Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

Why not take a look and study same in western countries before putting into effect such harsh and unenforcable laws. How about farangs arriving at the airport wearing a heineken t-shirt. Sorry sir, you have to take off your shirt.

There are beer pants, socks and skivvies. It might get quite interesting in customs.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wonder when they gonna ban fun as a whole? This country is turning into a hyper-conservative, puritan, boring copy of a typical muslim country under Sharia law, but with a buddhist touch... Never felt as uneasy and tense here than over the past year." I've had a bad feeling about the future for us farangs after listening to the general's first speeches, all about morals, his version of morals. Yea, I think the general has always had in mind to ban farang style "fun". Thai morals, Thai culture, Thai happiness, Thailand for Thais, his version. About "prohibition" there was once a country called America (now the Corporate Police State of Amerika) that tried prohibition. How did that work out? Oh yea, and that "war on drugs" how's that working out?

It's working out how the police wants it to work. Point a gun in your face and telling you to protest in a designated area so not to inconvenience them. The only problem is when mouths are silence guns talk.

Wonder when they gonna ban fun as a whole? This country is turning into a hyper-conservative, puritan, boring copy of a typical muslim country under Sharia law, but with a buddhist touch... Never felt as uneasy and tense here than over the past year. It looked great first when Suthep was stopped in his tracks, farmers got payed, mafia-alike structures were dismantled, etc. but then priorities changed to first attack the foreign tourism, foreign investment and expat sector, then a beach cleanup pushing thousands of Thai vendors into oblivion without options and now it seems like fun in general is next, instead of tackling the biggest problem that could bring Thailand to its knees which is the unrest and bombings in the deep south. I thought Thailand was under military leadership? Why is nothing done to eliminate the radical subjects in Yala, Narathiwat, etc.? Priorities in Thailand by now are so out of tune that it hurts in the ears of anyone who still can think straight. Getting really angry, need to stop... sorry sad.png

It depends on who is defining the word 'fun.' If it's you or me, it doesn't matter. If the person defining 'fun' is in charge of the most guns and the country itself, then he's the one who's going to set the rules. There's: his way or the hwy.

Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

• No more "beer girls"
  • Health warnings on all alcohol products
  • No old bottles of wines or beer can be used to decorate a business
  • No happy hours promotions
  • Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal
  • No alcohol logos are allowed on glasses, ashtrays and other paraphernalia
  • Punishments of up to six months in jail for various offences
  • All promotion of alcoholic consumption is illegal
CHIANG MAI: -- The Government has warned that it intends to enforce harsh measures regulating the advertising and promotion of alcohol, in a move that will affect thousands of businesses throughout the country.

An example of an acceptable alcohol advertisement, showing a health warning at the top and a picture of people engaging in a 'socially responsible' activity - in this case, meditation. The orange box in the bottom left corner is where the alcohol brand's logo would be displayed.

Details of the law, which is vague and open to interpretation, are provided below. The following guidelines were given to CityNews along with around 30 hoteliers and members of the media who were invited to a meeting at the Tarin Hotel yesterday [Monday August 25, 2014] by the Chiang Mai Provincial Public Health Office. The aim of the meeting was to clarify the nuances of the law and give warning as to their immediate enforcement.

"I am only here to help you, the media and relevant businesses to understand the law," said Second Lieutenant Taweesak Jintajiranan. "This law was put into effect due to the rapidly growing costs of alcohol to this nation. Alcohol-related accidents have increased significantly in recent years. While the government makes 70 billion baht income per year from alcohol tax, the cost to the government is upwards of 150 billion baht."

He went on to expand on the written law as follows:

Under the newly enforced rules all alcohol products must carry health warnings, sales are banned to anyone under the age of 20, and initiatives promoting alcohol – such as happy hours, free ice and mixers, and the use of ‘beer girls’ – are banned.

No drinking is allowed after midnight in bars or restaurants, even though sales have ended; no alcohol logos are allowed on glasses, ashtrays and other paraphernalia; and bars will not be allowed to display posters or bottles – even old ones – featuring such logos.

Bar staff cannot wear T-shirts with alcohol logos, and it is illegal to promote events such as wine and beer tastings. Alcohol logos - or even images accepted as representative of brands, such as a deer head for Benmore or red stars for Heineken - are not allowed to be displayed in sponsorship or any kind of advertising or promotion.

Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal, so if a waiter is asked to recommend a particular brand of beer he would be breaking the law if he responds. All printed photographs of glasses or bottles in the media must have visible brands and logos blurred.

Officials have also vowed to strictly enforce laws on alcohol advertising. This is expected to have a big effect on media businesses like Citylife, CityNow! and Spoon & Fork, which rely heavily on advertising by hotels and entertainment venues.

The authorities are using an existing law, the Alcohol Control Act of 2008, to crack down. It was introduced with the aim of reducing consumption, but while some aspects have been in effect for years there are many minor points which, until now, have been ignored by authorities.

A 70-page Thai-language handbook - a must-read for anyone working in the alcohol industry and related fields - was distributed at the meeting.

Essentially all promotion of alcohol is now illegal. Here is a breakdown of the laws, some of which were already being enforced but from now on will be universally enforced nationwide.

For producers and importers of alcohol:

- All alcoholic drinks packaging must carry a clear and government-approved health warning (see example above), and a list of ingredients. It must be stated clearly on the packaging that this is an alcoholic beverage.

- Consumers cannot drink in the following areas: temples or religious places (unless alcohol is used in religious ceremonies), public spaces belonging to the government (except for private residences within said area), government buildings (apart from club houses, special designated areas for commerce and private residences, or during special events), within education centres (apart from residences, parties or clubs, or if the education centre is teaching how to mix alcohol), petrol or gas stations, public parks, and anywhere else the government announces at any date.

- Alcohol cannot be sold on the Makhabucha, Visakabucha, Asarahabucha and Khao Pansa religious holidays, except from in hotels in order to promote tourism and stimulate the economy.

- No sales are allowed to anyone aged under 20 years, or anyone who is obviously drunk.

- No sales of alcoholic beverages are allowed by automated machines, non-location-specific sales are banned (ie. no mobile bars or wandering around selling), and no promotions, offering rights, points, lucky draws or awards and no freebies of any kind including swaps and exchanges are allowed.

Advertising

- No images of alcoholic drinks, including photography, and logos in any language which “invite” the public to drink alcohol are allowed. Continues here:

Source and full story: City News Chiang Mai

No more Happy Hours?

I thought Happiness was one of their key objectives?

So how can we find out when its Happy Hours when the staff are not allowed to talk about it and no signs ?

Just saw 4 beer girls in uniform at tesco, near raum chok. No police showed up and nobody bothered to say anything to them about breaking the law.laugh.png

As noted previously in this thread, most of the rules spelled out in the Chiang Mai announcement relating to limits of alcohol promotion and advertising were already enacted in a Thai law back in 2008... But apparently, have been widely ignored by pretty much everyone everywhere ever since then, certainly in terms of activity by bars, restaurants and other retailers.

So I guess the key question is, this time around, will anything be any different???

Out and around BKK today, I saw absolutely no sign that anything different was occurring regarding alcohol sales.

• Like 1

Just saw 4 beer girls in uniform at tesco, near raum chok. No police showed up and nobody bothered to say anything to them about breaking the law.laugh.png

As noted previously in this thread, most of the rules spelled out in the Chiang Mai announcement relating to limits of alcohol promotion and advertising were already enacted in a Thai law back in 2008... But apparently, have been widely ignored by pretty much everyone everywhere ever since then, certainly in terms of activity by bars, restaurants and other retailers.

So I guess the key question is, this time around, will anything be any different???

Out and around BKK today, I saw absolutely no sign that anything different was occurring regarding alcohol sales.

Exactly.

To all those who claim Thailand is not a "nanny state," how do ya like them apples?

The key difference is that nanny states actually enforce said laws....don;t expect any long term enforcement. Expect more 'crackdowns', when the cookie jar is running low. It's the only reason this country has laws - to shake down folks who have either forgotten laws or ignore them.

Edited by culicine

Well this will look great in Europe and other countries that like to come here for holidays and enjoy,have fun and party. This will for sure remove the smile on may Thais that will be out of a job. But hey, when did goverments in this country ever care for anyone but them self.

When did Governments in ANY country care about anyone but them selves!!

Why do 90% of the responses assume this report is even true? Has it appeared in reasonably reputable news source - either national or local? I don't see anything about this in The Nation, BKK Post, Khaosod, any other local news outlet, etc. The only place I see this information repeated is on discussion forums regurgitating the Chiang Mai City News article.

This would be pretty big news if true, yet nothing about it anywhere else? Just the no alcohol after midnight bit would effect thousands of establishments throughout the entire Kingdom, which one would think would be worthy of at least a blurb in one of the national papers.

So why the assumption by so many that this is actually true? Is there any "immediate" enforcement of this? Has any bar owner been told this is now going into effect? Do we have ANY other evidence other than this article in the Chiang Mai City News that these news policies/laws are going to happen?

I noticed that this announcement was purportedly made by a Second Lieutenant.

I cannot imagine that any major policy change would:

a - be announced in Chiangmai, and

b - be given by such a low-ranking officer.

I think it is more of a late April fool prank than any serious issue.

Well now, I read all 22 pages(533 posts) and have been some what educated on the merits of an announcement that almost no one agrees with. Some are calling it conservative others are calling it liberal and most of you are just commenting on it. My thing is to wait and see and no matter what the outcome it will not affect me very much. I have all but stop drinking and only have a beer occasionally, my wife threatens me all the time that she will do me great bodily harm if I go to any bar girl bars. So being a lot liberal and sometime conservative I find all the comments interesting and troubling, so will not respond to any of them. I guess my point is if this does happen it will not change one thing that I do here and am prepared to go with the flow. But want to thank all for your words and wit on this matter, it did set off a firestorm that may or may not be a good thing. I am forever the optimist.

About time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

Moderation in all things and all things in moderation.

People have the right to exercise free will, without too much interference from the state.

If I fully understand the "spirit" of this new crackdown. One can't go anymore to church ("this is my body, this is my blood") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharist

tongue.png

burp.gifAbout time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

Praise the lord burp.gif speaking of him, was not his first miracle turning water into wine, now there was a man you could have followed!

Tax free wine. Nice to have him around for all those Thai holidays, when you cannot buy alcohol. He sure had his priorities straight. Crikey, out of alcohol..!!! Wait, I think I can do this...

How else will they reduce the road deaths and accidents?The police either don't do their job or there are not the laws for them to enforce.

There is a law for helmets, but the whole thing is treated as a joke. 100 baht 'fines' which I'm sure the Thai Govt never sees, and after 9pm, no one wears a helmet.

Get the police to do their job and that's half the battle. Testing blood alcohol levels and having realistic fines or sentences has to be done to reduce the deaths.

• Like 1

Why do 90% of the responses assume this report is even true? Has it appeared in reasonably reputable news source - either national or local? I don't see anything about this in The Nation, BKK Post, Khaosod, any other local news outlet, etc. The only place I see this information repeated is on discussion forums regurgitating the Chiang Mai City News article.

This would be pretty big news if true, yet nothing about it anywhere else? Just the no alcohol after midnight bit would effect thousands of establishments throughout the entire Kingdom, which one would think would be worthy of at least a blurb in one of the national papers.

So why the assumption by so many that this is actually true? Is there any "immediate" enforcement of this? Has any bar owner been told this is now going into effect? Do we have ANY other evidence other than this article in the Chiang Mai City News that these news policies/laws are going to happen?

You are rite what reputable news source has printed this. The Chiang Mai City News prints these sort of things after they have been released to the Larger papers in Bangkok.thumbsup.gif

Face facts. The average Thai civil servant or even their elected officials do not have the slightest interest in, or knowledge of economics. They don't understand the rather obvious connection between laws and the influx of cash. When business is bad, prices are hiked. When business is good, every effort is made to insure that less business will be done.

• Like 1

I asked the same exact question to the Chiang Mai Times and they said.......Pim Kemasingki · Top Commenter · Owner at Trisila Company Limited

'Nope. Not anti junta journo. Just telling you what we were told. It is unclear because frankly the whole issue is unclear. The official seemed a bit overwhelmed when we called numerous times after meeting for verification'
here is the link to the news 'story'