Will Myanmar eventually switch back to right hand drive like American Samoa did?

badshah

Hi there, I'm new and just registered since I was able to somehow find a web site that is relevant to Burmese topics.

So being a former British colony, Burma/Myanmar used to drive on the left until 1970 thanks to a crackhead monk that convinced the military junta to switch to the right and has been in effect since then.

Since there are so many RHD cars in the country (cheap Japanese imports can entice anyone it seems like), and given the increase in trade between India and Thailand (both RHD countries), is there a chance that the government will eventually realize the errors of their ways and switch back to RHD? They're also losing out on lucrative imported vehicles from their once-colonial masters as well!

I wouldn't mind driving from Singapore to Pakistan without having to switch sides in between. Don't the Burmese rulers also want cheap RHD imports from India and Thailand as well?

This may be odd, but this kind of fascinates me and I'm hoping that they will switch back to driving on the left as they used to do. It makes more sense given their neighbors the west and east drive on the left and if it doesn't affect Pakistan being surrounded by LHD countries in the west and north, why should it affect Myanmar if all of their neighbors sans China drive on the left?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sincerely doubt it. http://chartsbin.com/view/edr . Your chances of being allowed to drive from Singapore to Pakistan, regardless of which side of the road. are also quite slim.

I figured the drive from there to Pak would be a pipe dream haha

But even then though, given the large number of RHD imports in the country, I'm sure a switch will have to be inevitable. American Samoa switched on the basis of RHD cars from NZ being substantially cheaper than the LHD ones, and given the western and eastern neighbors being RHD, it would be in its best interests for Burma/Myanmar to switch back to the left, especially if they want to foster closer ties to Thailand, India and the UK.

A few years ago there was a trans Asian highway system touted, as I recall each country were to upgrade certain roads to allow what you're referring to, seamless road travel.

The subject was reported in the Myanmar news at the time. I don't remember anyone talking about switching the side they drive on, but I do recall a proposal was put forward whereby certain roads that crossed Myanmar would match Thailand and India, but the local road system would remain as it is!biggrin.png

Never heard anymore about it after that, I think it kind of died.

Agreed, slim to bugger all chance of Myanmar switching the side of the road that they drive on, but I don't see why driving from Singapore to Pakistan is not possible.

In fact with some proper forward planning, along with resigning yourself to months of bureaucracy, form filling, and letter writing - I should think that driving from Singapore to Pakistan is entirely achievable.

I was in Yangon a few weeks ago and felt a little uncomfortable being a passenger on the "wrong side". Must admit though, drivers there were extremely cautious in their habits - I presume because insurance is largely unavailable. I only saw a dozen or so LH drive vehicles, so why they drive on the right is quite illogical.

Also noticed that there were no scooters anywhere in the city centre and it wasn't until you hit the outer areas that they were seen. A local told me that a General got hit by a scooter a number of years ago so he arbitrarily banned them from the city centre - not sure if that's true or not.

On the upside, the public transport/busses around Yangon was absolutely top notch!! whistling.gif I even saw one bus that had all the wheel nuts - standard practice seemed to be that anything better than four missing nuts was OK.

<snip> A local told me that a General got hit by a scooter a number of years ago so he arbitrarily banned them from the city centre - not sure if that's true or not.

Not quite, the accepted reason at the time was the sons of the Yangon elite were running around in gangs on motorbikes when they should have been in bed early or doing their chores, up to shenanigans at all hours of the night.

Or something like that.

I do remember it happening pretty much overnight back in late 1999? (others will be able to correct me on this)

It was Samoa that changed to driving on the left, not American Samoa. They still adhere to the American way. Must be confusing for the Samoans that may travel from Samoa to American Samoa regularly !!!! wub.png

Ah good point, my bad.

I'm pretty sure more Samoans travel from NZ to Samoa moreso than Samoa to American Samoa haha

I'm in agreement with the OP here. I've noted this before - if Myanmar changed back to driving on the left, one IN THEORY could drive from Pakistan to Tasmania on the same side of the road..

Al;though switching sides when changing countries is no big thing, Myanmar never did it properly, it was done overnight as the result of a "dream". Changing back would not require the massive upheaval ijut would in other countries.....so long as they do it SOON.

may be also Germany france, Russia, America, whole europe switch to the left, that some british do not have problems in driving,

why Myamar should switch? better is thailand switch, anyway they use both sides , so no diffrent,

and btw there is no cheap import in Asia, cars from thailand cost 2 -3 times more than in Europe, in some cases f used cars the cost 10 times more

than on EU market

You get used to it. I am driving in bangkok today and a few days from now will be back in yangon. I have LHD and RHD cars. The only difficulty is planning in my head in Myanmar. I am from Aust. So my mental map patterns sometimes conflict with reality in yangon. They will change it back after some wise astrologer tells a superstitious dictator that it is their only chance to stay in power. :)

I'm in agreement with the OP here. I've noted this before - if Myanmar changed back to driving on the left, one IN THEORY could drive from Pakistan to Tasmania on the same side of the road..

Al;though switching sides when changing countries is no big thing, Myanmar never did it properly, it was done overnight as the result of a "dream". Changing back would not require the massive upheaval ijut would in other countries.....so long as they do it SOON.

I wonder how we can somehow get the country to switch to driving back to the left so they can foster closer ties to ASEAN and South Asian countries for trade?

why you think about L HD or RHD ??? None of you will drive a car in Myanmar, because for foreighners its still forbidden to drive a car in that country!!!!!!!

Because it was originally RHD and it should revert to its original traffic flow as it was meant to be.

"So being a former British colony, Burma/Myanmar used to drive on the left until 1970 thanks to a crackhead monk that convinced the military junta to switch to the right and has been in effect since then.

Since there are so many RHD cars in the country (cheap Japanese imports can entice anyone it seems like), and given the increase in trade between India and Thailand (both RHD countries), is there a chance that the government will eventually realize the errors of their ways and switch back to RHD? They're also losing out on lucrative imported vehicles from their once-colonial masters as well!"

I cannot really understand this post. You say up until 1970 it was left hand drive. From then on it was switched to right hand drive and is still that way up to the present day. Then you ask do we think it will ever switch back to right hand drive.

Is it not right hand drive now as you have already stated?

Edited by dotpoom

"So being a former British colony, Burma/Myanmar used to drive on the left until 1970 thanks to a crackhead monk that convinced the military junta to switch to the right and has been in effect since then.

Since there are so many RHD cars in the country (cheap Japanese imports can entice anyone it seems like), and given the increase in trade between India and Thailand (both RHD countries), is there a chance that the government will eventually realize the errors of their ways and switch back to RHD? They're also losing out on lucrative imported vehicles from their once-colonial masters as well!"

I cannot really understand this post. You say up until 1970 it was left hand drive. From then on it was switched to right hand drive and is still that way up to the present day. Then you ask do we think it will ever switch back to right hand drive.

Is it not right hand drive now as you have already stated?

RHD = driving on the left, steering wheel on the right

LHD = driving on the right, steering wheel on the left

Think about the cost implications of changing all the road signs over.

Have a Nice Day.

Everyone has...and in Myanmar many of the urban roads etc have junctions designed for Drive-on-the-left already. It's more than road signs. I understand that in many places the old signs still exist.

Driving Myanmar interesting. Doesn't really matter what side your steering wheel is on.

So what is stopping the current rulers from switching back to the left? Surely there should be a large Burmese diaspora in the UK to influence such matters?

My wife and I have driven from Bangkok to Singapore and return which was easy since all 3 countries are right hand drive. I believe Myanmar has a border with India as well as Bangladesh - both RHD countries. Given Myanmar's interest in supporting tourism, they might agree to allow tourists to drive through to Thailand. Pakistan to India might be trickier given their poor relations. However, buses are now running, so it might be possible.

Our trip through Malaysia to Singapore was easy from an administrative view point - very little red tape. And the driving itself was breeze until we got to Singapore, got lost because our GPS didn't have Singapore maps, and had to hire a taxi to take us to our hotel! Great fun all the way. Want to do it again while I still a can - I'm 77 and made the trip when I was 70. Cheers