Hundreds of tourists flock to see colourful jelly fish

Lite Beer

RAYONG
Hundreds of tourists flock to see colourful jelly fish

RAYONG: -- Hundreds of tourists have flocked to Rayong province this weekend to witness countless number of moon jellyfish at Khao Laem Ya-Mu Koh Samet National park,

This caused several kilometers of traffic congestion. The colorful moon jellyfish had been bobbing on the surface of the sea. Sumet Saithong, chief of the national park said said some tourists showed up the entrance of the park before 6am. The best time for seeing the jellyfish is in the early morning and after sunset.

Those who arrived during the day when the sun was strong saw fewer of them.

In addition to the colorful jellyfish, Sumeth recommends visitors to the national park also seek out views of the beautiful seascape at Rayong and Ko Samet from other lookouts in the park area.

Source: http://www.nationmul...--30241650.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-24

Reminds me of being in Halong Bay, 2 hours from Hanoi, Vietnam. They are HUGE there. Kept me out of the water!

The article mentioned "hundreds of tourists flock to Rayong" to watch the little creatures. That accounts for the quiet and lack of activity in Pattaya. smile.png.

Thanks for the photos.

yes I got caught in the traffic jam, no one thought to organise traffic on the main road outside the national park although some friends did well out of hiring scooters for the Thai's who had the sense to park their cars outside the national park and go by scooter.

Million of jellyfishes at Samet Island bring joys to curious visitors, but concern to industries

8-26-2014-10-33-07-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Million of jellyfishes at Samet Island bring joys to curious visitors, but concern to industriesMillion of jellyfishes at Samet Island bring joys to curious visitors, but concern to industries

Samet Island is now attracting more visitors, both locals and foreigners, to visit and watch unusual natural phenomenon when up to a million of colourful jellyfishes surfacing around the Siwika pier within Khao Laem Ya-Koh Samet National Park.

But as visitors are excited watching the huge swarms of colourful jellyfishes swimming around, industries near the place are not happy as they fear the little creatures but huge in volume could be sucked into the pipelines of their cooling systems which could mean damages to their machines.

Exciting visitors and tourists to Rayong watch the huge swarms of jellyfishes from the pier near Samet Island, but industries at industrial estate also keep watching with concern.

The jelly fish swarms have been seen at the Siwika Pier within Khao Laem Ya-Koh Samet National Park.

A large number of jellyfish has also been spotted along Mae Ramphueng beach in Mueang district of Rayong.

Although the jellyfish did not expose themselves above the water surface, their sheer numbers turned the local seascape into photo opportunities for visitors.

Meanwhile, industrial plants with cooling systems were busy laying down multiple layers of nets in front of the cooling systems’ outlet pipes to prevent jellyfish from entering the pipes, an occurrence that has been known to cause damage.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/million-jellyfishes-samet-island-bring-joys-curious-visitors-concern-industries/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-26

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I presume that brown is a color, different tones of brown.

They look like common jellyfish to me.

I thought the same, but then I opened the link....

No pictures there either smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Classic reporting

The nation are experts at stealing, (Theft) then watermarking images claiming they are the owner when contacted and don't even take them down and know that the Thai legal system is not a threat, looks I am surprised they have not stolen like common thieves and claimed copyright ownership some for this story as well.

Jellyfish pics - from the east coast Gulf of Thailand

these ones off Trat (Oct 2012)

tumblr_mvfdqdKALJ1r8w5s5o3_r1_500.jpg

Chanthaburi coast - in shallow water at Chao Lao Beach - an edible 'sand white', this is to be the most common type I see

tumblr_lwn44rLh451r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

Chanthaburi coast - a little further north at Khung Wiman beach, one with a little more colour - racing stripes!

tumblr_mvkt5ulHwY1r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

they're back . . . today's jellyfish news

yesterday swimming with a group of friends at Chao Lao beach on the Chanthaburi coast; but not for long, people making a quick exit as we encountered dozens of jellyfish in water about waist-deep, they were just above sand level, squishy around the feet!

I came out with just itches but some children and one of the mums has raised pink welts on their ankles/calves.

Perhaps I can thank my hairy legs for that.

Nothing serious and they had faded within 30 min to just 'itchy'

The water wasn't very clear and I couldn't see what type of jellyfish they were; back today and many of these ones - appear to be two differing varieties - washed up along the high water line. Could see smaller ones in the water - like the ones in the earlier photos about 12-15cm across, these other ones a different variety far bigger, but i I still unsure what had done the stinging.

not suggesting jellyfish eat frozen Liptons Lemon Iced Tea! but a size indication, that packet is 20cm/8 inches, so this one is almost double that. When i was there today looking at the water a lady walked down from a resort and told me not to swim, jellyfish, at least they are warning people.

On the way home I crossed the bridge at Paknam Khaem Nu and hundreds of whitish jellyfish visible in the area river meets sea, bt couldn't judge size from so high up.

tumblr_ncao9jsnws1r8w5s5o2_500.jpgtumblr_ncao9jsnws1r8w5s5o3_500.jpg

I'll change my user name to Jellyfishsteen!

in the news again today

'Millions of' jellyfish float to surface of sea of Sattahib Naval Base
September 23, 2014 5:50 pm
The sea next to the Sattahib Naval Base and the Jook Samed Pier in Chon Buri's Satahib district is filled with floating jellyfishes.
30243939-01_big.jpg