Blocked pavements in Chiang Mai

intel4004

This really pi@@es me off after 3 months of living here what is acceptable practice in Chiang Mai would totally be unacceptable elsewhere. I can't help it, it just annoys me.

All I can say is I hope one day they reclaim the footpaths as bad as they are. It wouldn't even require that much effort. The threat of a hefty fine would change these bad practices. I don't think this is a case of me seeing through western eyes since pedestrians need footpaths period.

post-207042-14088745957224_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the same thought as I weave my way around the m/bikes parked/abandoned across the paths. There seems to be a great lack of motorbike parking areas.

A few clamps would do the trick - and start a riot!

It's annoying that bikes must be parked millimetres from the place they're headed to. Heaven forbid that any walking should be done! It's not unusual to have to squeeze past a bike to get in the door.

• Like 1

I lived in Cyprus for a few years is was quite normal to drive up on to the pavement to get as close to the door of the premises that they were going to.

post-51-0-90199100-1408875547_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-90794200-1408875931_thumb.jpg

And overall awful drivers,particularly on the mountain roads.

Edited by Thailand
  • Like 1

There's a certain TV/Satellite dish shop on Hang Dong Road just south of Makro. Last year they had a promotional barrier of 'sat-dish' to block 90% of the footpath. I had to rotate or push at least one out of the way to pass between a parked car or avoid stepping down off the kerb.

Next, a concrete block garden wall was constructed across the other side with poinsettias planted ... completely blocking normal pedestrian traffic. I've got big feet.

Needless to say, that business owner is an a-hole, and loses out to competitors shop 50m further south.

• Like 1

I rather see the "problem" with crowded pavements, as a problem with people that do not know how to move, like the couple that only see each other (and don't give <deleted> about others...) or people that take up what little is left and do not move, just a move - but no, they are completely ignorant.....

But then again...this is Asia if i wanted Munich, London or even L.A i would go there.....i wouldnt try 2 import it here, but what do i know really?

• Like 2

You must be new here. Good job you don't live in Bangkok. Been like this for decades.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I stopped noticing blocked pavements 20 years ago. tongue.png

Roger that...

And I stopped walking to Makro .... 55

... not until the poinsettia path-block was abandoned though.

I don't think this is a case of me seeing through western eyes since pedestrians need footpaths period.

I believe I have found you flaw in your logic... You are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy...

I was wondering how long it would take for the Dorothy response. Give up and go back to sleep for the rest of this thread my dear !

Let me pose some questions.

No matter what mode of transport you use, everyone has to walk at some time. Would your prefer to walk the streets or footpaths of Chiang Mai if the footpaths were cleared of any and all obstructions?

Having pedestrians walk into a carriageway is never going to be a good idea, especially at night is it?

But then again what's the odd life considering the road death toll here.

I get the impression that those who say they don't care mostly walk from the front door of their apartment to motorbike, motorbike to shop door and back again. So your input is not really valid in this discussion.

When the town planners were laying out CM do you think they built footpaths for motorbikes to park or were they exclusively for pedestrians. You may need to think about this one

I don't think this is a case of me seeing through western eyes since pedestrians need footpaths period.

I believe I have found you flaw in your logic... You are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy...

When the town planners were laying out CM do you think they built footpaths for motorbikes to park or were they exclusively for pedestrians. You may need to think about this one

They didn't build them at all. There are none.

It was designed for horse and cart.

Good luck on your noble quest to change Chiang Mai over to a pedestrian friendly town. Hope you have infinite patience.

I think the town planners were thinking rickshaws and the occasional ox cart mixed in with pedestrians.

Since the rickshaw did not appear until the late 1800's (1887 in some sources)I don't think the city planners were too bothered by them. I think they were more worried about defence than the movement of locals, tourists and resident farangs. (the last two terms not yet having been invented when Chiang Mai was established).

Lets be positive and look ahead, not backwards!

I was wondering how long it would take for the Dorothy response. Give up and go back to sleep for the rest of this thread my dear !

No matter what mode of transport you use, everyone has to walk at some time. Would your prefer to walk the streets or footpaths of Chiang Mai if the footpaths were cleared of any and all obstructions?

Having pedestrians walk into a carriageway is never going to be a good idea, especially at night is it?

I get the impression that those who say they don't care mostly walk from the front door of their apartment to motorbike, motorbike to shop door and back again. So your input is not really valid in this discussion.

Denying the truth is not a valid argument... Blocking the pavement with parked vehicles is nothing unique to Thailand... Travel to any 2nd or 3rd world country and you will find it is the norm as opposed to the exception... So perhaps you should travel more before making blinkered comments...

You last comment shows just how short-sighted you really are... Do you really think the "town planners" gave much thought to motorbikes in the year 1262? coffee1.gif

Edited by Loptr

Pavements are being blocked more now because the police are now enforcing the traffic laws.

Last week teams of painters were around the city painting the red and white no parking and the odd/ even day no parking.

Parking tickets galore this last month, our lass got one for parking infront e of our business first time in four year, and a car yesterday full of swinging buddhas and photos of monks didn't help them!

The lack of planning for the growth of the city, cars,bikes,coaches etc will put more burden on the general public who will end up paying fines for beaureaucratic incompetency.

• Like 2

Denying the truth is not a valid argument... Blocking the pavement with parked vehicles is nothing unique to Thailand... Travel to any 2nd or 3rd world country and you will find it is the norm as opposed to the exception... So perhaps you should travel more before making blinkered comments...

You last comment shows just how short-sighted you really are... Do you really think the "town planners" gave much thought to motorbikes in the year 1262? coffee1.gif

Sorry, I've got better things to do than argue with you on whether certain behaviour can be changed or not. Nite nite, and I'm begging you...go to bed NOW!

I think the town planners were thinking rickshaws and the occasional ox cart mixed in with pedestrians.

Since the rickshaw did not appear until the late 1800's (1887 in some sources)I don't think the city planners were too bothered by them. I think they were more worried about defence than the movement of locals, tourists and resident farangs. (the last two terms not yet having been invented when Chiang Mai was established).

I was, sharing the road with other traffic is not good for ones health.

Those city planners must be 127 by now, thats where they are going wrong!!

Pavements are being blocked more now because the police are now enforcing the traffic laws.

Last week teams of painters were around the city painting the red and white no parking and the odd/ even day no parking.

Parking tickets galore this last month, our lass got one for parking infront e of our business first time in four year, and a car yesterday full of swinging buddhas and photos of monks didn't help them!

The lack of planning for the growth of the city, cars,bikes,coaches etc will put more burden on the general public who will end up paying fines for beaureaucratic incompetency.

I take your point. I don't pretend things will change because of a moaning farang like me but they will change. Thailand is a developing economy but one day it will get there and things will be very different.

The Traffic Police have issued over 3,500 traffic violations since the crackdown on driving at four major intersections began on July 17, 2014. Police began targeting five major infractions including stopping over the line at the red light, driving the wrong way, blocking intersections, driving over the double yellow line, and using fake license plates and in the last two weeks of July ticketed 1,656 drivers.

From August 1 – 15 they ticketed a further 1,782 people for a total of 3,480 people. A majority of the tickets, 2,581, were for those stopping over the line at the red light.

Police have also been targeting illegally parked cars by locking the wheels or clamping. The measures against illegal parking began in earnest on August 18 and on the first day only police clamped the wheels of 42 vehicles on Nimmanhaemin, Huay Kaew, Suthep, Suan Dok and around the moat.

Link

[chiangmaimail]August 24, 2014[/chiangmaimail]

• Like 1

Blame Soloman or Mengrai.

Their designs are very similar.

The Celtic knot appears on the walls around the 3 Kings monument as well...But that's another story.

post-87375-0-57374200-1408896593_thumb.j

"don't think this is a case of me seeing through western eyes since pedestrians need footpaths period."

What is even more annoying is people writing out the word 'period' and then following it with a period (full stop). Isn't it quicker to just type '.' Question mark?

Back on topic, if this really pisses you off, you're either going to have to get used to it and accept it and everything else that is different to back home, or go mad. You decide.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

You must be new here. Good job you don't live in Bangkok. Been like this for decades.

I was wondering how long he will last here.

He is attacking an accepted Thai practice that even some of the Farongs are joining in. If you want clear foot paths you are in the wrong country.

I wonder what the next item on his list to westernize is.

• Like 1

Blame Soloman or Mengrai.

Their designs are very similar.

The Celtic knot appears on the walls around the 3 Kings monument as well...But that's another story.

attachicon.gifChristian-van-adrichom_JERVSALEM-et-suburbia-eius_detail-solomon-temple_1-1497x1000.jpg

Sounds like it would be an interesting story. Going to have a closer look next time I am walking by there.

• Like 1

I was wondering how long he will last here.

He is attacking an accepted Thai practice that even some of the Farongs are joining in. If you want clear foot paths you are in the wrong country.

I wonder what the next item on his list to westernize is.

Proper drainage? Underground power lines? Driver education programs? Trade schools? Parks? First aid training? Proper queueing procedures? Holding the door open out of courtesy?

Are these "western" or are they the product of a society that uses common sense....

I am here, I am in the right country.