Bangkok loses out to London: MasterCard

webfact

LAND OF SMILES
Bangkok loses out to London

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok has slipped from its top post in the MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index this year, mainly due to the recent political chaos.

Demonstrators crammed Bangkok streets for several months from late last year till May. At the height of this turmoil, many countries issued travel advisories informing their citizens to avoid unnecessary trips to Thailand.

According to the MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index 2014, the number of international visitors in Bangkok fell by 11 per cent to about 16.4 million. London, meanwhile, enjoyed eight-per-cent growth.

Attracting an estimated 18.7 million foreigners, London now sits at the top of the list while the 2013 champion Bangkok ended with the No 2 spot.

The number of international visitors to Bangkok was 10.4 million in 2010, 13.8 million in 2011, and 15.8 million in 2012. When this figure touched 18.46 million in 2013, Bangkok became the first Asian city to claim the world's No 1 spot.

The other cities in the top five were Paris (15.6m), Singapore (12.5 million) and Dubai (11.95 million).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bangkok-loses-out-to-London-30241681.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-25

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok has slipped from its top post in the MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index this year, mainly due to the recent political chaos.

Demonstrators crammed Bangkok streets for several months from late last year till May. At the height of this turmoil, many countries issued travel advisories informing their citizens to avoid unnecessary trips to Thailand.

I wonder if it was the demonstrators who crammed the streets that compelled tourists not to come. It may well have been evil spirits at the TAT offices, or possibly the grenades and automatic weapons fire aimed at the protesters.

I think these surveys if they can be believed are as relevant as Thaksin Shinawatra , what about all the tourists on Visa and American Express who all went to Europe or New Zealand this year, only poor people use MasterCard and if you believe that , you will believe any B/S from the Thai tourism brigade.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I think these surveys if they can be believed are as relevant as Thaksin Shinawatra , what about all the tourists on Visa and American Express who all went to Europe or New Zealand this year, only poor people use MasterCard and if you believe that , you will believe any B/S from the Thai tourism brigade.coffee1.gif

I am shocked and distressed, are you suggested that TAT would tell not not tell us " the truth, the whole truth and nothing like the truth " ?

• Like 2

The most popular destination is Europe, in particular France and Spain which collectively receive a whopping 140 million tourists. London BTW attracted over 18 million tourists this year, just one city, so i'm not surprised Bangkok lost out. When you compare those figures to Thailand, it's tourism appeal is a mere drop in the ocean. Food for thought wouldn't you say?

Edited by useronthenet

The most popular destination is Europe, in particular France and Spain which collectively receive a whopping 140 million tourists. London BTW attracted over 18 million tourists this year, just one city, so i'm not surprised Bangkok lost out. When you compare those figures to Thailand, it's tourism appeal is a mere drop in the ocean. Food for thought wouldn't you say?

I don't think France and Spain are so popular as they used to be...

Anytime I go to London or the UK the place is swarming with Tourists....

• Like 1

And nearly 12 million to Dubai? I have to question whether that figure is actual tourists spending time there or are transit / connecting passengers counted in those numbers. Many flights nowadays now touch down in Dubai rather than other cities and the true number of tourists visiting there may be skewed.

Is this more of an advertising plan than anything else. Mastercard is plastered all over this report and it will be seen on hundreds if not thousands of websites. The chances are that I'll now start seeing Mastercard ads next to these posts as well. I bet it costs a lot less than normal advertising.

I'm not really sure abut the figures either. Do they differentiate between actual tourists and transit passengers. Until just recently there were a lot of people residing here that were using tourist visas.

Also if someone is going to Phuket or Pattaya ect then they'll fly into Bangkok and travel from there. If they want to go to Florida they will fly there, to one of several airports not to DC or New York so the numbers are spread around . This makes the numbers to London and Bangkok less relevant.

If you want to get ripped off then go to London they are more polite and discrete while doing it overrated and overpriced I would have Bangkok any time over London.

Most tourists visit London to see the grand old architecture and soak up the immense history of one of the most famous cities in the world. People visit Bangkok for it's 'alternative' attractions. Also, many of those counted in Bangkok are in transit at the airport. Bangkok can't compare with London no matter how much cheaper it is, but at the end of the day it's horses for courses.

Very strange , another report showed that Paris was No 1 with over 25 millions visitors in 2013 ...... I really dont believe all those figures , honestly you cannot compare London , Paris to Bangkok .

MasterCard was chosen as it keeps BKK in the top few.

What do all other cards reveal ??? What would cash transactions reveal ?? they must be crazy if they think this is a cross section of monies.

Pad thai in London = 375 baht. Pad thai in Bangkok = 60 baht. Semi pros in London = 9,000 baht, not particularly impressive. Gorgeous semi pro in Bangkok = 1500 baht.

99% of people do not go to London to eat Pad Thai. 99% of people do not come to Thailand to eat Pad Thai.

London for history---The whole place is vibrant---expensive--clean-all prices are for any nationality-- but the average tourist has no problem with that.

Bangkok for "the Orient"---climate---something different that Europe----SOME beaches---culture----what % comes for the sex industry---large % a.n. other use BKK as a transit more than London ???

One other difference is that with the Paris or London numbers, most likely you are looking at something that is approximating reality. Truth, transparency, honest estimates, real numbers, and accurate information is something that is in ever short supply in Thailand. So, who knows how many visitors there really are. All you can be sure of is that you are not being told the straight facts.