Fast food for the people: MCD in CM

jobin

macdonalds food chain supports terrorism,the contribute large amounts of money to the outlawed IRA in america and the UK"

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to disapprove of McDonald's. Its alleged support of the IRA isn't one of them.
From the NY Times Nov 30, 1989
"For several months rumors have circulated in Britain and the U.S. that McDonald's, the fast-food chain, has given financial support to the Irish Republican Army through Noraid, the I.R.A.'s North American fund-raising group. McDonald's itself couldn't figure where the implausible charge came from, and denied it flatly at every opportunity. But the rumor, and the mystery, persisted.
"Now The Economist of London has tracked it down. One of its sleuths discovered that, some time back, on a financial talk show carried by the Cable News Network, McDonald's was cited for its generosity in contributing to employees' Individual Retirement Accounts - commonly called I.R.A.'s on this side of the Atlantic. But CNN can be viewed overseas now, via satellite, and in Britain I.R.A. means something else entirely.
"Mystery solved. Rumor quashed. But not the cautionary question: Is the world really ready for modern telecommunications?"
  • Like 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

macdonalds food chain supports terrorism,the contribute large amounts of money to the outlawed IRA in america and the UK"

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to disapprove of McDonald's. Its alleged support of the IRA isn't one of them.
"For several months rumors have circulated in Britain and the U.S. that McDonald's, the fast-food chain, has given financial support to the Irish Republican Army through Noraid, the I.R.A.'s North American fund-raising group. McDonald's itself couldn't figure where the implausible charge came from, and denied it flatly at every opportunity. But the rumor, and the mystery, persisted.
"Now The Economist of London has tracked it down. One of its sleuths discovered that, some time back, on a financial talk show carried by the Cable News Network, McDonald's was cited for its generosity in contributing to employees' Individual Retirement Accounts - commonly called I.R.A.'s on this side of the Atlantic. But CNN can be viewed overseas now, via satellite, and in Britain I.R.A. means something else entirely.
"Mystery solved. Rumor quashed. But not the cautionary question: Is the world really ready for modern telecommunications?"

Need a magnifying glass to read the post.

I'm not hawking McDonalds but bought into it at 67 three or four years ago when I read they were going to get more aggressive in Asia with many more outlets and a McD's University in China.....also a 3+ percent dividend. It looks like the outlets have increased a lot. How many new McD's have opened in Chiang Mai in the last 4 years? I don't think their coffee is bad and their breakfast McMuffins and egg dishes are also okay. They've tried to expand their customer base with McCafe and tailoring some menu items to the Asian countries. I've also seen them trying to offer a healthier menu in the states with salads and wraps. Recent focus has been on the scandal in China and Russia closing some stores. There's always controversy about Big Macs and some of their other food as not being healthy but I ignore that because "INDIVIDUALS" make their own choices when they go into a restaurant....not just McDonalds! Overall I think their offering enough choices on the menu to eat a relatively healthy meal without throwing down 1500 calories on a Big Mac Meal! That said, do they have room for healthier foods like most other fast food restaurants? YES!!!

With all that said I think it might be a good time to trim some or all of McDonalds from my portfolio. Profits have declined slightly in the first two quarters and frankly, I don't see the news getting "healthier" in the next few quarters. Also, for the record, I haven't had anything from McDonalds in the last 6 months except a few coffee stops.

I'm not hawking McDonalds but bought into it at 67 three or four years ago when I read they were going to get more aggressive in Asia with many more outlets and a McD's University in China.....also a 3+ percent dividend. It looks like the outlets have increased a lot. How many new McD's have opened in Chiang Mai in the last 4 years? I don't think their coffee is bad and their breakfast McMuffins and egg dishes are also okay. They've tried to expand their customer base with McCafe and tailoring some menu items to the Asian countries. I've also seen them trying to offer a healthier menu in the states with salads and wraps. Recent focus has been on the scandal in China and Russia closing some stores. There's always controversy about Big Macs and some of their other food as not being healthy but I ignore that because "INDIVIDUALS" make their own choices when they go into a restaurant....not just McDonalds! Overall I think their offering enough choices on the menu to eat a relatively healthy meal without throwing down 1500 calories on a Big Mac Meal! That said, do they have room for healthier foods like most other fast food restaurants? YES!!!

With all that said I think it might be a good time to trim some or all of McDonalds from my portfolio. Profits have declined slightly in the first two quarters and frankly, I don't see the news getting "healthier" in the next few quarters. Also, for the record, I haven't had anything from McDonalds in the last 6 months except a few coffee stops.

Yeah right Ronald.

Now that's a breakfast...Healthy? Probably not. Happy food? Yeah baby. Just have it with their orange juice to open the arteries back up a bit.

Not sure anyone is forcing you to eat those sausages. As I mentioned, choices are up to the individual. There's also the egg white McMuffin and oatmeal breakfast available in the states! Another thought is not too many people go into McDonalds to lose weight. The original menu stressed the burger, fries and milkshakes. Per my own weakness when I'm back in the states. I've never gone into a Taco Bell looking for a low-cal meal. Give me those double Chalupas or maybe that Mexican pizza!

Now that's a breakfast...Healthy? Probably not. Happy food? Yeah baby. Just have it with their orange juice to open the arteries back up a bit.

Not sure anyone is forcing you to eat those sausages. As I mentioned, choices are up to the individual. There's also the egg white McMuffin and oatmeal breakfast available in the states! Another thought is not too many people go into McDonalds to lose weight. The original menu stressed the burger, fries and milkshakes. Per my own weakness when I'm back in the states. I've never gone into a Taco Bell looking for a low-cal meal. Give me those double Chalupas or maybe that Mexican pizza!

Who said anyone is forcing me to eat it? I didn't. Please don't twist my words around.

Everything i do is my choice.

McD completely overpriced in Thailand.

KFC much better value for money. (upsized Zinger Burger meal 104bht)

Chesters is good value for money too. (fish burger 29bht)

umm what? Mcdonalds anywhere outside of thailand aside from like korea or malaysia is 10 dollars for a big mac meal.

Mcdonalds is priced quite reasonably in thailand.

• Like 1

Dont you spend 50-75% of a typical days wage there whenever you order a meal?

Must eventually be pretty demoralizing for them, its like walking into mcdonalds in australia and spending $75 on a burger fries and coke

im surprised there's people around that buy into this whole Thai people are poor bullshit.

• Like 1

umm what? Mcdonalds anywhere outside of thailand aside from like korea or malaysia is 10 dollars for a big mac meal.

You think so. Ask the staff what they get paid for a 10 hour shift. Used to be 30 baht an hour unless its gone up and unlike restaurants very little chance of a tip.

Must eventually be pretty demoralizing for them, its like walking into mcdonalds in australia and spending $75 on a burger fries and coke

im surprised there's people around that buy into this whole Thai people are poor bullshit.

I meant the average wage of a teen working there

As Larry the Cable Guy might say:

"Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are!" I R A indeed!

I meant the average wage of a teen working there

How many teens only spend the money they make and not their allowance from their parents. Their mcdonalds wage didn't pay for their iphone.

I guess Michael Moore must have told you that, too. 2 McDoubles for 2 usd (1 each) all over the US. Complete BM Meal...less than 6, unless you're at LAX.

• Like 1

You're obviously new here.

Take a look at how many students are in there drinking 100 Baht coffee.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

I guess Michael Moore must have told you that, too. 2 McDoubles for 2 usd (1 each) all over the US. Complete BM Meal...less than 6, unless you're at LAX.

Or last time i was in upstate NY i paid over 10 dollars for a big mac meal.

That also doesn't change anything i said.....mcdonalds still isn't overpriced here.

Edited by limegreenpatato

That also doesn't change anything i said.....mcdonalds still isn't overpriced here.

http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/mcdonalds-prices/

Big Mac Value Meal=5.69 USD........

So after upsizing a big mac meal comes to what....182? so that's 5.69 in USD at todays conversion rate.

way to search up mcdonalds prices and prove nothing at all.

So after upsizing a big mac meal comes to what....182? so that's 5.69 in USD at todays conversion rate.

It proves they're not over priced here as you suggest.

It's not rocket science.

It proves this statement is 100% false.

It proves they're not over priced here as you suggest.

It's not rocket science.

Considering i never said they were over priced here and i said they were priced reasonably compared to other countries in the world....all it proves is you need to learn how to read.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get a room you two.

Neither one of you has proved a thing. So an upsized big mac cost a dasy and a half of labor in Thailand and only an hours wages in the states I would say it is over priced here.coffee1.gif