'Perfect storm' for Ebola to spread: virus pioneer

webfact

'Perfect storm' for Ebola to spread: virus pioneer
Agence France-Presse
PARIS

Peter Piot, the Belgian scientist who co-discovered the Ebola virus in 1976, on Tuesday said a "perfect storm" in West Africa had given the disease a chance to spread unchecked.

"We have never seen an (Ebola) epidemic on this scale," Piot was quoted by the French daily Liberation as saying.

"In the last six months, we have been witnessing what can be described as a ’perfect storm’ -- everything is there for it to snowball."

The epidemic "is exploding in countries where health services are not functioning, ravaged by decades of civil war," Piot said.

"In addition, the public is deeply suspicious of the authorities. Trust must be restored. Nothing can be done in an epidemic like Ebola if there is no trust."

Piot is former chief of the UN agency UNAids and now director of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, one of the world’s foremost centres of expertise on tropical disease.

In the interview, he also castigated "the extraordinary slowness" of international organisations in responding to the outbreak.

"The World Health Organization (WHO) only woke up in July," whereas the epidemic began in December last year and health experts sounded the alarm in early March, said Piot.

"There is now leadership but it is late," he said.

The epidemic has killed 1,427 people out of more than 2,600 known cases of infection, with doctors and nurses paying a particularly heavy price.

The epidemic is focussed on Liberia and Sierra Leone, which were wracked by conflict in the 1990s and the early part of the last decade, and on neighbouring Guinea.

Other cases have been recorded in Nigeria, whose north is hit by unrest, and in the Democratic Republic of Congo, whose east is in the grip of a decades-old conflict and where Ebola was first identified in 1976.

DRC Health Minister Felix Kabanga Numbi last Sunday said that the country’s seventh recorded Ebola outbreak had "no link to (the epidemic) in west Africa".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Perfect-storm-for-Ebola-to-spread-virus-pioneer-30241823.html

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-08-26

more garbage ..over 6 MILLION people live in the area of the outbreak with 1,500 cases ..its a yearly occurrence there and this is slightly above normal cases....but hey lets all panic and make it into the next world ending plaguecoffee1.gif

• Like 2

more garbage ..over 6 MILLION people live in the area of the outbreak with 1,500 cases ..its a yearly occurrence there and this is slightly above normal cases....but hey lets all panic and make it into the next world ending plaguecoffee1.gif

hmm wishing thinking. Even the WHO says the numbers of infected and dead are grossly underestimated.

According to the latest World Health Organization tally, the Ebola outbreak has killed 1,427 people of the 2,615 sickened. The U.N. health agency says that 240 health care workers have been infected with Ebola, calling that an unprecedented number. Half of those infected have died.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28755033

• Like 1

I don't particularly want to pish on his strawberries, but it seems our nurse who went off to Ebola Territory by choice, and without an invitation, and not surprisingly found himself infected, is having a hell of a lot more money and time spent on him than, say, a family in Thailand on holiday, who might get robbed on a train and contact the embassy for assistance.

Or do they badly want an Ebola guinea pig to practice on in London ready for the real thing?

Edited by Chicog

hmm wishing thinking. Even the WHO says the numbers of infected and dead are grossly underestimated.

According to the latest World Health Organization tally, the Ebola outbreak has killed 1,427 people of the 2,615 sickened. The U.N. health agency says that 240 health care workers have been infected with Ebola, calling that an unprecedented number. Half of those infected have died.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28755033

Your quote does not seem to reflect an under reporting of the numbers impacted in the OP.

Where are you getting the grossly under reported?

The article you link suggest initial over reporting that is later adjusted.

--------

Up to 20 August 1,427 people had been reported as having died from the disease in four countries; Liberia 624, Guinea 406, Sierra Leone 392 and Nigeria five.

. . .

The WHO has published updates on the spread of the virus in each of the countries affected.

The figures given are for "confirmed" deaths. They have occasionally been revised down to take account of changes in the countries' reporting methods, for example by excluding "suspected" cases that had previously been included.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28755033

I would no more believe statistics coming out of such grossly unorganized countries as these than to believe that it will snow a foot deep in Thailand this winter. All indications from non governmental sources that I have seen on non-major (controlled) news sites say the the official figures are under-rated and the problems are much worse. This from people on the ground there or medical experts in contact with those there. Do a google search if you want more info. But lets not panic the public in the interests of social stability and control. I'm am not a chicken little type person but this issue does concern me greatly.

• Like 2

I would no more believe statistics coming out of such grossly unorganized countries as these than to believe that it will snow a foot deep in Thailand this winter. All indications from non governmental sources that I have seen on non-major (controlled) news sites say the the official figures are under-rated and the problems are much worse. This from people on the ground there or medical experts in contact with those there. Do a google search if you want more info. But lets not panic the public in the interests of social stability and control. I'm am not a chicken little type person but this issue does concern me greatly.

nail on the head !clap2.gif

I don't particularly want to pish on his strawberries, but it seems our nurse who went off to Ebola Territory by choice, and without an invitation, and not surprisingly found himself infected, is having a hell of a lot more money and time spent on him than, say, a family in Thailand on holiday, who might get robbed on a train and contact the embassy for assistance.

Or do they badly want an Ebola guinea pig to practice on in London ready for the real thing?

It's what the TV call a 'human interest story' designed to make us feel good. Loads of footage of a large cargo plane landing in the dead of night and roads sealed off for a fleet of cops and an ambulance to rush through the streets of London. Reporters camped outside the hospital etc etc.

I wish the guy no ill and I'm glad he's being treated, but what happens if we get several more cases?.

Reminds me a bit of the young Pakistani (?) girl shot by the Taliban who was airlifted to the UK. Fortunately she has recovered.

However your point is valid, but remember the Americans did it first so we couldn't be seen as not being able to.

So it is an organized plot to keep us all in the dark until we die ripper.......

well I for one am going back to putting tin foil in my hat again.........there not going to read my thoughts with their microwaves....coffee1.gif

Baseline health foundation http://jonbarron.org/colds-flus-infectious-diseases/ebola-natural-remedies#.U_yZ3cp-uo8

The mainstream press was doing a pretty good job of reporting the facts and avoiding sensationalism. Any hysteria about Ebola was actually coming from a small number of alternative health websites. Unfortunately, things have changed. Much of the mainstream media has begun to abandon calmness and reason and decided, yet again, that there are better ratings to be found in scaring the bejeebers out of you. And as for that handful of alternative health websites that jumped on the Ebola outbreak when it first hit, well, they've decided to take their hysteria to apocalyptic levels. (We'll talk more about that in a bit.)
For those of you looking to cut to the chase and walk away with a quick sound bite, here it is. There's no reason for hysteria. The current outbreak of Ebola is highly unlikely to ever become a worldwide pandemic. If you live outside of Africa, and are not planning to visit an affected area in the near future, your chances of dying from Ebola are as close to zero as you can get--without actually being zero. You should be far more concerned about dying from lightning strikes (about 73 a year in the US), traffic accidents (about 33,000 fatalities a year), gun shots (30,000), and alcohol abuse (100,000). To put that in perspective: the number of people who have died from Ebola contracted outside of Africa, in the entire history of mankind is zero. To date, no case of Ebola in humans has ever been contracted in the United States. Note: in 1989, there was an outbreak in Reston Virginia, but that was not among people. Research monkeys that were brought to Reston had the disease. They got sick and died. None of the people who worked with the monkeys so much as got sick, let alone died.

So again, those of you looking for the short and sweet on this current Ebola outbreak: that was it.

mmmmmmmmm. should we listen to Peter Piot or listen to you……………………?unsure.png

No one has to listen to me as I am not a health professional or onsite to know first hand. All I did was state my opinion, end of story. Don't know why anyone else has to make a bigger issue out of it. Jeszzz, what ever happened to free speech.?

Sanuk711, you have your point of view and I have mine. But your lowering the discussion to trivializing my concerns to tin foil plots and other issues having nothing to do with the issue demeans your arguments. It shows a complete disregard for other peoples points of views via negative personal attacks.--ripper

If you feel I am doing that----- Then my apologies ripper.......sad.png

• Like 1

Sanuk711, you have your point of view and I have mine. But your lowering the discussion to trivializing my concerns to tin foil plots and other issues having nothing to do with the issue demeans your arguments. It shows a complete disregard for other peoples points of views via negative personal attacks.--ripper

If you feel I am doing that----- Then my apologies ripper.......sad.png

I may have misconstrued your remarks, so my apologies back at you.

• Like 1

In the 80s it was Nuclear War

In the 90s it was HIV

In the 00s it was SARs

In the 10s It is Ebola

Please excuse me for not running to my bunker just yet!

actually, it's more about not trusting what the governments are going to say (based on their track record to date on many other issues) rather than how easy or otherwise is to catch the disease or how far it will spread. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

The thing that worries me the most about this is the possibility of Muslim terrorists finding a way to make use of it.

Wishful thinking as it's about as serious as a boil on my bum in the grand scheme of things.

Think Spanish Flu and you're getting somewhere in epidemics / pandemics.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Thai roads/drivers have probably killed more people since this new outbreak.

Not seen or heard of any quarantine there.coffee1.gif

How many have been killed by MRSA in this time?

In Thailand not as many as the UK.

Precisely. MRSA is only different to Ebola in that it actually kills many more people. But we're used to it.

My point was to quarantine the Thai drivers of any road vehicle over 50cc. They have killed way more people than Ebola and MRSA put together.

They are infected with something to drive the way they do.

Have a look at how many are killed by MRSA each year. It's surprising.

The thing that worries me the most about this is the possibility of Muslim terrorists finding a way to make use of it.

Wishful thinking as it's about as serious as a boil on my bum in the grand scheme of things.

Think Spanish Flu and you're getting somewhere in epidemics / pandemics.

The Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of only abou 2.5%. While much higher than other flu strains (on the order of 0.1%), that's nowhere near Ebola's mortaility rate (for the current outbreak) of nearly 55%! Up to 90% among the untreated! It's only the very low rate of transmisson (which is several orders of magnitude higher for influenza) that's holding down the current death toll. 'Just don't want to go down this road any futher...

Edited by hawker9000

In the 80s it was Nuclear War

In the 90s it was HIV

In the 00s it was SARs

In the 10s It is Ebola

Please excuse me for not running to my bunker just yet!

actually, it's more about not trusting what the governments are going to say (based on their track record to date on many other issues) rather than how easy or otherwise is to catch the disease or how far it will spread. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

To: AnotherOneAmerican

I understand what your point is, but for people who have been on the receiving end of any of these diseases - your view is not so easily dismissed. There was no nuclear war in the 80's - was there.

Your point is about people being alarmists, paranoid etc etc.

HIV was real and still is. SARs. It was real. I was one who actually contracted it by way of a flight from Hong Kong to LA in 2003. (yes, one of those confirmed cases).

So, - I for one had a first hand experience of how easy these 'nasty diseases' - can actually be transmitted.

From that experience and the intense memories of what I went through, - I just pray that Ebola does not move into the international arena.

People always seem to think, - "it can only happen to other people". I say bullsh....

No one is saying 'run to your bunker', - but get real and be aware what is potentially a big problem if it is not contained.

Personally, I agree the comments of Asiantravel (above).

• Like 2

the scary thing about the western world, is that many diseases that were eradicated true vaccination, is getting a way back "thanks" to import of no education 3rd world economical refugees that heard that in the west, once you arrive there, you get everything for free and the stupid locals works and pays for it all

Does anyone see any correlation between this disease still being out of control with an increase in the number of leading financial commentators expecting another major stock-market correction worse even than 2008 ?

I can't think of any other example of a major disease outbreak occurring simultaneously with global financial turbulence.

(Reuters) - The worst ever Ebola outbreak is causing enormous damage to West African economies as foreign businessmen quit the region, the African Development Bank said, while a leading medical charity branded the international response "entirely inadequate."

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/08/27/us-health-ebola-idINKBN0GQ17920140827

Edited by Asiantravel