Was thinking about Racism here, but is it that bad really?

bkkheat

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I was thinking about being called different things here in Thailand, double pricing etc.

We all get fed up with it every now and then and had a conversation about how racist Thai's are at the pub.

But after talking and seeing a lot of racism that has been going on towards Asians in general on youtube. I don't think us foreigners are getting it that bad.

The country people in any country are a little bit racists, probably because they are a bit more simple minded.

But I don't really see Thai's screaming at farangs on public transports, go farang bashing, making vidoes of themselves on how they hate farangs or gangs that hate all foreigners.

Perhaps it is a different type of racism, a quiet and not in your face racism.

I personally think us farangs are far more racists than Thai's could ever be, whats your thoughts?

I think one huge problem with the racism down here is that many of us actually support and enhance the notion of us as the whitey/farang.

So how are Thai people ever gonna change, if even we, ourselves insists on calling ourselves whitey/farang.

We are dehumanizing ourselves by doing this.

• Like 1

I think one huge problem with the racism down here is that many of us actually support and enhance the notion of us as the whitey/farang.

So how are Thai people ever gonna change, if even we, ourselves insists on calling ourselves whitey/farang.

I call myself a farang and have no problem when others do, too. I don't care about their motivation. I'm not going to let someone define how I perceive a word. It's not negative if I don't let it become so.

Maybe it's a bad analogy, but it brings to mind the word "queer." When I was an ignorant child, we used it to demean gay people. At some point the gay community said "F___ it, let's embrace the word and make it positive." They started calling themselves that publicly -- maybe there's a magazine with that name? -- and controlled the narrative.

If someone's going to discriminate against me, their actions might affect me, but I don't let a word do so.

I call myself a farang and have no problem when others do, too. I don't care about their motivation. I'm not going to let someone define how I perceive a word. It's not negative if I don't let it become so.

If someone's going to discriminate against me, their actions might affect me, but I don't let a word do so.

So you admit that discrimination might affect you.

Then if you think about it, you will also understand that to discriminate against us is much easier if we are dehumanized.

and that is exactly what the word whitey/farang is doing, dehumanizing us.

Then if you think about it, you will also understand that to discriminate against us is much easier if we are dehumanized.

Yeah, if I get double-charged, it's not because of a word. If someone thinks I'm a lesser person because of where I'm from, it's not because of a word, and that's on him, not me. Douchebags will be douchebags. I'm not going to change that, and neither will a word's disappearance.

Farang farang farang farang farang. Nope, still not dehumanizing me.

Yeah, if I get double-charged, it's not because of a word. If someone thinks I'm a lesser person because of where I'm from, it's not because of a word, and that's on him, not me. Douchebags will be douchebags. I'm not going to change that, and neither will a word's disappearance.

Farang farang farang farang farang. Nope, still not dehumanizing me.

If you had a Thai wife that would constantly call you whitey/farang instead of your name, would you agree that it would be better if she called you by your name?

If so, then you would be a fool, to not see the clear relationship between constantly being called "farang" and being much more likely to be a target of discrimination.

If you had a Thai wife that would constantly call you whitey/farang instead of your name, would you agree that it would be better if she called you by your name?

If so, then you would be a fool, to not see the clear relationship between constantly being called "farang" and being much more likely to be a target of discrimination.

I'm talking about small-minded douchebags who make no difference in my life. If you have a wife who won't call you what you want, you have much bigger problems than a word. We've been talking about racism in a society, not in a household.

• Like 1

I can't speak for anywhere else in Thailand but I can speak for what I see and experience in Pattaya and there is plenty of racism aside from double pricing?

I am sick of the double pricing crapola. It is not racism it is a blatant economic necessity. If you are too dense to see it, then go home and take your racism with you.

BKKHEAT, are you actually prepared to read the unabridged truth, about Thai mentality? Probably not, but here goes anyway.

First, there are three different perception levels of Thai (especially Thai male) mentalities. I shall focus on Thai menfolk, mostly because the menfolk in Thai culture, are a duplication of the dominating male gender demographic of all Asian societies, rooted in China. Make no mistake about it, Chinese cultural values totally dominate, dictate, and rule “the way things are”, in all of SE Asia.

You can easily witness the Asian racism phenomenon through the vast Thai television network of channels. They are (predominately) populated by white-skinned, Chinese/Eurasian types, with an occasional “Black Pepper” sprinkle of light-brown skinned (racially-mixed) Thais, just for appearances sake. You will NEVER see a full-blooded, dark-skinned, indigenous Malay Thai, as a permanent panelist, or news broadcaster, on any Thai television network, ever.

Racially tense, and socially “up-tight” Muslim dominated Malaysia, actually comes across better than Thailand does, in that regard.Racism in Asia is the product of nearly 7,000 years of refined, and sophisticated “know-your-place” socialization, deeply rooted in the Chinese (sand-boxed) culture.

Now, cutting to the chase of the matter, skin-color & tone cognition development, is the fastest, most easiest method to designate, and then segregate any society, into “controllable” demographic groups. Afterwards, you institute a collective religious base (i.e., Buddhism, Catholicism or Islam), to serve as the collective “glue” to hold the society (peacefully) together, as the “proud” citizenry of an “idolized” national entity.

The image of a Monarchy (King) promotes the public-mass perception of the “know-your-place, your class” structure of society.The 1917 Bolshevik Revolution of Russia, sought to eradicate (unsuccessfully) the social-hierarchy syndrome of human society.

So, you asked if Racism, in Thailand, is it really that bad? The perception of racism in Thailand (Asia), largely depends upon the skin-color of each individual witness. There are generally three (3) perception levels of Thai society.

Firstly, there’s the “bleached, white powdered skin, as the most pure of all” Chines/Japanese perception.

Secondly, there’s the “Alexander, The Great” perception of the “more technologically advanced people, than we are”. The Caucasian people ”worship” syndrome, beginning with the arrival of the Portuguese ships, in the middle of the 16th. Century, followed by the British, in the 18th.Century.

Thirdly, there’s the Negro-Phobic, (non-productive, banana-stealing, monkey-in-a- tree, bottom-of-the-barrel people of the world stigma) associated perception of black-skinned people. That notion is further exacerbated by the racially bigoted, lower-class levels of (predominately) "beer-for-breakfast" western expatriate retirement communities of the "losers-at-home" cliques, abounding thru-out SE Asia. Whew! (Singapore, not withstanding).

That characteristic trait is especially demonstrated within the very vocal, and opinionated genre of white American, Australian and British expat populations of Asia. These are the real high-horse riding, know-it-all bunch of the littlest “Little Lord Fauntleroys” class , as there ever was.

People are the same, around the world. The mass population of Thai people, is no exception to that standard rule. History has proven the masses (world-wide) to be nothing more than just “dumb, driven cattle”.

So, do not be “fooled” by the seeming shy nature of Thai people (particularly the Thai men-folk). It’s all a “smoke & mirrors” facade. Thai men have a deeply-rooted, passively-aggressive, “smiling-face” (under-covered) resentment toward ALL foreigners.

Despite the fact, that you can readily walk the streets of Bangkok, without being robbed, Thai men will pro-actively, and readily attack you (as a gang) @ the slightest provocation. In fact, they will even “set you-up” by circumstance (e.g., cheat you, steal something from you, or vandalize your property), as a means to bait you into confronting, just one of them, thereby giving them all ,the excuse they need, to “gang murder “ a farang”, w/ absolute impunity.

Read about some of the latest violent “farang” victim incidents on both Koh Samui & Phuket, by (adult influenced, and instigated) Thai teenage gangs. Most “farang khao” expats are too distracted by their own macho, “thinking with their penis” Harley-Davidson mentality, to ever see it coming.

As a foreigner, you have no fundamental human rights, anywhere in Asia.Read the book “Money Number One”, by Aloysius Bartholomew Thistlewaite, for the rest of the story. Capiche? Cheerscoffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360