!

It is to your credit that you are not headstrong and that you are prepared to think about and plan your future.

I do think, however, that the advice you have been given is sound. Without prior experience in South East Asia and without the ability to speak Thai, I believe your best bet would be to work for one of the large companies that have been mentioned. At least for a couple of years.

There is a lot to be said for working for a reputable company that will pay you promptly, sort out your visa and work permit and more than likely have other expat staff who will be able to offer the sort of advice that is helpful to newcomers.

The thing is that competition will be strong, both from within these international companies and also from Thai nationals who are dual or multi lingual and who have the right to work and reside in Thailand. At the top end of the job market in Thailand there are some very capable applicants who will cost a lot less to hire than an expat.

Try and get offered the job you want from a UK based company. It's not easy but it's the most profitable way.

Been thinking of this comment, not sure I'd want a job with the major players such as DTZ, KF as I'd be moving to Thailand for a slice of paradise, not so much working just as hard as here in the UK but just in a different country.

Definitely have to weigh my options!

If you want a steady job, decent salary then you do want a job with one of the big companies. Unfortunately there is not to much demand unless you specialize in something like valuation. There would be jobs in things like property management which would be your best bet in getting into one of the big companies.

Bangkok is a big city where people work hard and long hours just the same as in other cities.

I am sure you could get a job as an agent in Pattaya flogging condo's (or could of done until recently) but the job security, work hours and salary are poor compared to working in the big multinationals, who take care of all your visa, tax stuff for you.

Dear OP I read another thread you commented on.

In honesty you've got zero chance especially if you don't speak Thai

Yes, being a member of RICS is a great qualification but it's not elitest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input. Perhaps it will ever remain a holiday destination.