New In Pattaya

familyman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please avoid any place that double charges foreigners:bah: ( it's not necessary and it's not nice )

you can find a list here.

http://www.fairprice-thailand.org/

There's loads of places to eat ..you could quite easily try a different place every day of the year !!!!

places to shop Big C,Tesco-Lotus, Carefour,Tops,Foodland,Friendship,the market on Soi Boukow or Thepprasit Road

Go to the seedy places...just to get it out of your system,they get quite boring after a bit.

Have a look along Second and Third roads for some "Thai" style entertainment.

Pattaya can be good for families. Try not to live in downtown Pattaya, rather look for a place East of Sukhumvit. Some good international schools around, but avoid Regents as it is way overpriced for what it is. St Andrews is good, probably the best.

Have a look at Mabprachan area, a couple of nice lakeside restaurants, and Horseshoe point is quite good to take the kid.

Get a Thai driving license and show that when ever you go to the places that want to charge farang prices.

Edited by mjcl

Just out of curiosity. You are moving from Spain to Pattaya, why ? You obviously know little, if anything about the place. Have you ever been here before ?

Just wondering why a man would move his family halfway around the world to a place he knows nothing about.

The majority of places in Pattaya are "non-seedy", unless you confine yourselves to Walking Street, Beach Road and various beer bars. Even in those areas, there are plenty of "nice" establishments. Get used to it.

How ever, if you are looking for places where you won't see other foreigners, or you object to seeing foreigners with Thai girls (friends/dates/wives/what ever), then you are in the wrong place.

Just out of curiosity. You are moving from Spain to Pattaya, why ?

Kerry, quick question. How did you know he was moving from Spain? I looked but I can't seem to find it. Cheers.

:D

I'm psychic (or is that psychotic ?) :o

Actually, he mentioned it in his other post in another thread. :D

I am moving to Pattaya next month with my wife and baby.

Can anyone recommend (non seedy!) places to go, where to eat / shop, etc.

Thanks

Good luck! :D

Click here too find a restaurant. As for shopping malls there are plenty. There is a well known restaurant in Soi 6 that gets the 'Thumbs Up'. In addition there quite a few shops in this particular street. Most seem engaging enough to display their wares outside the storefronts which can be quite useful for the busy shopper.

I believe there is also a library in the same street that seems to attract a lot of expats. :o

Thanks

Click here too find a restaurant. As for shopping malls there are plenty. There is a well known restaurant in Soi 6 that gets the 'Thumbs Up'. In addition there quite a few shops in this particular street. Most seem engaging enough to display their wares outside the storefronts which can be quite useful for the busy shopper.

I believe there is also a library in the same street that seems to attract a lot of expats. :o

:D:D

Thanks

Correction Chopper,

There is allegedly a library in the same street which nobody has been able to find, but serves as a great excuse for popping into town on a quiet afternoon to pick up a bit of light reading matter :D

Thanks

Correction Chopper,

There is allegedly a library in the same street which nobody has been able to find, but serves as a great excuse for popping into town on a quiet afternoon to pick up a bit of light reading riding matter :D

Right you are Mobi. Let me guess-between 35-45 Kg's perchance. :D

Just out of curiosity. You are moving from Spain to Pattaya, why ? You obviously know little, if anything about the place. Have you ever been here before ?

Just wondering why a man would move his family halfway around the world to a place he knows nothing about.

The majority of places in Pattaya are "non-seedy", unless you confine yourselves to Walking Street, Beach Road and various beer bars. Even in those areas, there are plenty of "nice" establishments. Get used to it.

How ever, if you are looking for places where you won't see other foreigners, or you object to seeing foreigners with Thai girls (friends/dates/wives/what ever), then you are in the wrong place.

Are you always this judgemental?

I am not the sole decision maker at home. Did you consider that my wife might want to move too? Is it your business why we are leaving Spain? Do we need your permission? Do we have to limit ourselves to one country for the rest of our lives?

I was simply asking for suggestions for some places to go from people who live there already. We had already been warned by my new employer that Pattaya had a reputation for being "seedy" in certain areas. Why do you suggest that by "seedy" I meant foreigners, or foreigners with Thai girls? I think you have your own issues there.

I am not the sole decision maker at home. Did you consider that my wife might want to move too? Is it your business why we are leaving Spain? Do we need your permission? Do we have to limit ourselves to one country for the rest of our lives?

I was simply asking for suggestions for some places to go from people who live there already. We had already been warned by my new employer that Pattaya had a reputation for being "seedy" in certain areas. Why do you suggest that by "seedy" I meant foreigners, or foreigners with Thai girls? I think you have your own issues there.

familyman, I always find the conciliatory approach better than the adversarial approach when I am asking for information. I have pondered long and hard as to why this should be and arrived at the conclusion that it must down to manners. It really is that simple.

There is a veritable wealth of information contained herein. Try the search function and see if that helps. Read a few threads and get a feel for the culture of this forum and then you will see that no ill will is meant and surprisingly your questions will generally be answered. :o

Well said.....unfortunately any queries about Pattaya and "seediness" will result in some rather cagey responses. There are the "Pattaya Bashers" and the "Pattaya Defence League" both will have their say in this posting as they always do....

Basically Pattaya is a large rampant holiday town which is over developed and under -infrastructured.

It has lots of useful shops and facilities, plenty to do, lots of scenery within a days drive, the cost of living is cheap the climate great, hardly ever over mid-thirties, and hardly ever below the high twenties (Celsius). It also has a huge sex industry catering to foreigners.

Many people live in small walled developments with swimming pools and security guards, but crime is no worse than any similar town in Europe or US. If Pattaya is not to your taste there are plenty alternatives along the coast. I suppose that would depend on the nature of you and your families work/education needs

Avoid SOI 7 unless you need to unload your load

visit EASYRIDER which is just past SOI 2 :o

Hey, another Easyrider fan! Nice place with a great band!

I might add...avoid also Soi 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6, 8 and walking street altogether (with the exception of one of the forum sponsor's premises of course...) if you're here with family...

Well said.....unfortunately any queries about Pattaya and "seediness" will result in some rather cagey responses. There are the "Pattaya Bashers" and the "Pattaya Defence League" both will have their say in this posting as they always do....

Basically Pattaya is a large rampant holiday town which is over developed and under -infrastructured.

It has lots of useful shops and facilities, plenty to do, lots of scenery within a days drive, the cost of living is cheap the climate great, hardly ever over mid-thirties, and hardly ever below the high twenties (Celsius). It also has a huge sex industry catering to foreigners.

Many people live in small walled developments with swimming pools and security guards, but crime is no worse than any similar town in Europe or US. If Pattaya is not to your taste there are plenty alternatives along the coast. I suppose that would depend on the nature of you and your families work/education needs

Thanks Wilko. :o

My needs include football - 5/11 a-side, indoor/outdoor - not bothered as long as I can play! Is it easy to find a team?

Thanks Wilko. :o

My needs include football - 5/11 a-side, indoor/outdoor - not bothered as long as I can play! Is it easy to find a team?

Crickey!

I am to sport what walnuts did for space exploration.....

However there should be plenty of opportunities to play, either with ex-pats or local Thai people. Sounds a bit too hot and strenuous for me though.

all the schools have playing fields....as for indoor sports halls, perhaps some of the other members might know. Try a seperate posting.

Often.

The tone of your original post made the hair on the back of my neck stand-up right away (being a member of the Pattaya Defense League and all :D ).

Comments like "Can anyone recommend (non seedy!) places to go, where to eat / shop, etc" come from people that either know nothing about the place (other than hearsay and rumours), or from trolls trying to get a reaction from other board members.

Had you left out the "non seedy" remark, you would have found most of the responses here a lot friendlier and more helpful (do not look for the "library" on soi 6, especially when the wife and baby are with you !!!)

As for your reasons for moving here. Well, I was trying to be helpful. If you are moving halfway around the world, especially with a new baby, wouldn't it be logical to know something about the place you are moving to ?

If it's work related, well, you don't always get a choice do you ? Still, the first thing I do is try and find out some pertinent information about where I'm being sent ("non-seedy" places to go wouldn't be high on my list of initial questions I'd be asking strangers).

We get a lot of Pattaya Bashers here. People that for what ever reason like to crap on any and everything to do with the city. Foreigners being seen with local Thai girls figures prominently in their bashes.

For example, in a recent thread a basher told a member that is moving here, that he shouldn't unless "You want your kids to see 20,000 hookers going with 20,000 bald, beer-bellied frarang everyday"

I was trying to find out if you are one of those "bashers" or were serious about moving here, or if you were one of the many trolls that pop up every so often.

I don't think I personally have any "issues" except with people that needlessly bash this place. I've lived around the world and have settled on Pattaya as my preferred home. There are "seedy" places here, but as I mentioned in my original response to you, "The majority of places in Pattaya are non-seedy".

I guess it also depends on what you consider to be "seedy". A lot of the "bashers" consider the sight of a foreigner with a Thai girl to be "seedy", regardless of their location. That's why I asked if you were looking for places where you wouldn't see such sights.

There are many, many members here with families. I think most would agree that you can have a very nice life here, and do pretty much what ever you want, without being exposed to the "seedier" side of life.

Quite frankly, I've seen a lot more "sleaze" openly displayed in Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Hamburg than I do here.

I would suggest keeping an open mind, and not assuming that the place is mostly seedy until you've seen it for yourself. I think you'll find it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be.

I would also suggest that you ask more questions of the members here. We have a large community of ex-pats here, and have people that can answer your questions on almost any subject (just browse some of the other topics and you'll see).

We also have friendly get togethers once in awhile, where you can put a face to the knickname, maybe do a little networking, and enlarge your social circle beyond your workmates.

Talk to you later ! :o