Are the visa runs now allowed?

There never has been a restriction on back to back to tourist visas announced.

Only visa exempt in/out visa runs are being restricted. As far as I know there are no changes yet for them.

I concur with your opinion but I know of several who have tried a third time and get 7 days on entry despite their approved visa. I guess it depends on the immigration officer you meet at the point of entry.

• Like 1

Only visa exempt in/out visa runs are being restricted. As far as I know there are no changes yet for them.

I concur with your opinion but I know of several who have tried a third time and get 7 days on entry despite their approved visa. I guess it depends on the immigration officer you meet at the point of entry.

now there's a fly in the ointment

Hey PbL... the several you know only got 7 days on a real tourist visa? not a visa exempt stamp?

tried WHAT a third time? out/in at the border?

It might be more accurate to say that they have recently started discouraging long stays without the proper visa. Back to back tourist visas that go on and on for years might now be discouraged. As well as running to Vientiane (etc.) for a night and coming back with a tourist visa (repeatedly)..... and a whole load of past tourist visas similarly used (back to back).

I got a warning.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

I think it is now three weeks since Thai Visa met with immigration. They asked forum members for questions and I am sure they received many, including my own for the issuance of an i/d card for retirees & Work pass Holders. They have been totally silent on the meeting other than to say "They will get back to us 'soon'. I understand that they may not have been given the answers, that does not preclude them supplying updates, even if it is only "We have called again, but they still say ?????". No mention at all is very a poor attitude on somebody's part - can we please have a succinct update?

Thank you on behalf of all members. .

Now that there is a prime minister installed, I suppose it will be sorted out soon.

Don't wish to argue, but I am one of many now at home after having a tourist visa application refused because of too many back to back tourist visas.

I think it is now three weeks since Thai Visa met with immigration. They asked forum members for questions and I am sure they received many, including my own for the issuance of an i/d card for retirees & Work pass Holders. They have been totally silent on the meeting other than to say "They will get back to us 'soon'. I understand that they may not have been given the answers, that does not preclude them supplying updates, even if it is only "We have called again, but they still say ?????". No mention at all is very a poor attitude on somebody's part - can we please have a succinct update?

i somehow doubt there was any actual interview. more like they waited in the lobby for a few hours, finally got told to email their questions and never received a response.

i somehow doubt there was any actual interview. more like they waited in the lobby for a few hours, finally got told to email their questions and never received a response.

As said in several other posts and topics. The meeting did occur. We are still waiting for answers.

Don't wish to argue, but I am one of many now at home after having a tourist visa application refused because of too many back to back tourist visas.

Where and how many?

The term used as back to back typically would mean you could only get one tourist visa and could not apply for another one anywhere. There is a limit on how many you can get at some of the nearby embassies and consulates.

It might be more accurate to say that they have recently started discouraging long stays without the proper visa. Back to back tourist visas that go on and on for years might now be discouraged. As well as running to Vientiane (etc.) for a night and coming back with a tourist visa (repeatedly)..... and a whole load of past tourist visas similarly used (back to back).

I got a warning.

Might be more accurate? Sorry...might be the understatement of the year!

Where and how many?

The term used as back to back typically would mean you could only get one tourist visa and could not apply for another one anywhere. There is a limit on how many you can get at some of the nearby embassies and consulates.

I've been trying to say this for....almost a year now, and it's always brushed off as 'impossible'. I've been told at consoluates and sources all over SE Asia, "2...maybe sometimes 3 mxiumum, in your passport. Time in between them (even years) doesn't matter...visual impression flipping through passport, not the dates ont the TRs"

As always, have no reaons to make that up: It's what many of them say - Vientienne, Swanakhet, Cambodia, etc.

Where and how many?

I've been trying to say this for....almost a year now, and it's always brushed off as 'impossible'. I've been told at consoluates and sources all over SE Asia, "2...maybe sometimes 3 mxiumum, in your passport. Time in between them (even years) doesn't matter...visual impression flipping through passport, not the dates ont the TRs"

As always, have no reaons to make that up: It's what many of them say - Vientienne, Swanakhet, Cambodia, etc.

Not correct. Can have many Visas. A passport can last 10 years, and you can get a Visa to Thailand each year. (Albeit probably not 3 in a row from the same consulate)

Time inbetween does matter...in the fact that an individual may return to Thailand annually.....for example, a visa a year for ten years. (Returning to his home country to work after his visa expires)

Obviously a different case for one who never returns to his home country for ten years, and has lived in Thailand on Tourist Visas/border runs and such.

Edited by slipperylobster

In principle it is still possible to stay in Thailand using Tourist Visa, but you have to move around and apply at different Embassies and Consulates.

There is no fix guidelines, but some Embassies and Consulates are more friendlier than others.

It is also good if you get Tourist Visas, from time to time, from your home country.

There is no fix rule about how many back to back TV are allowed.

Get a new passport.

Never heard of data base on computer?

The first impression is what counts more. Officers don't bothers with researching one person history if not compelled to it. Same for consulates, etc.

Get a new passport.

Sure he has but is immigration going to interrogate the database every time they see a new passport?

Get a new passport.

Sure he has but is immigration going to interrogate the database every time they see a new passport?

You mean type in a number and press Enter?

I just wish that posters on this site would get the labeling straight! There is the Visa Exempt, Tourist Visa, Non Im 'O', O/A, etc... The former is NOT a visa! So please could we not use the right label! Otherwise it just makes everything confusing more than it is already is.

So come on...

• Like 1

coming back to the topic, you can always do a border run if you have a valid visa.

Restriction only apply for visa exempt stamps, like Ban Laem allow one visa exempt entry after having one airport arrival .

They also allow one visa exempt entry if you just come off a visa.

Visa application, for example Vientiane gives at least 2 Double Entry Touris Visa, this is good already for a Year.

Phnom Penh or Kuala Lumpur will give at least a Single Entry Tourist, which is good, each time, for another three month.

With the new rule, after 29th August, that also visa exempt stamp can get 30day extensions you can still enjoy your time in Thailand.