Mukdahan Mobile Internet

eng911

I'm back in Thailand for the full month of October. I want to setup the mother in-law with a smart phone. We recently used an app so my wife and her mom could see each other. I know this is nothing new but it brought so much happiness to our family. My mother in-law was blown away.

She lives in rural Mukdahan near Don Than. Is Dtac still the best choice for mobile internet on a smart phone for that area? Any suggestions or advice appreciated. I read dtac is the way to go in other posts but they were dated.

Can't wait to get back to Thailand. This time for a full month before heading back to Canada to face winter. I'm bringing my fishing rod this time. I've really been doing a lot of fishing here in Canada this summer. I caught this nice bass yesterday.

post-15633-14087984603363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was going to get the 599 happy tourist Sim but when I mentioned I was here for as month the gal suggested the next one up at 799bht for 12gb of usage at 3G speed.

I brought an old Samsung Galaxy S I had at home. I through in the Sim and enabled tethering. This allows me to use my work iPhone which is carrier locked. I turned off all cellular data and connect to the Samsung via WiFi.

Its not a permanent solution but for one month it will work. I already had a VPN account at http://privateinternetaccess.com so I use it to connect to a USA server then onto other sites like Netflix and Hulu. One can never have too many movie options in a village 30 minutes outside Mukdahan.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/happy-unlimited-internet-package.html

I was going to get the 599 happy tourist Sim but when I mentioned I was here for as month the gal suggested the next one up at 799bht for 12gb of usage at 3G speed.

I brought an old Samsung Galaxy S I had at home. I through in the Sim and enabled tethering. This allows me to use my work iPhone which is carrier locked. I turned off all cellular data and connect to the Samsung via WiFi.

Its not a permanent solution but for one month it will work. I already had a VPN account at http://privateinternetaccess.com so I use it to connect to a USA server then onto other sites like Netflix and Hulu. One can never have too many movie options in a village 30 minutes outside Mukdahan.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/happy-unlimited-internet-package.html

True enough about the options and thanks for the info.

So now I have internet via tethering on my tablet, my laptop and two phones for around $32 CAD for the month and I just watched a movie and two episodes of Walking Dead.

I'd be interested to hear how the 12G lasts for streaming through the month. I tried a True package in conjunction with 365 Sport for football, but the fast data allowance went more quickly than I was expecting and (like other 3G packages) you are then pushed on to a default slow internet (I think at 384K) which isn't enough for streaming. I also subscribe to Netflix (in the UK), but didn't even get around to trying that as my data had gone. I think my True package was only about 3G. The 12G package seems more promising but DTAC 3G does not reach my village in central Isaan (only Edge). I'm just an occasional visitor like yourself, and am only looking for about a month fast 3G at a time.

Edited by citizen33

I should also note that my phone was constantly switching from H to 3G to Edge. I guess the signal was coming and going. It was also causing my phone battery to die very fast if not plugged in. I went into the menu and changed network type from Auto to HSPA. So it stopped bouncing around signals and towers so much and even with one bar on H I'm still online at usuable speed.