Define Living in Thailand ...

David48

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would describe living in thailand as 'DANGEROUS"

You have to keep your wits about you.Its dangerous on the roads.The ladies are dangerous,always ready to suck you dry(no pun intended) for the sake of their family.Yes they will love you for(taking care) but thats all.

Posted by a bitter and twisted old man with no where to go!facepalm.gif

My definition of living in Thailand:

I agree with you 100% "DANGEROUS" especially regarding the ladies; I have lived with ladies from different backgrounds Bar Girls, Bank Girls, Girls that work in hotels my Dentist and they are all lovely; but at the end of the day the reality check is they all want your "money honey", and they are all under pressure from their family's - Mum, Dad (if he's about) big sisters and big brothers that don't want to work but stay at home "looking after mum" can put a lot of pressure on younger siblings to get as much money as possible by whatever means possible and it's not only Bar Girls the family's seem to turn a blind eye to the ways money is obtained.

I must say though possibly we created this problem by feeling sorry for them and giving them too muck for many years, like most humans the more you get the more you want.

As you say keep your wits about you, keep a check on your wallet, stay away from the holiday idiots, obey the laws, and you we will be OK and can have a great life for small money.

Posted by another bitter and twisted grumpy middle aged man! BUT when I really think about it I can honestly say I am actually enjoying every minute of my life living in Thailand.

I live Thailand nine months which I now call my home and two/three months in the country where my family live this works well for me and every time I travel I just can't wait to get back to my home in Thailand we are all very fortunate to be able to live and play like we want to.

I don't mean to take this thread off on a tangent but it is really quite sad about the image being portrayed by foreigners about ALL Thai woman. They are all not like that. In fact the greater portion are not. A few years after I moved here for a western company(7 years or so back) I dated a gal who was a manager at Tesco. When I met her family for her sisters wedding they were far better off then I was. There was no agenda to marry a foreigner to make her life or her families life better. Now fast forward and while that relationship did not work a few years after I met another gal. 3 years ago we married. She was/is fully self sufficient and has her own home and land which we live on. Her extended family all live quite comfortably and have no need for my money.

Once you get out of those high, target rich environments, of Pattaya, Phuket and parts of BKK they are just people like anywhere else without agendas. These statements tell me foreigners need to chose their women carefully just like anywhere else in the world.

Posted by quite a happy man living an easy life in Thailand with a great wife, good friends and nice family.

People might not like it but it is a fact and a big part of the definition of living in Thailand and that is what this board is about.

I have been here ten years living all over Thailand and this has been my experience in all places that I have lived and visited, and yes I meet people all the time very much in denial of the facts. One of the reasons me and my friends are so happy living here is because we accept things for what they are and do not try to change or mould anything.

• Like 2

You have to keep your wits about you.Its dangerous on the roads.The ladies are dangerous,always ready to suck you dry(no pun intended) for the sake of their family.Yes they will love you for(taking care) but thats all.

My definition of living in Thailand:

I agree with you 100% "DANGEROUS" especially regarding the ladies; I have lived with ladies from different backgrounds Bar Girls, Bank Girls, Girls that work in hotels my Dentist and they are all lovely; but at the end of the day the reality check is they all want your "money honey", and they are all under pressure from their family's - Mum, Dad (if he's about) big sisters and big brothers that don't want to work but stay at home "looking after mum" can put a lot of pressure on younger siblings to get as much money as possible by whatever means possible and it's not only Bar Girls the family's seem to turn a blind eye to the ways money is obtained.

I must say though possibly we created this problem by feeling sorry for them and giving them too muck for many years, like most humans the more you get the more you want.

As you say keep your wits about you, keep a check on your wallet, stay away from the holiday idiots, obey the laws, and you we will be OK and can have a great life for small money.

Posted by another bitter and twisted grumpy middle aged man! BUT when I really think about it I can honestly say I am actually enjoying every minute of my life living in Thailand.

I live Thailand nine months which I now call my home and two/three months in the country where my family live this works well for me and every time I travel I just can't wait to get back to my home in Thailand we are all very fortunate to be able to live and play like we want to.

I don't mean to take this thread off on a tangent but it is really quite sad about the image being portrayed by foreigners about ALL Thai woman. They are all not like that. In fact the greater portion are not. A few years after I moved here for a western company(7 years or so back) I dated a gal who was a manager at Tesco. When I met her family for her sisters wedding they were far better off then I was. There was no agenda to marry a foreigner to make her life or her families life better. Now fast forward and while that relationship did not work a few years after I met another gal. 3 years ago we married. She was/is fully self sufficient and has her own home and land which we live on. Her extended family all live quite comfortably and have no need for my money.

Once you get out of those high, target rich environments, of Pattaya, Phuket and parts of BKK they are just people like anywhere else without agendas. These statements tell me foreigners need to chose their women carefully just like anywhere else in the world.

Posted by quite a happy man living an easy life in Thailand with a great wife, good friends and nice family.

People might not like it but it is a fact and a big part of the definition of living in Thailand and that is what this board is about.

I have been here ten years living all over Thailand and this has been my experience in all places that I have lived and visited, and yes I meet people all the time very much in denial of the facts. One of the reasons me and my friends are so happy living here is because we accept things for what they are and do not try to change or mould anything.

I agree to your point that it is a small part of the living in TL and that this and any forum posters should able to speak candidly. The issue that I typically have is the greater portion of posters write with sweeping generalizations by saying ALL and of course this becomes the rule because ALL Thai woman want a foreigner man for his money and to take one for the family to make their lives better. I am sorry but that is not factual. Is this behavior prevalent in Pattaya, Phuket, certain areas in BKK?. Most certainly. Its where all the tourists go looking for it. Heck, they advertise it.

Like you I have lived all over TL (some working and some retired) but I specifically never lived or wanted to live in Pattaya and Phuket for the very reasons I mentioned above. Those areas give people/tourists a very jaded view of TL when in fact outside of those areas Its no different than living anywhere in the world. Its like people visiting/living in San Francisco tenderloin area and never leaving it and saying everybody is Gay in California.

I go about my life like I did in the US with a woman that has done nothing but want to share her life with me. I suspect that there are a lot of folks like me that just never post on forums. I have never given her family money, I have never bought a buffalo, she never "Sends money home", I never lived in the US while she stayed here and I wired her money etc. I guess my point is, that not ALL Thais are poor peasants that send their daughters out to track down and lure in foreigners so they can improve their quality of life. Not all Thai woman are bar girls or former bar girls. Does it happen, absolutely. Is it a shame..absolutely. But it is not the majority and surely not exclusive to TL, it happens everywhere in the world.

• Like 2

For me me me and me, Thailand was /is great. Then along came my great kids and as a responsible adult I had to do best by them.

So when they had to start school off we flew to the UK a great place to educate small kids if not the best place for old dad here. But if you want the best you have to invest. I keep two n a half homes going and we spend most of our time in the UK now and life is good, very good. biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.pngthumbsup.gif

Live here year round with no home in Scotland though not an issue as I have no intention of returning to live there again.

Yes, the roads are dangerous but so long as you are aware of your surroundings and are prepared to stand on the brakes all the time, driving here isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Alan

The first wake up, 4-5am, roosters crowing.

The second wake up 6-6.30am, the somewhat mellifluous tones of the monks chanting 10 metres from my window after they have received enough food to feed 10 people even though there is only two or three of them.

Knocking back all sorts of daft money making schemes, but sometimes being sucked in, rarer still one actually works.

Brunch with the family under the mamuang (mango) tree.

Dogs, lots of them, always hungry (except mine).

Zoning out the white noise of endless discussion of trivia and gossip.

Legs, smooth brown skin - lots of it, smiling faces and shorts on females.

Avoiding drunks in public.

Coming to a conclusion be it some mental arithmetic or unravelling some dilemma before anyone else.

Ignoring most road rules like everyone else (only locally though).

Becoming used to making commands to junior relatives and having them obeyed.

Giving up on trying to stop junior relatives littering. I know doesn’t work with the above unless the command is made each time they purchase a packet of chips or a drink ie 300 times a day.

Hoping the baht goes down or the dollar up. Never forget the money.

Avoiding scenes.

Sweet drinks.

Did I mention the eye candy?

• Like 1

to poster 'JAFO".............you are of course right in the posts you have made.Statements are often made in a generalised way"...as many of mine are,but i always think readers will figure this out.

your comment"choose your woman carefully" is spot on.The point about thais "will always put their family first" is also true.you and i will always be a poor second,its their culture and we just have to remember this.

• Like 2

odd, i dont seem to have these issues.

recently splitting my time between bangkok and manila for work, i can tell you bangkok is a walk in the park compared to the phils on all the counts you mentioned and then some.

As for living in thailand, i have lived in the same rental property here for almost 20 years, built a house here at the beach 10 years ago and have been to my home country once in the last 5 years and i have a child here who i raise as a single parent. does that qualify?

Edited by HooHaa

recently splitting my time between bangkok and manila for work, i can tell you bangkok is a walk in the park compared to the phils on all the counts you mentioned and then some.

As for living in thailand, i have lived in the same rental property here for almost 20 years, built a house here at the beach 10 years ago and have been to my home country once in the last 5 years and i have a child here who i raise as a single parent. does that qualify?

qualify for what?

qualify for what?

as living in thailand, do try to keep up.

Silly reply hoohaa.No one has to live here to qualify to make a comment.Its called freedom of speech,such as it is here in thailand

im sorry, i am really unclear as to what you are on about. you can comment all you wish. I can disagree.

but the OP was what is living in thailand and i posted my experience.

freedom of speech? i thought i was exercising my right to an opinion, as were you.

quit over-thinking things, it will drive you mad

to fill out the 2555 form for the IRS and classified as living outside the us

You must be out of the us for 330 days/year

having a 1 year non b, o extension

I think you are confusing minimum days to be qualified for a foreign earned income exclusion. Domicile for tax purpose is a very complex subject under US Tax Code.

OP, thank you for posting this question. I have been meaning to ask the same.

to poster 'JAFO".............you are of course right in the posts you have made.Statements are often made in a generalised way"...as many of mine are,but i always think readers will figure this out.

your comment"choose your woman carefully" is spot on.The point about thais "will always put their family first" is also true.you and i will always be a poor second,its their culture and we just have to remember this.

Excellent summing up and all very relevant to the subject of "Define Living in Thailand"

I would add: A Thai lady taking care of a foreigner although they may love you very much is viewed in their mind as work and they expect payment of some kind "my view/opinion" the love that we find here in Thailand is "conditional Love" not "unconditional love"; but I now accept this fact and it is fine by me and I enjoy it everyday.

Look at your finances how much it cost you to live alone and how much does it cost you to live with your partner?

Take out of the equation all the expenses like buying food and living essentials for two instead of one.

Where has the extra money gone - to the family? but if that makes you happy then carry on doing it that's your choice and I would say that's good for you or should I say "up to you".

Again only my opinion if you are paying you want the best not second best for your money, there are thousands of beautiful caring women here that only want the same as the not so attractive one's.

I sometimes think to my self in a moment of madness "I've found somebody different" - so my little test is I ask her to ask her MUM to help me raise money for a sick relative of mine back in my home country and will her Mum/Family contribute 1000B to the very expensive medical bills - many times my lady of the moment will offer to pay but never once has the mum offered and sometimes my lady is scolded for even asking the question some lady's are even to scared to ask mum.

I keep saying enjoy it for what it is don't try to change or mould to your ways you will be much happier living in Thailand.

• Like 1

Well, let's see; how about spending the vast majority of your time in Thailand than spending it somewhere else. I have more family within commuting distance in Thailand now than I have ever had anywhere else I have lived--and neither my wife nor I are Thai. I do not own in Thailand, I rent, but I have property in the States--in my own name too. I have not been back to the States in 8 years, but that is not unusual; was out 14 years in one stretch before and 5 or 6 years in a row a couple of other times. Spent a total of 38 years out of the States. You might say I am a recovering American.

I would add: A Thai lady taking care of a foreigner although they may love you very much is viewed in their mind as work and they expect payment of some kind "my view/opinion" the love that we find here in Thailand is "conditional Love" not "unconditional love"; but I now accept this fact and it is fine by me and I enjoy it everyday.

Foreign men generally aren't treated any different to Thai men, by Thai women.

The main problem being the foreign guy can't own his own house and the Thai guy can.

The only one to give a man unconditional love, anywhere in the world, is his dog.

OK maybe I agree but there are certain things I would rather be doing with my lady than my dog; ha each to his own what ever turns you on though, they say you can get anything in Thailand

• Like 1

I've sold up in the West and I'm 'all in' in Thailand and live here ... but I rent.

Also have no intention of letting property own me. The wife and I are free to go where we want. Renting is the only way to go.

Did I mention I am retired and have had all that home nonsense but the kids are grown up now and on their own.

• Like 2

@ Samuibeachcomber. I do of course filter it as such. I just occasionally put out a response to say my peace about it. I am very careful to avoid words like "all" and "everybody".

I also agree that a majority of Thai woman will always put their family first. It is the culture but I will say that is rapidly changing. In my case her parents are both deceased so I am not a second. But again all goes back to choosing the gal you might want to spend the rest of your life with wisely. Lots of blinders on in this country.

Edited by JAFO

Foreign men generally aren't treated any different to Thai men, by Thai women.

The main problem being the foreign guy can't own his own house and the Thai guy can.

The only one to give a man unconditional love, anywhere in the world, is his dog.

@ AnotheroneAmerican; While this has been discussed in probably hundreds of threads, a Foreigner can own the house, just not the land. I am on the title for the house with my wife, she has sole ownership for the land. No worries for me in the least bit. Its nice to own some land and your house to have some hobbies, place that you can do to it whatever you want and not worry the landlord just punted you. But again I fully understand people have different desires and wants. I think that is another thing that defines Thailand to me and makes it so enjoyable. You can do pretty much whatever you want. I like the fact that the wife and I can rent a villa or apartment on the beach for a month and relax for very little money. No 6 month lease, no first and last. most are fully furnished. We put the scooters in the back of the truck and go around the area having fun. This would be virtually impossible in the US unless you had a ton of cash. When we have had our fill we return home to a house paid for and no real bills to speak off.

@ Pattaya Lous, As for unconditional love, I will agree all love is conditional at some level, its no different anywhere else in the world. I think as humans we all expect something in return whether consciously or sub consciously when we believe we have the right person to share with. Isn't that the entire premise of "sharing"? I do think however the only real unconditional love comes from children very early on(infant up to say 3. Sadly that ends as they get older.

@AnotheroneAmerican: As for a pet and unconditional love. Well lets see. Stay locked in a house with him and do not feed him. At some point you will become the meal as he turns on you. So in someways its conditional..smile.png . Your pet EXPECTS you will feed him. The only difference is he cant talk to you. I prefer a woman.

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 2

work oil and gas,

also have a pig farm in thailand,

best of both worlds,

i say i live in thailand, some on here say i dont,,lol

There are a lot more worlds than oil and gas with a sider of pigs.

Try retirement.

not ready for retirement yet, i enjoy my work,,,,,, if that ok with you,,

the pig farm will be there for when i do decide to retire,,,

and feed shop

work oil and gas,

also have a pig farm in thailand,

best of both worlds,

i say i live in thailand, some on here say i dont,,lol

There are a lot more worlds than oil and gas with a sider of pigs.

Try retirement.

not ready for retirement yet, i enjoy my work,,,,,, if that ok with you,,

the pig farm will be there for when i do decide to retire,,,

and feed shop

I think you are retired Pigeonjake...biggrin.png . If you love what you do then it's not a job. The word retirement means so many different things to so many different people. I think most are afraid of it as they see it as sitting around doing nothing until they die. I see retirement as doing what I want, when I want on my terms. So if I take on a job its all for fun, If I do not like it, I walk. I do not have to listen to anybody telling me what to do.

• Like 2