Major drive to regulate Phuket tour agencies starts this week

webfact

PHUKET: Major drive to regulate Phuket tour agencies starts this week
The Phuket News

1408946337_1-org.jpg
Tourists board their speedboats after a tour to Koh Kai Nai in Phang Nga Bay.

PHUKET: -- Tour agencies and operators could face a six-month suspension of business if they are found to be contravening regulations, the new head of the Southern Office of Tourism Business and Guide Registration (TBGR) has warned.

Santi Pawai – who is also head of the Phuket Office of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports – also warned that officials will next week begin checking the more than 1,500 tour companies in Phuket.

The checks will begin on Thursday (August 28), after tourism business and tour guide representatives have been briefed by Mr Santi’s office at a conference on Wednesday.

“The TBGR Southern Office has never before inspected tour operators in Phuket. Some of them may be doing business they are not registered for,” Mr Santi told The Phuket News.

“If we find any office operating without a license or with an office in a different location from the one on the license, they will be shut down for six months,” he warned.

At the meeting on Wednesday a new body will be launched, the Phuket Tourism Business Association (PTBA) “in order to improve the standards of tour operators in Phuket,” said Mr Santi Pawai.

“After the PTBA has been set up, it will be easy to control the standards and discuss problems, and it will be easier to coordinate with screen tour agencies who want to apply for a tourism license from us. This will ensure that tourists are more fully protected [from cheating or poor service by tour agencies],” he explained.

Also on the agenda will be prices for tours. Mr Santi said that he had discovered that some companies were offering very low-price but low-quality tours.

“This could damage the image of tourism in Thailand. I think we should set standard prices and then tour agencies can compete on quality of service,” he added.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/major-drive-to-regulate-phuket-tour-agencies-starts-this-week-48024.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-25

• Like 1

They are talking about tour operators and tour agencies, which are two different things. A tour agency is only selling tours, which are organized by tour operators.

As far as tour agencies are concerned, they need a licence issued by the TAT.

Last year to extend the licence for our tour agency, we had to go to the TAT office in Phuket I think about 10 times, the requirements had become a lot more stringent. A lot of nitpicking about details. Kafka was really nothing compared to it, one TAT officer telling me I was almost there, but the next time talking to another officer and leaving with the feeling of having gone back from square 61 to square 3, like in a children's board game.

Their waiting room was always full of Thai people complaining that it had become so much more difficult compared to the previous years.

Oh well, let's hope the PTBA check described above will make more sense, you don't want tourists to board a boat with an illegal floor added to it, not enough life vests, the boat staff nor really up to the task, and a possibility of storm later in the day.

• Like 1

Checking in low season, when many companies are inactive ? Doing this around x-mas would be a good time to find many unlicensed operators in business, with their unsafe boats and drugged or drunken Captains.

Price fixing ? Is this guy a Marxist ? 2nd time that he is mentioning this foolish idea. Once standards are enforced, prices will automatically go up, as investments will be necessary. But this is obviously too high maths bah.gif

Thailand needs to,get,it's finger out in a lot,of,ways, it's 2014 , Tourists and People want to come to a safe , secure and organised Holiday destination, all these problems that Phuket has, should of been sorted out years ago...

I look forward to the day that I can arrive at Phuket Airport and get a taxi home, at a sensible price... But as of yet... It is not happening.

Saying that, they are trying so got to give that to them...

• Like 1

This is well overdue ,but late is better than never ! and hopefully they do a good job. While they are at it they should enforce a 50 meter no parking zone for boats either side of one of the few public boat ramps at Chalong. This area should be restricted to launch and retreval of boats only. There should also be no parking of motor vehicles within 25 meters of the boat ramp access to allow boat and vehicles to access the boat ramp.

Currently , the ramp is totally blocked with vehicles and speed boats so the ramp can not be used , unless you are one of the taxi boat mafia that block this site from public use , clear the area of these mafia pricks and I will buy a trailer power boat like I intended, but after investigating this site which is mafia controlled,and another site at Rawai which is only accessible 3 hours either side of high tide, I have gone off the idea of a trailer boat.

There should be more public boat ramps in Phuket , you can count on 1 hand the total available in Phuket and most and the best are mafia controlled, ie. Chalong.Please fix this problem and police the area and give big fines so the public can also have access to the sea by boat ramps.

• Like 1

“If we find any office operating without a license or with an office in a different location from the one on the license, they will be shut down for six months,” he warned."

If you find an office without a license, why wouldn't it be shut down permanently? Sounds like after 6 months, they can open up illegally once again.

• Like 1

If someone is operating without a licence, I am not sure allowing them to resume operations after 6months is the right approach.

Stopping them operating until they do get a licence, along with a fine or confiscation of their equipment may be better.

Anyhow, why am I starting to blow hot air too!

no drink?

no ya baa?

no captain without license?

no tour company without license?

no crazy racing on the sea?

no tour without enough life-saver equipment?

no tour during crazy weather circumstances?

need too much new rules I guess ...

Edited by Loles

They are talking about tour operators and tour agencies, which are two different things. A tour agency is only selling tours, which are organized by tour operators.

Last year to extend the licence for our tour agency, we had to go to the TAT office in Phuket I think about 10 times, the requirements had become a lot more stringent. A lot of nitpicking about details. Kafka was really nothing compared to it, one TAT officer telling me I was almost there, but the next time talking to another officer and leaving with the feeling of having gone back from square 61 to square 3, like in a children's board game.

Their waiting room was always full of Thai people complaining that it had become so much more difficult compared to the previous years.

Oh well, let's hope the PTBA check described above will make more sense, you don't want tourists to board a boat with an illegal floor added to it, not enough life vests, the boat staff nor really up to the task, and a possibility of storm later in the day.

Foreigners are not supposed to operate or work in tour companies as its work reserved for Thai's.

However as the Thai's companies and operators normally dont speak English, Russian, or Klingon then Aliens must be used.

MMMM me thinks a rock and a hard place.

Foreigners are not supposed to operate or work in tour companies as its work reserved for Thai's.

However as the Thai's companies and operators normally dont speak English, Russian, or Klingon then Aliens must be used.

Just the profession of being a tour guide is prohibited for foreigners. A foreigner can do other work in companies organizing and/or selling tours though, like being the general manager for instance.

Just the profession of being a tour guide is prohibited for foreigners. A foreigner can do other work in companies organizing and/or selling tours though, like being the general manager for instance.

Tourism is a Category B

check it out

Tourism is a Category B

check it out

Misunderstanding, or maybe just wrong wording, on your side. There are countless foreigners working legally in the tourism industry, for instance in hotels, diving schools and tour operating outfits. But to work as a tour guide is definitely not allowed.

• Like 1

No I understand

as I do WP's everyday

the nonsense that one has to go through to get a work permit in the Tourism industry is unbelieveable

The crackdown has begun.

Looking at your quote 'Foreigners are not supposed to operate or work in tour companies as its work reserved for Thai's.' it looks like you don't understand.

The WP application process has not changed the last years.

No I understand

as I do WP's everyday

the nonsense that one has to go through to get a work permit in the Tourism industry is unbelieveable

The crackdown has begun.

Looking at your quote 'Foreigners are not supposed to operate or work in tour companies as its work reserved for Thai's.' it looks like you don't understand.

I dont understand your English

I dont know if you are referring to the Thai written Law or the English translation of the Thai written Law

When in doubt it is always the Thai written Law that is used

have a look at section 1.2 1.3 1.5 and of course the category of work reserved for Thais

No I understand

as I do WP's everyday

The crackdown has begun.

I dont know if you are referring to the Thai written Law or the English translation of the Thai written Law

have a look at section 1.2 1.3 1.5 and of course the category of work reserved for Thais

You don't understand your own quote you mean?

Nowhere does it say a foreigner can not be active in tourism. He/she can not work as a tourguide, but 'in tourism' is possible.

No I understand

as I do WP's everyday

The crackdown has begun.

Nowhere does it say a foreigner can not be active in tourism. He/she can not work as a tourguide, but 'in tourism' is possible.

Where does it say that?

Where does it say that?

I give up.