Documents to Bangkok quickly: EMS vs. Courier ?

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Before posting this message, I did a search on this forum on "Courier Bangkok," and "Courier Service." There was one mention of a courier service in Kad Suan Kaew named: "Por Lor." Anyone have any current information on this service ?

There are several listings for "Por Lor Express" on the net, including one at Big C, another at Lotus Hang Dong. All of these listings are by third-party indexer sites, and none have a phone number for Por Lor listed.

Do you think there'd be any advantage time-wise to sending documents via EMS from the main P.O. (near Wat Phra Singh), or the P.O. at the Airport ... compared to "any other" P.O. branch here ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Have you thought about the bus ?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Joe,

No I haven't considered the bus. What has been your experience using buses in Chiang Mai for document forwarding ?

If I can rule out the airport PO for you, they are just a private independent business not affiliated to the Thailand post.

They simply hand deliver all their parcels etc to phra singh or hang dong or warorot ay end of each day.

I know the couple quite well.

• Like 1

The bus would be much quicker than EMS which will spend 24 hours at the main sorting facility in Lamphun before it goes to Bangkok. The last 2 packages I sent to Bangkok via EMS took 4 and 5 days respectively.

Go to Arcade. There are dozens of buses going straight to Bangkok every day. All you have to do is ask around with the guys who are loading up the cargo into the underbelly of the buses, who takes care of things like that and they will point you in the direction. The guys working on the buses look forward to these kinds of jobs as they can earn extra money. We have sent literally everything from documents to a big and heavy baby bed to live animals on the bus and never had a single problem. We gave the guy 200 Baht to take care of the animals and he called us quite literally every hour to let us know they had just been given water and they were O.K. We always look for the nicer buses (less chance of a breakdown haha). Ask for the mobile number of the guy who will be your "courier" and they will call you once they arrive in Bangkok confirming the package is there.

But.......will someone come to the bus station in Bangkok to pick up the documents???

The bus would be much quicker than EMS which will spend 24 hours at the main sorting facility in Lamphun before it goes to Bangkok. The last 2 packages I sent to Bangkok via EMS took 4 and 5 days respectively.

Whenever I send EMS international, from post offices around CM, they always go to BKK that night. Why would they hold at Lamphun 24 hours? Removes the E from EMS.

• Like 1

Whenever I send EMS international, from post offices around CM, they always go to BKK that night. Why would they hold at Lamphun 24 hours? Removes the E from EMS.

EMS within Thailand always goes to Lamphun first (from C.M.). They usually tell you at the P.O. registered mail is faster than EMS within Thailand. Only difference is the included amount of insurance is higher with EMS. Can't say about International though.

• Like 1

EMS within Thailand always goes to Lamphun first (from C.M.). They usually tell you at the P.O. registered mail is faster than EMS within Thailand. Only difference is the included amount of insurance is higher with EMS. Can't say about International though.

International EMS & registered goes to Lamphun, then on to BKK that night. Use them frequently & always at Swampy sorting office by 11 am next day.
  • Like 2

Many thanks for the informative responses !

fyi: I ended up using DHL (opposite Airport Plaza), which charged 324 Baht for next day delivery to Bangkok. That was a lower cost than expected. I went to DHL "on impulse," not aware of what services they provided, and was prepared to go to the main P.O. near Wat Phra Singh in case.

I just received a packet today from DHL originally from the USA - but forwarded to me out of Bkk by Thai Post EMS to Ao Nang ... because DHL does not have delivery using their own capabilities to the Krabi area... Bottom line I was sent by email a tracking number for Thai Post EMS - and evidently it took little time in transport ... Worked very quickly and I like the EMS service. The EMS on line tracking worked well - but I couldn't find an English language button - so I just use google translate and copy / paste.

Many thanks for the informative responses !

fyi: I ended up using DHL (opposite Airport Plaza), which charged 324 Baht for next day delivery to Bangkok. That was a lower cost than expected. I went to DHL "on impulse," not aware of what services they provided, and was prepared to go to the main P.O. near Wat Phra Singh in case.

fairly high actually if it was documents. I have sent 20kg from both chiangrai and chiangmai overnight with home pickup and delivery for 700baht.

• Like 1