Lao Visa

Spaniel

Does anyone know how much the charge is for Lao visa in dollars or bhat at the Friendship bridge?

Also do you need a photo? I have a US passport.

The cost last time I went was 1500 baht. From memory you need a photo, but it is over a year since I went and I've forgotten, Have fun in lovely Laos.

I arrived at the airport and the fee was USD 30, plus you need a passport size photo. I think someplace it was mentioned that you need two photos, but they only took one. If you don't have your photo with you, they have a camera setup there, but imagine you have to pay to use it. Don't know if they have a similar setup at Friendship Bridge or not, but imagine the cost would be the same.

I arrived at the airport and the fee was USD 30, plus you need a passport size photo. I think someplace it was mentioned that you need two photos, but they only took one. If you don't have your photo with you, they have a camera setup there, but imagine you have to pay to use it. Don't know if they have a similar setup at Friendship Bridge or not, but imagine the cost would be the same.

You can get photos from one of the "visa shops" along the road to the bridge. I would recommend getting photos in advance before getting to Lao Immigration, I didn't see any cameras set up there.. and from the Lao border/immigration officers general attitude I can't imagine them doing anything to help.

You can also use the visa services at the "visa shop", but it's not hard to fill the forms out and do it yourself.

totster :o

You don't need a photo. Cost is 1,500 baht with a photo or 1,550 baht without a photo. The process is EXACTLY the same.

If you do decide to get a photo ahead of time only one is needed. I've gone thru 3 times and never had a photo with me.

The last time (about 2 weeks ago) was the best. Only took 58 minutes for the whole process and it was overcast so not even hot. :D

LDB :o

30 dollars and 1 photo at the bridge. Never heard of paying extra with no photo, but I can believe it.

I use alot of photos so I go to a photo shop and buy them 2 dozen at a time, much cheaper.

The visa shops at the bridge used to be a BIG rip off, but now I understand they just charge a small fee to fill out the form for you. Doesnt save any time, so why bother.

The Lao people are very polite and friendly, but for some reason the officials at the bridge have a real attitude problem! I just stay cool and get it over with. Last time my 100 dollar bill wasnt good enough for them. It was fine but not perfect, so I had to change it for a new one at the bank window.

You don't need a photo. Cost is 1,500 baht with a photo or 1,550 baht without a photo. The process is EXACTLY the same.

If you do decide to get a photo ahead of time only one is needed. I've gone thru 3 times and never had a photo with me.

The last time (about 2 weeks ago) was the best. Only took 58 minutes for the whole process and it was overcast so not even hot. :D

OK, now something I read a while back is making sense. Some people were saying that the fee to enter Laos was $30, and others were saying it was $31, figuring that it was some sort of a scheme by the Laos officials to make more money. But the photo thing is obviously the reason why they were charged the extra dollar. $30 with a photo, $31 without. As has been mentioned, you're much better off bringing dollars as it's considerably cheaper than bringing baht.

Soju,

Sometimes they charge an extra dollar if you enter during thier lunch break. Lately they havent been doing that. Also, when leaving Laos, sometimes they charge 20 baht departure tax, sometimes not.

Soju,

I crossed at Chong Mek. The tour I travelled with asked for 2 photos in advance.

The visa was $30. I crossed the border on a Saturday and personally paid at the visa window. They asked for an additional $1 for weekend overtime. There was a notice in the visa office stating the $1 overtime charge.

ray23,

I don't mind paying the extra buck, it still costs less than paying in Baht. These overtime fees happen at a lot of border crossings. :o

Photos don't cost a mint. I do the same as tatom. I use a photo studio and carry a stack of passport size photos with me when I'm travelling.

30 dollars and 1 photo at the bridge. Never heard of paying extra with no photo, but I can believe it.

I use alot of photos so I go to a photo shop and buy them 2 dozen at a time, much cheaper.

The visa shops at the bridge used to be a BIG rip off, but now I understand they just charge a small fee to fill out the form for you. Doesnt save any time, so why bother.

The Lao people are very polite and friendly, but for some reason the officials at the bridge have a real attitude problem! I just stay cool and get it over with. Last time my 100 dollar bill wasnt good enough for them. It was fine but not perfect, so I had to change it for a new one at the bank window.

I've never had a problem with officials on either side; maybe I've been lucky.

As far as needing/not needing a photo; there is a sign (it's been there at least 6 months) posted right by where you hand over your passport/fee. It basically says (among other things) "no photo pay extra $1 USD or 50 baht". Heck, all they do is copy your passport photo; they HOPE you don't have a photo so they can make the extra dosh. Since I only cross every 90 days I don't worry about saving 50 baht.

Yes to one of the posters......$30 USD cheaper than 1500 baht. But I only have Thai currency and it's not worth my time to exchange baht for dollars when I make a border run each 90 days. This is a personal choice.