Using US$?

junglechef

any money exchange will change ur $ to whatever currency they have.

there are alot of exchangers around markets in PP (street 108 has many)

there is no dif in $ to riel in Cambodia for small bills as far as I know unlike Thailand where there is a dif.

I always buy small $ bills at the bank in Thailand as there cheaper

Thanks for your reply, phuketrichard. How about changing 1s and 5s, to be 50s and 100s (US to US)?

I have been traveling the past 10 days and flew out of Siem Reap. I can understand the impression that the USD rules. In Siem Reap literally all places quoted USD. However, the moment I pulled out that bundle of riels literally all places from street food to restaurants to market sellers, bakeries, the hotel, marts etc. gave me the 4000/1 equivalent.

In other words, it is very easy to come under the impression that it is USD in Siem Reap but it is not. It is a matter of convenience given the huge number of tourists who just run on USD. The use of riel by expats can easily make a difference of 300-500 USD or more (in case of a family household) per year. A nice little sum saved without the slightest reduction in the quality of services or products purchased.

Exchanging in Cambodia has another advantage mentioned earlier but worthwhile repeating it. One can convert any currency directly into the currency desired without first buying riel. In Thailand customers are forced to purchase bath first. this is an important advantage aside from the lower fees than Thailand.

Edited by mike2011

It is not in any way limited to tourists. Locals use USD too for larger dolar purchases/expenses, and thsoe with a salarty and usually paid in it.

But of course, for small expenses, people mostly use riel, it is more convenient and easier to provide the exact amount in (especially as there are no US coins in circulation).

any money exchange will change ur $ to whatever currency they have.

there are alot of exchangers around markets in PP (street 108 has many)

there is no dif in $ to riel in Cambodia for small bills as far as I know unlike Thailand where there is a dif.

I always buy small $ bills at the bank in Thailand as there cheaper

Thanks for your reply, phuketrichard. How about changing 1s and 5s, to be 50s and 100s (US to US)?

Sorry to interject here. I've rarely been to Cambodia and am spending my retirement in Thailand. Wouldn't places of business, shops, restaurants be interested in changing those low value $ notes for higher value ones. I would have thought small change would be required by most and highly sought after just like in Thailand where 7-11 often change all my coins into notes.

I know that change can and is often given in riel but spend $4 and hand over a $20 needs $16 change or a lot of Riels that the customer might not like especially towards the end of a trip. I've heard that small bills are less likely to be forgeries than big bills so beware. You could be handing over $$$ to end up with waste paper. But what do I know, just given my Thailand perspective.

Siem Reap was the one place on earth someone gave me a fake USD 1 bill. I had street food at the Vietnamese Pho place on the main street opposite from pub street. Last year I had just arrived in Cambodia late evening and paid with a larger USD bill. They needed to change in the supermarket or better convenience store (the place is in front of it). I was handed some singles and they were as usuall worn and old. It was dark and only the next day I noticed that one was a fake, yellowish paper. This was no accident on the part of the store owner who had given the bills to the waitress. Since then I always check in Siem Reap. Never happened in PP or SHV.

The money changers are pretty safe though. However, I would not change money at a changer who has covered his entire glass box with old bills. Such guys are sometimes scam artists and claim that you had given them a smaller bill. There is one such guy in SHV between Samudera supermarket and the market on the right hand side. Professional scammer. Easy to spot as he is the only one with such a setup of his place.

Edited by mike2011