Digital nomad, online workers.. Permission !

The whole idea of an incoming person to any country "taking the job of a local" is a kind of archaic concept that never bore much examination anyway. Aside from its irrelevance to the digital nomad scenario, generally, people of talent and aptitude bring work creating potential into a country. Obviously this is less true the lower down the "talent/aptitude" scale you go, but not in the entrepreneurial environment.

does america allow anybody to come and live permanently and work as a digital nomad?

In a word yes In the US after you get green card you can word in any field you choose There are Thai's who have restaurants, bars, liquors stores, work in all industries Even massage palors. Anything they choose to work in. Next

but the fact is, your not comparing apples with apples relative to the sitation in Thailand, in the case of the example you give in the US, these people have legally migrated to the US and are permanent residents of US, ie the green card, thus more correct comparison, would be to say can one turn up in the US as tourist, "set up shop" and live there just about permanently on visa's... no you cant

one suspects if Thailand did ever get to the point of having a "green card" type system, the people who are complaining about the system currently in Thailand, would still be complaining, simply because they may not qualify for legalised migration anyway.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The whole idea of an incoming person to any country "taking the job of a local" is a kind of archaic concept that never bore much examination anyway. Aside from its irrelevance to the digital nomad scenario, generally, people of talent and aptitude bring work creating potential into a country. Obviously this is less true the lower down the "talent/aptitude" scale you go, but not in the entrepreneurial environment.

Much truth in your above comments.

But what is the problem for people of talent and aptitude bringing work creating potential into the country by traditional means, ie, setup a business and employ people?

This is the part I don't understand, that someone related to IT be treated differently.

And please don't say it is impossible to do this. Shortly after arriving in Thailand, I was employed as system administrator for a company running Windows, Exchange & SQL servers. My contribution to Thailand through this work was that my work permit was issued that my job description included a training section from which I would help Thais in the server infrastructure scope. Rewarding!

And that was when I was under 50 years old...............

I am all for people using the technology available to make a living, it is the way to go. What I am not for however, is people thinking they are something special, or rather thinking that they should be treated special when they are not willing to bring anything to the table. Those that have a little knowledge of IT will likely understand what that means.

I don't think there's any problem with people bringing the ability to employ Thais and set up a company. Someone's "one man band" online work could easily grow to that point if it were successful enough. Except that it is difficult for the foreigner to grow that possibility from scratch, in Thailand.

But this is exactly my point. What would the argument be to give someone a visa because they are a self proclaimed digital nomad, but they need a country to allow them to stay so that maybe they will develop into something?

IMHO, if it was a foreigner's intention to contribute to the country they have chosen to live in, they would need to have the skill set and infrastructure before they arrive.

Then they can apply for the non-B visa and a work permit...................wink.png

What about those with said skills but who are starting out in their industry? Even back home this can be troublesome due to economies, but not everyone has 2 mil baht and wants to hire 4 Thai nationals, sorry

Ultimately the powers that be will decide the way forward.

Will they stand firm with the present semi feudal, rent seeking model or will they embrace new economic realities?

Will Thailand become a hub for innovation, new business and trade?

Or will it cling to its preeminent position as the worlds leading supplier of massage and related entertainment.

Policies around visas, business and taxation would indicate the latter.

I don't see how people working online, individuals who engage no one , no interaction with Thais, no business with Thais, selling services and goods outside of the country, will bring Thailand out of the 'feudal" era. The whole argument as to why digital nomads should be allowed to stay is that they don't take jobs away from Thais, don't earn money here, don't have customers here, etc.

So how are they going to make Thailand a hub of innovation and new business and trade when they don't have anything to do with the country?

Au contraire. Their presence is a free moneypot for the country because there is a simple flow of money INTO the Thailand system from online workers whose businesses are economically sourced outside of Thailand. Exactly the same as retirement visa situation. "Thank you very much. We understand that you make a lot of money elsewhere. Please spend it in Thailand, for which we'd be very grateful."

True, but there's more than that.

An environment in which trade and work can be accomplished attracts ancillary industries and the free low of ideas and capital. Locals invariably participate as they recognise opportunities and they are well positioned to take advantage of them due to their proximity, facilities and relevant talents etc.

Thai youth had a future in the jewellery industry here - until the overwhelming weight of restriction and bureaucracy murdered it - Hong Kong is now the centre of gravity for the trade. Most of the worlds buyers don't bother coming here anymore - they go straight to Hong Kong. For a while we saw increasing numbers of trading offices and business's opening here - now they are closing. The annual Thai Gem and Jewellery Show used to attract huge numbers - now its an embarrassment.

The movie industry got going here for a minute - Thais got involved and we saw some terrific growth - but its been stagnating over the last few years - crippled by local bureaucracy.

The IT industry is extremely diverse and complicated - call centres, software development, trade - it is the market place of the future. Business's throughout the world are being managed, promoted and their products marketed via the internet. Some of the biggest EBay stores used to be in Thailand, employing large numbers of people. There's a bit of activity still here - but there's no compelling gravity for legitimate operations and thus local support is not competitive. Even the best Thais in the industry go abroad.

Thailand got into the decor business, designers came from all over the world - and it really got going. It was nearly on the map as a centre for design and the manufacture of high end furnishings. Now it struggles to be relevant.

What tends to happen is that when a new project, business or industry reaches a critical mass - it attracts the attention of authorities, who mercilessly choke it with red tape. They are experts at this. The ever changing host of byzantine rules, regulations and variable degrees of enforcement eventually culminate in a realisation, i.e. they want every last penny and if that means your destruction, loss of competitiveness, loss of local jobs and destruction to the industry as a whole, that's just fine. The parasite kills the host.

What about those with said skills but who are starting out in their industry? Even back home this can be troublesome due to economies, but not everyone has 2 mil baht and wants to hire 4 Thai nationals, sorry

What about them ?....in my industry I spent nearly 10 years working in my own country before I got the break to work internationally and I was lucky it was only 10 years

Ultimately the powers that be will decide the way forward.

Will they stand firm with the present semi feudal, rent seeking model or will they embrace new economic realities?

Will Thailand become a hub for innovation, new business and trade?

Or will it cling to its preeminent position as the worlds leading supplier of massage and related entertainment.

Policies around visas, business and taxation would indicate the latter.

I don't see how people working online, individuals who engage no one , no interaction with Thais, no business with Thais, selling services and goods outside of the country, will bring Thailand out of the 'feudal" era. The whole argument as to why digital nomads should be allowed to stay is that they don't take jobs away from Thais, don't earn money here, don't have customers here, etc.

So how are they going to make Thailand a hub of innovation and new business and trade when they don't have anything to do with the country?

Au contraire. Their presence is a free moneypot for the country because there is a simple flow of money INTO the Thailand system from online workers whose businesses are economically sourced outside of Thailand. Exactly the same as retirement visa situation. "Thank you very much. We understand that you make a lot of money elsewhere. Please spend it in Thailand, for which we'd be very grateful."

True, but there's more than that.

An environment in which trade and work can be accomplished attracts ancillary industries and the free low of ideas and capital. Locals invariably participate as they recognise opportunities and they are well positioned to take advantage of them due to their proximity, facilities and relevant talents etc.

Thai youth had a future in the jewellery industry here - until the overwhelming weight of restriction and bureaucracy murdered it - Hong Kong is now the centre of gravity for the trade. Most of the worlds buyers don't bother coming here anymore - they go straight to Hong Kong. For a while we saw increasing numbers of trading offices and business's opening here - now they are closing. The annual Thai Gem and Jewellery Show used to attract huge numbers - now its an embarrassment.

The movie industry got going here for a minute - Thais got involved and we saw some terrific growth - but its been stagnating over the last few years - crippled by local bureaucracy.

The IT industry is extremely diverse and complicated - call centres, software development, trade - it is the market place of the future. Business's throughout the world are being managed, promoted and their products marketed via the internet. Some of the biggest EBay stores used to be in Thailand, employing large numbers of people. There's a bit of activity still here - but there's no compelling gravity for legitimate operations and thus local support is not competitive. Even the best Thais in the industry go abroad.

Thailand got into the decor business, designers came from all over the world - and it really got going. It was nearly on the map as a centre for design and the manufacture of high end furnishings. Now it struggles to be relevant.

What tends to happen is that when a new project, business or industry reaches a critical mass - it attracts the attention of authorities, who mercilessly choke it with red tape. They are experts at this. The ever changing host of byzantine rules, regulations and variable degrees of enforcement eventually culminate in a realisation, i.e. they want every last penny and if that means your destruction, loss of competitiveness, loss of local jobs and destruction to the industry as a whole, that's just fine. The parasite kills the host.

does your home country allow everyone that call themselves digital nomads to come and live and work permanently??

• Like 1

This forum is entitles Thai visas, residency and work permits So if all from Post #304 above is true how does one get across to anyone in a position to do anything about work permits and visas that such is true and will have deleterious effects on the long-term Thai economy. If you want to debate Thai microeconomics fine. But that doesn't change anything.

From the Screenplay for All The President's Men (Bob Woodward played by Robert Redford):

Bob Woodward: Well, who is Charles Colson?
Editor: The most powerful man in the United States is President Nixon. You've heard of him? Charles Colson is special counsel to the President. There's a cartoon on his wall. The caption reads,
"When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."
Edited by JLCrab

What about them ?....in my industry I spent nearly 10 years working in my own country before I got the break to work internationally and I was lucky it was only 10 years

here's a solid golf clap to you sir, and implying that people who are digital nomads did not study for 5+ years and then work experience on top of that. Another golf clap to you old codger, again please check your blood pressure and cholesterol because we are all very concerned

post-216306-0-80980000-1408674571_thumb.

• Like 1

This forum is entitles Thai visas, residency and work permits So if all from Post #304 above is true how does one get across to anyone in a position to do anything about work permits and visas that such is true and will have deleterious effects on the long-term Thai economy. If you want to debate Thai microeconomics fine. But that doesn't change anything.

From the Screenplay for All The President's Men (Bob Woodward played by Robert Redford):

Editor: The most powerful man in the United States is President Nixon. You've heard of him? Charles Colson is special counsel to the President. There's a cartoon on his wall. The caption reads,

Just so long as you do have them by the balls and not just a few strands of pubic hair.

Otherwise, they'll just scream and run and it will be that much more difficult to get your hands around another pair.

I don't think there's any problem with people bringing the ability to employ Thais and set up a company. Someone's "one man band" online work could easily grow to that point if it were successful enough. Except that it is difficult for the foreigner to grow that possibility from scratch, in Thailand.

But this is exactly my point. What would the argument be to give someone a visa because they are a self proclaimed digital nomad, but they need a country to allow them to stay so that maybe they will develop into something?

IMHO, if it was a foreigner's intention to contribute to the country they have chosen to live in, they would need to have the skill set and infrastructure before they arrive.

Then they can apply for the non-B visa and a work permit...................

I feel that I am continually repeating myself here.

What would be the argument to both immigration and labour that someone should be issued a visa because they are just starting out in the business and don't meet financial requirements that everyone else needs?

• Like 1

Much truth in your above comments.

But what is the problem for people of talent and aptitude bringing work creating potential into the country by traditional means, ie, setup a business and employ people?

This is the part I don't understand, that someone related to IT be treated differently.

And please don't say it is impossible to do this. Shortly after arriving in Thailand, I was employed as system administrator for a company running Windows, Exchange & SQL servers. My contribution to Thailand through this work was that my work permit was issued that my job description included a training section from which I would help Thais in the server infrastructure scope. Rewarding!

And that was when I was under 50 years old...............

I am all for people using the technology available to make a living, it is the way to go. What I am not for however, is people thinking they are something special, or rather thinking that they should be treated special when they are not willing to bring anything to the table. Those that have a little knowledge of IT will likely understand what that means.

Then they can apply for the non-B visa and a work permit...................wink.png

Well, first, let's be clear I'm not applying this to me, just in the abstract. It's a chicken and egg situation. If someone has that aptitude, they will find a way, but there has to be a legal route for it. Anyway, a "self proclaimed digital nomad" is still a funnel of money into the country. Structures could be created for that to be an intermediate state, under certain circumstances, to funneling talent, knowledge and jobs into the country too. Not that I think that being only a funnel of money into a country...is a bad thing for that country ;)

Then they can apply for the non-B visa and a work permit...................

What would be the argument to both immigration and labour that someone should be issued a visa because they are just starting out in the business and don't meet financial requirements that everyone else needs?

Why should someone be granted a visa because they are old and have a pension? Same rules apply, economy, money, financial gain, read a book or 2 if you have your glasses

Well, first, let's be clear I'm not applying this to me, just in the abstract. It's a chicken and egg situation. If someone has that aptitude, they will find a way, but there has to be a legal route for it. Anyway, a "self proclaimed digital nomad" is still a funnel of money into the country. Structures could be created for that to be an intermediate state, under certain circumstances, to funneling talent, knowledge and jobs into the country too. Not that I think that being only a funnel of money into a country...is a bad thing for that country wink.png

it would take more time and energy than its worth for the government to screen all these self proclaimed digital nomads for the required talent and knowledge.

Just so long as you do have them by the balls and not just a few strands of pubic hair.

Otherwise, they'll just scream and run and it will be that much more difficult to get your hands around another pair.

You don't have them at all.

Guys, you totally miss the point!!

Unlike some other countries in the word like Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US of A which were created by and are based on immigration, Thailand has a population of about 65 million Thais with heritage and tradition they are happy about.

In the 4 countries mentioned above there is no actual population of natives (yes, I know there are some aborigines , maories and red Indians exist, BUT) nothing in the culture and (very short) heritage has anything to do with those of the original occupants of those territories.

Although there is some ethnic diversity amongst the Thais, there are still more similarities between the different Thai ethnic groups than between them and the foreigners coming to Thailand.

Many foreigners mistakenly think that Thailand can’t survive without them. They look down at the Thais and their ways of life and seriously think that their presence here in Thailand will improve the country and the people. Well, you better ask the locals if that’s what they think as well….

There are very few foreigners that come to Thailand and actually become a part of it, living the Thai way. Most expats and visa runners stick to their non Thai friends, live in expat neighborhoods, buy food and groceries at places specialized in taking care of their needs. Even those who marry a Thai woman here in Thailand insist on doing so in the non Thai way (the most common complaints in TV forum are about sinsot and wife’s/GF’s family support – which IS the Thai way, whether the girls are married to a Thai or a non Thai…).

The Thai government and the Thai people understand that it is probably impossible to have a “stand alone” country in modern days and foreign relations and understanding is a “must”. So there are legal ways for foreigners to come and work in Thailand for extended periods, but the way it benefits the Thai society is not only by the money you bring in and spend here as you all claim you do, but by actually creating NEW jobs for Thai people, hence the need to register a company and employ a minimum number of THAI people for every non Thai employee.

Stop looking down at Thai people, Thai culture, and Thai way of thinking. It is probably different than yours, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong!!

If you really want to stay here, live here – adjust yourself to how the Thai people want to accept you, don’t try to change Thailand so it can accommodate you.

• Like 2

here's a solid golf clap to you sir, and implying that people who are digital nomads did not study for 5+ years and then work experience on top of that. Another golf clap to you old codger, again please check your blood pressure and cholesterol because we are all very concerned

Based on your inability to read and understand a few simply constructed sentences in the English language, may I humbly suggest you obtain an Ed visa to learn English comprehension, as based on what you have written, one can only conclude the sum total of your education is 5 or less years...wink.png

As stated previously, I still have a good few years to go before I even qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand, ergo, I am not an old codger, and my BP and cholestrol numbers are with the normal ranges, based on my last medical conducted in Jan this year.

one suspects base on some of the responses on here, there are few posters who have yet to experience their testicles dropping or even growing public hair for that matter...wink.png

• Like 1

Next question would be.. Can a married person do it on a non imm O ??

If the answer is also yes.. The whole can of legal worms around working and earning starts getting very very messy.

If you leave your earnings outside of Thailand for one year you also owe no income taxes here.. How do you define 'which dollar' in your offshore account was the dollar you earn this year, v the dollar you earn last year ??

Well, let's see now; apples and oranges. Being able to work online for your foreign business while here on a tourist visa is not the same as living here on a marriage or retirement extension and working online--even it if is a foreign business.

Perhaps that is their logic; certainly, you may do some work online while on vacation.

all these self proclaimed digital nomads

I need a good laugh today, keep it coming you comedy genius. You really have no clue about what goes on in the internetz do you?

Neither does the Thai Government. That's why they don't want you here can't you take a hint?

Now please depart for more amicable climes.

I need a good laugh today, keep it coming you comedy genius. You really have no clue about what goes on in the internetz do you?

And it seems a lot of people on here whether they understand the net or not have no idea about how regarding government policy or International affairs to go about getting what you want.

Well, first, let's be clear I'm not applying this to me, just in the abstract. It's a chicken and egg situation. If someone has that aptitude, they will find a way, but there has to be a legal route for it. Anyway, a "self proclaimed digital nomad" is still a funnel of money into the country. Structures could be created for that to be an intermediate state, under certain circumstances, to funneling talent, knowledge and jobs into the country too. Not that I think that being only a funnel of money into a country...is a bad thing for that country wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

poor delphis, what did he do to deserve that??

Based on your inability to read and understand a few simply constructed sentences in the English language, may I humbly suggest you obtain an Ed visa to learn English comprehension, as based on what you have written, one can only conclude the sum total of your education is 5 or less years...wink.png

As stated previously, I still have a good few years to go before I even qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand, ergo, I am not an old codger, and my BP and cholestrol numbers are with the normal ranges, based on my last medical conducted in Jan this year.

old codger, go and get your pulse checked, and also your testis whilst you are at it. My English grammar and diction is at how I want it to be thank you kind sir *cough* (check balls) You seem like the typical bitter TV poster who has fallen behind in technological terms and thus can only resort to minor insults that are like water off of a ducks back! Mung tam arai tii pa teth Thai? ya old codger

old codger, go and get your pulse checked, and also your testis whilst you are at it. My English grammar and diction is at how I want it to be thank you kind sir *cough* (check balls) You seem like the typical bitter TV poster who has fallen behind in technological terms and thus can only resort to minor insults that are like water off of a ducks back! Mung tam arai tii pa teth Thai? ya old codger

But he's got the wedge and the visa to stay here that's what sticks up your jacksy.

Well, first, let's be clear I'm not applying this to me, just in the abstract. It's a chicken and egg situation. If someone has that aptitude, they will find a way, but there has to be a legal route for it. Anyway, a "self proclaimed digital nomad" is still a funnel of money into the country. Structures could be created for that to be an intermediate state, under certain circumstances, to funneling talent, knowledge and jobs into the country too. Not that I think that being only a funnel of money into a country...is a bad thing for that country wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

poor delphis, what did he do to deserve that??

Yep studying graphic design for example at college for 2 years and then university for 3 years is pointless anywhere in the world isn't it? If you think that these nomabs who work or play online poker should leave now will benefit the country and you, you are horribly mistaken. And can you please re-post your post because I have trouble understanding it, it is as if I am speaking to an actual dolphin

But he's got the wedge and the visa to stay here that's what sticks up your jacksy.

Implying that people who work online don't have a visa and wedge to stay here

post-216306-0-04976700-1408676981_thumb.

he doesnt violate the terms of his

he doesnt violate the terms of his

neither do nomads who only visit here on tourist visas occasionally and work on their computers whilst here for a few days. care to continue this debate, if so present a more up to date and relevant argument kind sir

neither do nomads who only visit here on tourist visas occasionally and work on their computers whilst here for a few days. care to continue this debate, if so present a more up to date and relevant argument kind sir

which part of "stay here" confused you?

I'm just interested in the reason people here imagine that work permits exist. There have been claims on this thread that such permits aren't rewarded or refused on the basis of taking jobs away from Thais, and that this is simply an abstract or invented construct.

So I am genuinely curious. For those who believe that, please state in your own words, using defined concepts, why you think foreigners are required to have work permits. You might follow a template like this...

"I believe that governments require foreigners to have work permits to work locally because **_______________________________________**

Best of luck with your entries :D

Edited by Delphis
  • Like 1

Why should someone be granted a visa because they are old and have a pension? Same rules apply, economy, money, financial gain, read a book or 2 if you have your glasses

The main difference that I can see is that one is abiding by the laws of the country and the other is trying to create one to suit their life style.

Of course, with the possibility that maybe, not guaranteed, that everything may turn out good one day.