Was thinking about Racism here, but is it that bad really?

bkkheat

Hi,

I was thinking about being called different things here in Thailand, double pricing etc.

We all get fed up with it every now and then and had a conversation about how racist Thai's are at the pub.

But after talking and seeing a lot of racism that has been going on towards Asians in general on youtube. I don't think us foreigners are getting it that bad.

The country people in any country are a little bit racists, probably because they are a bit more simple minded.

But I don't really see Thai's screaming at farangs on public transports, go farang bashing, making vidoes of themselves on how they hate farangs or gangs that hate all foreigners.

Perhaps it is a different type of racism, a quiet and not in your face racism.

I personally think us farangs are far more racists than Thai's could ever be, whats your thoughts?

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate, unfortunately racism is rife in every country, there are always "red necks" no matter what country you go to but to be honest what throws me here is when I am out with my thai wife and you get some thais(usually older women/men)that simply give you dagger looks purely because you are with a thai or should I say because you are married to a thai, its as if they think they are a cut above "farangs" and you have no right to be here. Strangely I have never noticed this sort of thing elsewhere, its usually more to do with where you are from than who you are with.

• Like 1

mate, unfortunately racism is rife in every country, there are always "red necks" no matter what country you go to but to be honest what throws me here is when I am out with my thai wife and you get some thais(usually older women/men)that simply give you dagger looks purely because you are with a thai or should I say because you are married to a thai, its as if they think they are a cut above "farangs" and you have no right to be here. Strangely I have never noticed this sort of thing elsewhere, its usually more to do with where you are from than who you are with.

There are groups of Thais as well as westerners that think every Thai woman with a farang is/was a prostitute. Somethings are not what they seem.

• Like 1

"Perhaps it is a different type of racism, a quiet and not in your face racism."

​It helps if one does not confuse "in your face racism" with ignorance and lack of experience in dealing with other races. I still meet Thai people regularly who have had almost no direct or first had experience with westerners. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the UK who have had much direct contact with Thai people. Ignorance doesn't necessarily indicate bad character.

• Like 2

Thais tend to identify strongly with their own class, region and dialect, with each group usually having definite ideas about what they consider appropriate behavior. That includes manners, language and dress. These standards are not just ignored by foreigners but often flaunted to the irritation of the locals.

If you're getting looks, it often means either you or your partner are not adhering to the rules of appropriate behavior in the environment you are in. By all means offend the locals if you wish, just dont complain it they give you disapproving looks. Everything you do has consequences.

Wooowww, it must be hard to be oneself then, based on your comment.

What often passes for racism is often really 'culturalism'. People want to be around others with the same cultural values. Where it becomes racism is when someone refuses to allow the possibility that you, of a different race (appearance) couldn't possibly identify significantly (or sufficiently) with their culture.

Many Thais express approval and appreciation when they see you embrace their ways, learn the language, etc. They can overcome racist tendencies sometimes.

This extends to all major races, imho.

I am equally concerned with the increasingly hostile attitude towards Americans especially as evidenced on the editorial page of the Bangkok Post. I frequently encounter it in pubs especially if i wear a shirt with the American flag on it. A lot of it seems to come from Brits. I will heartily agree however that the US criticism of the military takeover was and remains ill-advised. The USA has done some good things but very little under the current administration.

• Like 2

Nothing like Ferguson, MO.

Yes, indeed - the racism of the black population of Ferguson towards whites, even when the evidence clearly shows that Michael Brown attacked the white police officer, shattered an orbital socket in his skull, and was charging heads-down to try and tackle the white police officer (after already having tried to grab the white police officer's gun and causing it to go off, is quite shocking.

The fact that the black population of Ferguson - plus outside agitators who've shown up for the fun - keep insisting that the white police officer be drawn and quartered, that he doesn't even deserve an investigation or a trial, that they prefer someone who was clearly a drunken, violent thug over a police officer defending himself because the thug was black and the police officer was white, shows that racism is alive and well in Ferguson.

The fact of the matter is that the black population of Ferguson are extremely racist and biased against whites, and seem likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.

Just not the particular flavor of racism you and others with no knowledge of the actual situation, nor regard for the facts, pretend to decry.

well said.

It is here but in a soft, more accepting, non-aggressive form. I also see that people may have general ideas of races that they may not like, but on an individual basis are accepting. That doesn't mean that you own't bump into an occasional person who simply does not like any foreigners - - though I think a very small % and les so by far than my home country.

is it some kind of rascism if whole bunch of women are tought to catch multiple dumb farang and making them send money every month or make them complete pennyless, or do they just call it business or payback for the lack of respect they get from their own thai boyfriends or husbands?

Nothing like Ferguson, MO.

Yes, indeed - the racism of the black population of Ferguson towards whites, even when the evidence clearly shows that Michael Brown attacked the white police officer, shattered an orbital socket in his skull, and was charging heads-down to try and tackle the white police officer (after already having tried to grab the white police officer's gun and causing it to go off, is quite shocking.

The fact that the black population of Ferguson - plus outside agitators who've shown up for the fun - keep insisting that the white police officer be drawn and quartered, that he doesn't even deserve an investigation or a trial, that they prefer someone who was clearly a drunken, violent thug over a police officer defending himself because the thug was black and the police officer was white, shows that racism is alive and well in Ferguson.

The fact of the matter is that the black population of Ferguson are extremely racist and biased against whites, and seem likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.

Just not the particular flavor of racism you and others with no knowledge of the actual situation, nor regard for the facts, pretend to decry.

well said.

I met my first Thai wife in 1987 in the UK and know many Thais there but have not experienced racism there or in Thailand in the intervening period. That's either directly or indirectly by any of the many Thai friends I have in both countries. Maybe it has something to do with the places you go, the people you mix with or the way you present yourself? Wandering around adorned with your national flag certainly isn't the way to make friends and influence people. Most Brits find it is making the statement that is something to the effect, 'I'm an American and we're the greatest'. Think again! Yes I do have some friends from the US here but they do not blatantly boast about their heritage.

Edited by Anon999

It is here but in a soft, more accepting, non-aggressive form. I also see that people may have general ideas of races that they may not like, but on an individual basis are accepting. That doesn't mean that you own't bump into an occasional person who simply does not like any foreigners - - though I think a very small % and les so by far than my home country.

Sometimes it might be other factors, and not be how you look, that influences how Thai(s) react to you.

As an example, I was in a bar in Pattaya recently and ordered a Singha. I glanced at the tab (in my check bin) as I had not gone to that bar before, and saw that I was charged 180 Baht, which is more that twice what I pay in most bars. I'm not a confrontational person, so I just made a mental decision that I would move on when I finished my beer.

One girl (a worker) started talking to me and asked where I was from, and I said "America", at which she said: "No, you're from India".

I asked her why she thought so, and she said that she knows someone who looks like me (I'm multiracial, and in the U.S. also, some people are confused) and the person is from India. She kept pursuing the subject, so, although I really didn't care what she thought, I eventually showed her a laminated copy, of the first two pages of my (US) passport, that I carry. She called a few of her friends to show it to them, too. A little later, I noticed that my tab had been altered (using correction fluid) to read 100 Baht!

I don't know if Indians are charged a surcharge, or why my bill was changed, but in other instances, I've had girls express prejudice against Arabs and Indians, after asking where I was from!

I am equally concerned with the increasingly hostile attitude towards Americans especially as evidenced on the editorial page of the Bangkok Post. I frequently encounter it in pubs especially if i wear a shirt with the American flag on it. A lot of it seems to come from Brits. I will heartily agree however that the US criticism of the military takeover was and remains ill-advised. The USA has done some good things but very little under the current administration.

Any sane person should be able to differentiate between the Government of a certain country and the ordinary folks.

Wouldn't want to be thrown in the same pot with German chancellor Merkel and her lot.

Personally I haven't felt any sort of discrimination since my 5 years in Thailand, maybe because I don't worry about that too much.

There is a special kind of "racism" here in Thailand between Thais themselves: North vs. South, Moslems vs. Buddhists, BKK vs. all not from BKK, all vs. Isaan, Rich vs. Poor.

That's what my Thai wife is telling me.

Edited by maximillian
  • Like 1

is it some kind of rascism if whole bunch of women are tought to catch multiple dumb farang and making them send money every month or make them complete pennyless, or do they just call it business or payback for the lack of respect they get from their own thai boyfriends or husbands?

This makes no sense to me. Firstly Thailand doesn't have the "sole rights" to the 1st part of your statement. What's racism got to do with the stupidity of some guy or girl for that matter (I'm sure the toms are just as clever, we just don't hear about it) that fall for cons that are so well commented/known.

As for the last sentence, it makes just as much sense as the first part, that is no sense at all.

Thais tend to identify strongly with their own class, region and dialect, with each group usually having definite ideas about what they consider appropriate behavior. That includes manners, language and dress. These standards are not just ignored by foreigners but often flaunted to the irritation of the locals.

If you're getting looks, it often means either you or your partner are not adhering to the rules of appropriate behavior in the environment you are in. By all means offend the locals if you wish, just dont complain it they give you disapproving looks. Everything you do has consequences.

Wooowww, it must be hard to be oneself then, based on your comment.

Villagefarang are correct.

If you can speak Thai, please take a ride in the BTS in BKK for a couple hours and you will hear a lot of bad comments about you.

(They expect that you do not understand Thai )

The strange thing is that the Thais speak bad about everybody (incl other Thais) so it is actually not Racism.

(Human nature)

In my opinion the problem is the low level of educatation