Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly good for the old codgers here (self included). Bars that close at 2am don't liven up till midnight. Can't stay up that long anymore. If they shut at midnight they may liven up at 10pm? Still way past my bedtime.

• Like 1

I find it curious that apart from some insignificant Chiang Mai rag, this report that evokes so much emotion is only being carried by ThaiVisa. The normally reliable Bangkok Post has not touched it neither has ThaiVisa's mate, The Nation from where they usually lift their news items

Could this be nothing more than a cynical marketing ploy and alcoholic scaremongering by the owners of this forum, who clearly know the mentality of many of it's members, to enhance their advertising revenue by virtue of more hits to their website?

"George" is probably watching this thread in delight at the number of banal (but potentially lucrative), misunderstood comments that are being made.

I don't suppose my post will be allowed to remain here for very long!

Now you're getting it ... it's far more profitable to post "rumors" rather than "facts" ... page hits go through the roof (and consequently advertising revenue) when there's some controversy, true or not.

Just look at the pages of replies you see on the "I thought my gf/wife loved me, but she's only after my money" threads ...

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who checked for a "Not the Nation" tag after reading halfway through!

Through my alcohol induced haze sitting in a bar at Nana at 0100 this morning trying to read Thaivisa on my phone I misread the new rules and thought they said no more bar girls. Now that would really hurt the economy!

Well, boo-hoo.

Whoever thought a military solution to the country's political differences wouldn't lead to this sort of thing was an idiot.

Get ready.

There's a lot more of this coming.

A bit harsh though to call anyone an idiot who thought things were looking up after the coup, but I fear you are correct saying that more of this will be coming. Problem in my opinion is the erratic/aggressive sequence of priorities. Feels like they want to paint the house before the walls are up...

• Like 1

Through my alcohol induced haze sitting in a bar at Nana at 0100 this morning trying to read Thaivisa on my phone I misread the new rules and thought they said no more bar girls. Now that would really hurt the economy!

Please, stop giving them ideas!!!! :(

Well, boo-hoo.

Whoever thought a military solution to the country's political differences wouldn't lead to this sort of thing was an idiot.

Get ready.

There's a lot more of this coming.

A bit harsh though to call anyone an idiot who thought things were looking up after the coup, but I fear you are correct saying that more of this will be coming. Problem in my opinion is the erratic/aggressive sequence of priorities. Feels like they want to paint the house before the walls are up...

As far as I understand it, reading the OP there has not been a statement about this from the "Junta"

Wonder when they gonna ban fun as a whole? This country is turning into a hyper-conservative, puritan, boring copy of a typical muslim country under Sharia law, but with a buddhist touch... Never felt as uneasy and tense here than over the past year. It looked great first when Suthep was stopped in his tracks, farmers got payed, mafia-alike structures were dismantled, etc. but then priorities changed to first attack the foreign tourism, foreign investment and expat sector, then a beach cleanup pushing thousands of Thai vendors into oblivion without options and now it seems like fun in general is next, instead of tackling the biggest problem that could bring Thailand to its knees which is the unrest and bombings in the deep south. I thought Thailand was under military leadership? Why is nothing done to eliminate the radical subjects in Yala, Narathiwat, etc.? Priorities in Thailand by now are so out of tune that it hurts in the ears of anyone who still can think straight. Getting really angry, need to stop... sorry sad.png

I must agree with you.
Is this the reform process to bring back peace, unity and happyness?

"Wonder when they gonna ban fun as a whole? This country is turning into a hyper-conservative, puritan, boring copy of a typical muslim country under Sharia law, but with a buddhist touch... Never felt as uneasy and tense here than over the past year." I've had a bad feeling about the future for us farangs after listening to the general's first speeches, all about morals, his version of morals. Yea, I think the general has always had in mind to ban farang style "fun". Thai morals, Thai culture, Thai happiness, Thailand for Thais, his version. About "prohibition" there was once a country called America (now the Corporate Police State of Amerika) that tried prohibition. How did that work out? Oh yea, and that "war on drugs" how's that working out?

Tawan Daeng in CM was going strong at 2am. In fact, it does not really even get packed until midnight. The tourist bars were locking up even before midnight. You just need to know the right places.

went there friday night and near impossible to get a table,and that place is not big, its huge its like a converted old cinema,

It's a health hazard to your ears, that's what it is! I stuffed both ears with tissue on my last visit to the one in Bangkok, and that just brought the volume level down to a "reasonable" level!

Yes, before you ask, I did take my Zimmer frame...... But seriously folks, this place will seriously damage your ears, next time I'm taking a decibel reading, I'm guessing over 120db!

Edited by cyborgx

"Wonder when they gonna ban fun as a whole? This country is turning into a hyper-conservative, puritan, boring copy of a typical muslim country under Sharia law, but with a buddhist touch... Never felt as uneasy and tense here than over the past year." I've had a bad feeling about the future for us farangs after listening to the general's first speeches, all about morals, his version of morals. Yea, I think the general has always had in mind to ban farang style "fun". Thai morals, Thai culture, Thai happiness, Thailand for Thais, his version. About "prohibition" there was once a country called America (now the Corporate Police State of Amerika) that tried prohibition. How did that work out? Oh yea, and that "war on drugs" how's that working out?

Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

At first I was shocked and couldn't believe it. Then I calmed myself down and re-read the text on the website. It actually doesn't look that bad. It is basically just removing alcohol advertising.

This will not really effect the common person. You will see less advertisements for alcohol. You will not see the beer girls or staff wearing beer tshirts. You will not see Singha logos on team uniforms. Really, that's about it. There will still be happy hours, you just won't see signs advertising happy hours. You can still wear your Chang tank top (unless you work at a bar/restaurant). You can still buy alcohol at nearly everywhere that you used to (except for those sidwalk bars that spring up at 1am). The only thing that looks worrisome, is no alcohol consumption after midnight at bars or restaurants.

I don't see how your last sentence looks worrisome, have your last meal at ten instead of midnight. Anyway, do most people not have supper at night rather than a meal?

I thought most meal times were around five or six pm.

At first I was shocked and couldn't believe it. Then I calmed myself down and re-read the text on the website. It actually doesn't look that bad. It is basically just removing alcohol advertising.

This will not really effect the common person. You will see less advertisements for alcohol. You will not see the beer girls or staff wearing beer tshirts. You will not see Singha logos on team uniforms. Really, that's about it. There will still be happy hours, you just won't see signs advertising happy hours. You can still wear your Chang tank top (unless you work at a bar/restaurant). You can still buy alcohol at nearly everywhere that you used to (except for those sidwalk bars that spring up at 1am). The only thing that looks worrisome, is no alcohol consumption after midnight at bars or restaurants.

I don't see how your last sentence looks worrisome, have your last meal at ten instead of midnight. Anyway, do most people not have supper at night rather than a meal?

I thought most meal times were around five or six pm.

next crackdown..

Thai Love Links

Thai Friendly

From the comments section of the article:

"Not anti junta journo. Just telling you what we were told. It is unclear because frankly the whole issue is unclear. The official seemed a bit overwhelmed when we called numerous times after meeting for verification."

Sounds like Thailand is looking to move to a similar licensing hours model to the one we used to have in the UK which just encourages more people to be in the bar at the same time, drink faster & empty out onto the streets at the same time.

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

From the comments section of the article:

"Not anti junta journo. Just telling you what we were told. It is unclear because frankly the whole issue is unclear. The official seemed a bit overwhelmed when we called numerous times after meeting for verification."

One or two officials seem to have been moved from office for not enforcing certain rules and regulations. Suspect statement is purely an a#s covering operation.

• Like 1

George has a hit here with a thread with +430 replies overnight.

One would almost think that there are a few alcoholics among TV members biggrin.png

Intentional perhaps. All us oldtimers know nothing will change. Same as the visa scaremongering; nothing will change.

The same things were happening when I moved here in 1986. Only difference we had lives then and no forums to listen to the guy just off the boat thinking he knows what's best for the Thai government.

• Like 2

The people that I feel sorry for are Thai Visa readers with high blood pressure. Every time a low level local official says something, authorized or not, the sky is falling crowd goes up against aging ban all noise group. We need to wait a few more minutes or hours for the "clarification" or retraction. Again, a junior official in Chiang Mai does NOT frame national policy. Ever!

Someone suggested consolidation of the three nightlife tourist areas in Bangkok to Bang Na. My friend Ralf came up with the idea to use the empty Makkasan City Air Terminal. Plenty of room to roll in Nana, Soi Cowboy and Patpong. Parking and mass transit available. Just saying...

• Like 1

3 words.

Not

Gonna

Happen

As soon as the Thai-Chinese mafia families that run the breweries here get wind of this, some quiet words will be said in some shell-likes and it'll be forgotten about.

As mentioned in post 448 this is only an opinion from an Official in Chiang Mai. Is Chiang Mai now considered the seat of rule?

3 words.

Not

Gonna

Happen

As soon as the Thai-Chinese mafia families that run the breweries here get wind of this, some quiet words will be said in some shell-likes and it'll be forgotten about.

Unless the junta has determined that those same families are responsible for all the accidents and ruined lives and decided to nationalize them

If they don't crack down on Lao Khao, they're whistling in the wind.....

correct.

the new law is totally over the top, and it won't curb alcoholism, because they mostly drink the cheap illegal stuff anyway.

I expect them to backpedal on this.

Let's hope we don't see more of such nanny state laws.