Thailand's first river tunnel below Chao Phraya River is underway

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much negativity I agree.

If you know nothing about tunnel building, better you don't post. You only make yourself appear foolish.

I applaud the Government in investing in the countries infrastructure (rather than themselves) and would like to see more of the same please (as my profession is tunnel building).

• Like 2

"Manager of the Blue Line electric rail extension project Praphon Chanpradapfah said most of the tunneling will be through mostly sandy soil.

Most of the boring or tunneling that has been carried out in the country will encounter sandy soils and great care must be taken in the construction of the tunnel.

What you must understand is that what is critical is not soil pressure but the pressure of water that will be pressing on the tunnel, he said."

He obviously knows his subject well and he fills me with great confidence. He doesn't sound like he needs to ask a foreigner...

He asked a foreigner! He is actually quoting word for word from what the tunnel boring machine manufacturer told him.

who are the contractors?, not Thai I trust

has the mrt flooded at any time?

I thought the Germans did that? Thai has a hard time laying a pavement properly or resurfacing a rural road that will last six months

Six months, you are a bit generous there, It took 4 years to resurface the road between Aoluk and Pangna

I really do wonder about the Thai haters who post on this site.

They must have had a very bad experience with their ladyboy on their one visit here to have developed such a hate.

Experience does not equal 'hate' more like sceptical amusement.

And what would your experience with underground rail in Thailand be then ?

Perhaps with all the collapses and derailments of the BKK BTS, oh hang on there hasent been any.

They must have had a very bad experience with their ladyboy on their one visit here to have developed such a hate.

Try coming out of your ivory tower and spend a few weeks in industry and perhaps you may start to understand the apparent pessimism,derived from real life experience.

Having spent a fair part of my life in the building industry and 10 years in Thailand I have a pretty good idea of what I am seeing and experiencing and I can only put your so called 'apparent pessimism' down to either hate or ignorance.

I have chosen not to call others ignorant.

That doesn't only apply to this topic but to most others where negativity to Thailand and anything Thai is so prevalent.

• Like 1

knowing the safety standards of Thailand- good luck with this....

Relax, statistically you're more likely to die from a car accident in the tunnel than the tunnel collapsing.

Which would be the strangest accident ever....... dying of a car accident...... in a train tunnel?

Relax, statistically you're more likely to die from a car accident in the tunnel than the tunnel collapsing.

Which would be the strangest accident ever....... dying of a car accident...... in a train tunnel?

There was one instance of someone dying of a car accident on a ferry in Thailand, so anything's possible!

There seems to be a lack of faith in the ability of the Thai people to build a safe tunnel system. Tunnels built under rivers in America a hundred years ago with much more primitive tools and knowledge are still safely in use today. I'm sure the Thai can build a suitable and safe tunnel which only runs for 300 meters IF people are not skimming money off of the top to pay off politicians and the like.

1. I really hope that photo is not of the real rail line...... the rails are crooked.

2. Why are TWO UNDERGROUND stations created, passengers exit and go for swim or what?

3. I hope never to ride that tunnel. If soil moves around in BKK area, what will heaving and subsidence do to this loony tunnel?

Did anyone price comps on a nice bridge?

It's the "sandy soil" thing that worries me. Any tunnel builder will tell you bedrock is key. Having worked on the Channel Tunnel I know the work involved whether it is 200 yards or 20 miles long. Look at the amount of empty buildings in Bangkok unfit because of the insufficient piling carried out. It will be the same civil engineers working on the tunnel. Make up your own mind.

Sent from my C6603 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

has the mrt flooded at any time?

I thought the Germans did that? Thai has a hard time laying a pavement properly or resurfacing a rural road that will last six months

With due respect, I think the technology is up to it but by the time the tea money has been removed at every stage of the road surfacing contract there probably is not enough money left in the budget to do the job properly. I am sure that many of the things "we farangs" think are Thai incompetence when we see them are due to money shortages caused by corruption. Hopefully this will improve with the robber baroness gone & someone else in charge. A change of culture is desperately needed for the good of Thailand & all Thais. Oh, and for the good of the suspension on all farang vehicles, too.

wprime, on 26 Aug 2014 - 18:32, said:
Crazy chef 1, on 26 Aug 2014 - 18:30, said:

Really, mmm, I was under the understanding this tunnel was for trains, not cars, which means there's more chance of the tunnel collapsing than being killed by a car.

Boston faced many of the same problems when they did their big dig on The Ted Williams Tunnel and at many points the water did come in thanks to some problems with the contractors failing to maintain the quality of the concrete pouring. A follow up inspection found something like 400 serious leaks. The Massachusetts Attorney General demanded that the contractors refund taxpayers $108m for 'shoddy work'. So it will be interesting to see what happens with this albeit smaller project. My guess is that the project engineers will be all over it and that techniques are now much better. In London on an extension to the underground system at Heathrow a building collapsed into the ground as a result of the work going on underneath.

Quote "Thai haters who post on this site" ??? I would think that's OTT. comments are from past knowledge of oodles of projects etc., rail-road-construction quality it is the fear factor don't you see.

What the dickens has ladyboys got to do with posts ?? and do you think that posters have only had 1 visit ??? but all the same have you got a thing about ladyboys to single them out ??? girls boys are also known to give visitors bad experiences, nothing to do with hate.

So much negativity on here. A great engineering achievement and will be a major asset to this city. Congratulations to all involved.

Nice one Mick.

So much scare mongering and a total lack of knowledge of the industry is to blame.

Tunnel Construction using TBM and Precast RC Segment linings are reasonably standard in the industry, so as long as the supervision of the Project Contractor is sound (assessment of what is acceptable and what is not with regards to the contract) a tunnel built in Thailand is no different to those built in China - India - Malaysia.

Go for it Thailand!!

Well, seeing as it is a train tunnel, I guess you would be more likely to die if you were driving a car in the

tunnel.

tigermoth, on 27 Aug 2014 - 11:29, said:

The trains above ground derail almost regularly. What happens in a derail under water? whistling.gifrolleyes.gifwai2.gif

What a load of bullshit. I've been here since the city train system was built and have never heard of a derailment

I see no reference to only city trains, I read it as the Thai train network.

Pretty sure I went past some of this construction work the other week. The signage on the fencing around the sites states it's a joint Thai / Italian project

Edited by Absolut

Pretty sure I went past some of this construction work the other week. The signage on the fencing around the sites states it's a joint Thai / Italian project

The contractor for the tunnel as stated previously is CK. The contracts for the whole line are divided as follows;

BlueLinecontractmap.jpg

Contract 1: 2.8km underground from Hua Lamphong to Sanam Chai

(2 stations, Bt11.65 Billion, contractor ITD).<br />

Contract 2: 2.6km underground Sanam chai-Tha Phra

(2 stations, for Bt10.82B, contractor CK)

Contract 3: 11km elevated from Tao Poon-Tha Phra

(8 stations, Bt11.40B, contractor SH-Unique Joint venture)

Contract 4: 10.5km elevated Tha Phra-Lak Song

(7 stations, plus a park-and-ride venue and maintenance yard, Bt13.43B, contractor STEC)

Contract 5: rolling stock and systems, Bt5.17 Billion, contractor CK.

x34600720.jpg.pagespeed.ic.IJejHrmWJw.jp

Some background info, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page-6

You can also check the route and pics of tunneling on the MRTA website http://www.mrta-blueline.com

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 2