Koh Pha Ngan authorities issue box jellyfish warning

application of vinegar is, I believe, to paralyse the "nematocysts" - these are minute stinging mechanisms that continue to work on the tentacles attached to the the victims.....removing the tentacles without vinegar results in repeated injections.

in audstralia these creatures are seasonal and the beaches affected have netted swimming areas during this period.

As these are a similar animals here in Thailand, one wonders if they too are seasonal and if so the authorities should know in advance when they are likely to proliferate close to beaches.

A couple of years back there was a lot of "talk" going on about what to do about these animals, but it seems to have petered out.......of course the coastal tourism ins=dustries instinctive reaction seems to be to deny things like this as it affects trade - a short term perspective, if ever there was one.

​BTW - Box jellies are not like other jellyfish, there are various types of box jellies, but they should not be confused or compared to the stings of other "conventional" jellyfish

8 years ago, i approached a major Thai water-sports company and suggested they sponsor "vinegar points" on popular beaches in the Andaman and Gulf......they didn't see the point.

Edited by wilcopops

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Box jellyfish and and others are a huge seasonal problem in the rivers and oceans of northern Australia.

Popular swimming areas are netted to prevent jelly fish entering. Seawater pools in Darwin are triple filtered.

Surfers wear full lycra suits for protection.

First aid treatment for years had been the application of vinegar, but this has recently been found to increase the release of venom, and hot water is recommended. There is currently controversy as to what the best treatment is.

http://www.marine-medic.com.au/pages/firstaid/first_aid_treatment_of_jellyfish_stings.asp

Seems like warning signs are going to have to go up to prevent further deaths, and authorities may need to talk to the experts about netting off popular beach areas.

attachicon.gif150px-Marinesting1.jpgattachicon.gif250px-JellyfishNetAustralia.JPGattachicon.gifMedicinal_Vinegar.jpgattachicon.gifThe-leg-of-10-year-old-Au-006.jpg

Growing up in Australia you would always, at certain times of the year encounter what we knew, as bluebottles.One old myth to relieve the sting was to rub wet sand into the affected area. I well remember rushing my 10 years old to a local hospital as he was having trouble breathing after being stung.They are no joke but the average Thai would probably not have a clue that jellyfish, of any variety, were dangerous except those who lived on the coast . Apart from signs and education not a lot more you can do.

Blue bottles - Portuguese Man o'War - it a different animal and has never been known to kill anyone - although the sting is painful and administered by the same mechanism.

Box jellyfish and and others are a huge seasonal problem in the rivers and oceans of northern Australia.

Popular swimming areas are netted to prevent jelly fish entering. Seawater pools in Darwin are triple filtered.

First aid treatment for years had been the application of vinegar, but this has recently been found to increase the release of venom, and hot water is recommended. There is currently controversy as to what the best treatment is.

http://www.marine-medic.com.au/pages/firstaid/first_aid_treatment_of_jellyfish_stings.asp

Seems like warning signs are going to have to go up to prevent further deaths, and authorities may need to talk to the experts about netting off popular beach areas.

attachicon.gif150px-Marinesting1.jpgattachicon.gif250px-JellyfishNetAustralia.JPGattachicon.gifMedicinal_Vinegar.jpgattachicon.gifThe-leg-of-10-year-old-Au-006.jpg

Growing up in Australia you would always, at certain times of the year encounter what we knew, as bluebottles.One old myth to relieve the sting was to rub wet sand into the affected area. I well remember rushing my 10 years old to a local hospital as he was having trouble breathing after being stung.They are no joke but the average Thai would probably not have a clue that jellyfish, of any variety, were dangerous except those who lived on the coast . Apart from signs and education not a lot more you can do.

"They are no joke but the average Thai would probably not have a clue that jellyfish, of any variety, were dangerous except those who lived on the coast"

There are many possible factors involved in the increase in reported attacks.

One may be that they are now being recognised and reported.

however the sea around Thailand is full of people who weren't there 10 or 20 years ago....they aren't just Thai, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them are foreigners.

Thai culture regards the sea as something to look ar rather than be in. AND of course most Thai people swim with clothes on - the perfect protection from Stingers.

I might add it is possible but not established that there is an increase in numbers of jellies - and there are several factors that could explain an increase, but no so far as I'm aware, have been fully researched.

Edited by Rooo
f

get yey guns boys we be shootin us some ...some ...some...jelly fish........cant you realize,nature was here long before us,yet we survive...kill the sharks,kill the gators,kill the jellyfish....and kill all the beach dogs, because unsupervised kids may get bit....soon you will have the beaches to your selves...''CRICKETS''............are you happy now..........

I believe the main predator of box jellies is the turtle.....so if you kill the turtles.......

OOPS! I just found this!

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/vinegar-on-jellyfish-sting-can-be-deadly-researchers-20140408-zqs8b.html

apparently vinegar is now believed to INCREASE the effect of the venom.

in fact it seems that they've opened a can of worms

"He says in the 1980s researchers investigated what vinegar did and found evidence of its effectiveness.

"What those studies with vinegar showed was that if you apply vinegar to those tentacles when they're on the body, that those stinging balls that haven't gone off become completely and totally inactive, which is really good," he said.

"The problem was nobody looked at what the vinegar did to the ones that have already fired off.

"That's what our research has shown: that of the ones that have already fired off - and it might only be 20 or 30 per cent - you apply vinegar to them and it increases the venom coming out of those by 60 per cent, and that's the kicker."

- Prof. Jamie Seymour
"Ken Winkel, the director of the Australian Venom Research Unit at the University of Melbourne, said there was not enough evidence to support a claim by Queensland researchers that using vinegar on stings actually caused more venom to enter the body."
"But Professor Seymour backed the team’s findings, saying: “I would suggest that Ken (Winkel) should produce some data to show that the application of vinegar is not harmful and then we can probably have a discussion. Until then, he really doesn’t have a leg to stand on.”
Edited by wilcopops

You are 100% correct do not use vinegar . Wam to hot water is the best thing to use . Lucky they don't get the iragangi( not sure of the spelling ) here they are even more deadly than the box jellyfish and virtually invisible to the naked eye .

It's IRUKUNJI or close to that, and is aboriginal for 'painful death'.

Its Irukanji. Named after the local aboriginal tribe around Cairns NQ where the so called Irukanji syndrome was first observed.

My daughter was 9 when she was stung, thankfully she was OK but it was a very distressing time for all concerned.

The only mark on her body was a comma shaped welt on her chest just above the top of her swimmers maybe 3 or 4mm long. The hospital nurse knew what is was immediately thank God.

I took us about 10 minutes from the time she was stung until we arrived at the hospital. During that time she lost feeling in her legs and her stomach area became very swollen.

They poured vinegar over the sting area and then started pumping pethidine into her. Her body temperature dropped rapidly (maybe blood pressure as well, I really don't know) so they wrapped in the aluminium space blankets.

After a couple of hours she was OK and went home.

I was stung by an irukanji in Krabi 27 years ago as a young backpacker. I ran screaming onto the beach calling for help. A lady vending on the beach came and tried to rub...wait for it...tiger balm on the sting. I fled from her and accross the road to a Thai chinese merchant shop. Inside I crashed through the disorder of groceries shouting vinegar...vinegar...the lady owner started screaming at me. Back then I spoke no Thai. I finally found a bottle of vinegar and then ran outside and sat in the gutter flooding the sting with the contents from the bottle. The owner of the shop followed me out and was screaming and beating me on the back with a straw broom. I passed out and then...a few minutes later another beach vendor lady woke me up by rubbing tiger balm under my nose. I gathered myself, went in to the shop, paid the lady for the vinegar, and then got a motorcycle taxi back to my bungalow. That night I drank a 2 litre bottle of Cuttysark with my girlfriend, an aussie and a canadian. The Canadian is still one of my best friends, the girlfriend died of breast cancer in her early forties.

Turtles and fish that eat the jellyfish are over-fished and die from eating the plastic bags idiots throw in the sea. Warmer waters and lack of predators, time for some jelly fish recipes and overfish them like everything else. .

• Like 1

You are 100% correct do not use vinegar . Wam to hot water is the best thing to use . Lucky they don't get the iragangi( not sure of the spelling ) here they are even more deadly than the box jellyfish and virtually invisible to the naked eye .

It's IRUKUNJI or close to that, and is aboriginal for 'painful death'.

Its Irukanji. Named after the local aboriginal tribe around Cairns NQ where the so called Irukanji syndrome was first observed.

My daughter was 9 when she was stung, thankfully she was OK but it was a very distressing time for all concerned.

The only mark on her body was a comma shaped welt on her chest just above the top of her swimmers maybe 3 or 4mm long. The hospital nurse knew what is was immediately thank God.

I took us about 10 minutes from the time she was stung until we arrived at the hospital. During that time she lost feeling in her legs and her stomach area became very swollen.

They poured vinegar over the sting area and then started pumping pethidine into her. Her body temperature dropped rapidly (maybe blood pressure as well, I really don't know) so they wrapped in the aluminium space blankets.

After a couple of hours she was OK and went home.

Having lived in Cairns and Townsville, coastal far north Queensland, Australia, I understand exactly what you are posing.

Unfortunately, from my conversations with some health care workers in Petchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan, I doubt your daughter would have survived an Irukanji sting here.

And from observations of many beaches in Petchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan, there are generally no warnings about jellyfish here, let alone public knowledge about what to do if stung.

I am lucky to have spent 2 decades living close to the beach in cities where jellyfish and Irukanji are an annual 'problem'; and remember reading annually in the local press stories of tourists getting stung by jellyfish and Irukanji, despite the warning and nets.

Do not see any chance of improvement here, soon.

There are MILLIONS of Khra Puk in Cha Am, allover, you can't go inside the sea anymore. They are even stranded on the beach. What an invasion. This is also very bad for Thailand, more than the political turmoils, because people come to Thailand mostly to enjoy the beach, right ?

If you have to stay in your hotel 's swimming pool, that wouldn t be a nice holiday.

I think you may be confusing the common seasonal bloom of jellyfish (some harmless, some a mild sting) with the rare, but agonising sting of a box jelly.

I believe many victims die of drowning due to the pain....

Considering how many people are in the water in Thai waters each year, the odds of meeting a boxjelly must be very low.

All the same, I agree, I dont go in the water when i see hundreds of dead jellies washed up on the beach, but aside from netting off large parts of the coast, what can be done?

And whilst it may be an inconvenience for maybe a 10th? (depends on season/location) of the 15mil tourists, no, I dont believe it 'more bad' than the political turmoil for the 70 odd million Thais and expats that live here.

Deepest sympathies to the family, such a sad loss sad.png

• Like 1

There are other stinging jelly fish about, painful but not deadly.

Two years back at Koh Lak, north of Phuket, a Scandinavian swimmer came out of the water yelling his head off.

He'd hit a jelly fish, and my description of the stings to the experts in Australia said it was most probably a 'sheet' type sting, from a jelly fish with a sheet of tentacles.

I used vinegar on him, as the locals had no ideas, and it seemed to ease the pain.

There is still no proven cure for any of these stings, and the Surf Life Saving Association in Oz say they'll stay with vinegar until a better cure is found. One of the references I quoted states that hot water (tested before using) is the best.

Netting of popular swimming areas is the best answer, but who would do it and when?

What evil demiurge created this worthless creature?

Can anything be done to rid the seas of them or are they the rats of the ocean?

Stuff like this makes me hate nature.

Jellyfish are an important food source for turtles.

But the poor old turtles can't distinguish between a discarded plastic bag and a jelly fish, so they're not doing too well.

Like mozzies and flies, it looks like we're stuck with the jelly fish.

• Like 2

What evil demiurge created this worthless creature?

Can anything be done to rid the seas of them or are they the rats of the ocean?

Stuff like this makes me hate nature.

Jellyfish are an important food source for turtles.

But the poor old turtles can't distinguish between a discarded plastic bag and a jelly fish, so they're not doing too well.

Like mozzies and flies, it looks like we're stuck with the jelly fish.

So these turtles are rather stupid. Well evolution will take care of that. Any of three things can happen; Only turtles that can distinguish between plastic bags and jellyfish survive and produce offspring that can do the same. Or turtles will become extinct or best case scenario; turtles will adapt to metabolize plastic bags. Edited by Gulfsailor

This isnt the Thai authorities fault or the jellyfish's. It is a parental fail. The box jellyfish is huge as far as serious venom jellyfish are concerned.

When i was a child, i played with jellyfish which is probably whats happened here, except this one packs a punch.

I am a dive instructor and have dived 2 years here with no rash gaurd or wet suit. I have never been stung. I simply swim round.

I am sure the parents are devasted and my love and support goes to them at this difficult time. There is nothing anyone can say or do to make their situation any better.

Maybe the seawater temperature increase is a reason for why there are more jellyfish around now than before? In April- May the surface water temp. was almost 32 Celsius far out at the Similan Islands! This has also caused coral bleaching in many areas in the Andaman sea.

Maybe the seawater temperature increase is a reason for why there are more jellyfish around now than before? In April- May the surface water temp. was almost 32 Celsius far out at the Similan Islands! This has also caused coral bleaching in many areas in the Andaman sea.

I've read that this is happening in northern australia too, as crocs and jellyfish are appearing further south than usual.

Of course, there are the usual flat earthers who say this is not happening, but the proof is there.

Before long the shark nets will have to be replaced by stinger nets.

I've read that this is happening in northern australia too, as crocs and jellyfish are appearing further south than usual.

Of course, there are the usual flat earthers who say this is not happening, but the proof is there.

Before long the shark nets will have to be replaced by stinger nets.

There is no hard evidence yet to back up the theory that the jelly fish population is on the increase.

There are as I said possible factors....climate change being one...the lack of leatherbacks is another.

the simple truth is that jellyfish around Thailand are under researched.

Regarding the vinegar vs water treatment, the use of vinegar doesn't kill people/victims of box jelly sting; vinegar will dis-arm the majority of the venomous stinging cells at the very least. If it is applied soon enough, the tentacle can then be quickly removed. Sea water does nothing except maybe loosen the tentacle’s grip on the skin. While the tentacle is in contact with the skin the cells keep firing like a slow release system. When the tentacle first makes contact it does a lot of firing, then it slows down but keeps going. If touched by a hand or object or fresh water at this point, it’s like a booby trap and lets fire with a massive one-off explosion. Vinegar is known to do a complete disarmament of un-fired cells - perhaps this at least makes the odds of survival greater.

All the current evidence suggests that vinegar is the right thing to do. Victims seem to not die when vinegar is applied. Vinegar station systems and protocols are still being used in Queensland, WA and NT (tropical north Australia).

"All the current evidence suggests that vinegar is the right thing to do. Victims seem to not die when vinegar is applied. Vinegar station systems and protocols are still being used in Queensland, WA and NT (tropical north Australia)."

THIS IS NOT TRUE!
The new research contradicts this.

Any results of this new research have not filtered through and changed the vinegar station systems and protocols. Among the specialists there's a lot of discussion going on about what the right treatment is. Currently, vinegar is still being advised. The new research seems to be controversial at the moment.

Do you have proof that protocols have changed in Queensland and other territories in Australia?

Just for you information, your link doesn't open at the current location I'm at.

Edited by limbos

Results came out in April this year, and have created quite a stir in the Aussie press, nevertheless regardless of whether it is proved right or wrong, your (quoted) statement remains incorrect.

""All the current evidence suggests that vinegar is the right thing to do. Victims seem to not die when vinegar is applied. Vinegar station systems and protocols are still being used in Queensland, WA and NT (tropical north Australia)."

The latest current evidence contradicts the accepted knowledge - whereas Vinnie's has reiterated they are not changing protocols as yet, EVERYONE will certainly be reviewing them over the next few months....and if this research is proven right they will ALL have to change.

If you read my first few posts in this thread on this, it was before I found out about the new research.

Yes - of course it's controversial it is suggesting a total about turn in the way we treat Box Jelly stings............. but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Whatever you believe.....your post that I quoted is not true - there have been SERIOUS questions raised about the application of vinegar from a well respected source.

"Here's a link from the SMH.

http://: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/vinegar-on-jellyfish-sting-can-be-deadly-researchers-20140408-zqs8b.html

..and the ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-08/vinegar-makes-box-jellyfish-stings-worse-aust-researchers/5374274

Here's the JCU link again.

http://www-public.jcu.edu.au/news/JCU_135736

(You might have to cut and paste it...it doesn't seem to be behaving itself.) - OK it's working now.

sorry not Vinnie's; St Johns

Edited by wilcopops

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/08/28/4076213.htm

Suggest you all read this, it states that vinegar is the only way to neutralize the stings from releasing the other 90% of their venom killing the victim, the application of hot water or ice(or urine) can lead to death as it induces the stings to release the other 90% of their venom killing the victim and this is by the the leading expert in Australia and is not a theory. These new theories being bandied around can be the cause of many deaths if followed, vinegar is the only proven defence against these stings that is currently proven, it is the only approved method to be used in Australia currently and it is the only way recomeneded by the Australian CSIRO.

I would suggest people read the above article before doing something that could cause the death of others, until these new theories are tested and proven over multiple cases it is best to rely on the proven use of vinegar, I have not heard of anyone dying from the use of vinegar but I have heard about the numerous people saved by its use.

• Like 2

Agreed. Our beach bag contains an atomiser of vinegar, disposable gloves & a spatchular. If this were to run out everyone knows to grab tomato sauce or similar vinegar-based condiment from the nearest restaurant. Something (vinegar) is better than nothing at all, particularly when the reaction time of the emergency services is taken into account. An additional bonus in having an atomiser is that they keep nuisance dogs at bay too.

ATOM1L__63012_thumb.jpg

Link from DAN Asia-Pacific re regional Jellyfish stings:

http://www.danap.org/research/jellyfish/jellyfish.html

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/08/28/4076213.htm

Suggest you all read this, it states that vinegar is the only way to neutralize the stings from releasing the other 90% of their venom killing the victim, the application of hot water or ice(or urine) can lead to death as it induces the stings to release the other 90% of their venom killing the victim and this is by the the leading expert in Australia and is not a theory. These new theories being bandied around can be the cause of many deaths if followed, vinegar is the only proven defence against these stings that is currently proven, it is the only approved method to be used in Australia currently and it is the only way recomeneded by the Australian CSIRO.

I would suggest people read the above article before doing something that could cause the death of others, until these new theories are tested and proven over multiple cases it is best to rely on the proven use of vinegar, I have not heard of anyone dying from the use of vinegar but I have heard about the numerous people saved by its use.

I suggest you read the new research - this is the old information.
If my links don't work - they do for me - check it out on Google - the new research came out this year and potentially turns the old treatment on its head.
the difference being that whereas vinegar nullifies the injection of venom it now seen=ms that it INCREASES the power of the venom by 60%, apparently since the 1980s no-one has looked at this - the idea of vinegar was first used by chance in the Philipines and has been adopted as the thing to do.
April 2014 - "researchers from James Cook University and Cairns hospital in far north Queensland have found that vinegar promotes the discharge of box jellyfish venom.

"You can increase the venom load in your victim by 50 per cent," says Associate Professor Jamie Seymour from the Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine at the university."

This is the same Uni as Lisa Gershwin - I find it hard to see why she wouldn't mention this report, if her comments were made after April.

I think before protocols are changed there needs to be a peer review, but this comes from James Cook Uni who are on the cutting edge of Box Jelly research too.
The article you give the link to above is stated AFTER April but it doesn't seem to say WHEN the interview took place or make any reference to the new research...i think that what is needed now is research that balances too 2 problems against each other and a revised system of treatment is devised.
i doubt if protocols will change until then.
HOWEVER it puzzles me why the authorities who now claim=m to know the Box Jelly season, did not issue warnings earlier or don't start taking the simplest of all measures - laying out nets on popular beaches. It's been doe in Oz for years.
Other safety tips are to wear ladies tights (panty-hose) over your top and bottom half or invest in a rash suit.
Thai people as I said tend to swim in at least shirt and shorts so they at least limit the amount of flesh that is initially exposed.
If the link above doesn't work - CUT & PASTE it!
Edited by wilcopops