Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just was thinking.

If they publish all these new rules and hold meetings, but things stay the same (which they have)...

That might lead to confusion on other new rules...(Some may be more serious in nature).

Plenty of beer girls at Tesco still. I don't see any changes yet. Many Thai Bars and Coyote bars still remaining open past 2pm...especially here in Chiang Mai. Loi Kroh farang bars still close a few minutes before 12. Only been there twice in 2 months. Not really interesting, anyhow. I am thinking of just waiting for cheap flights to Bangkok, get a hotel for 2 nights, and heading down there for entertainment once a month. Much happier happy hours.

Is there a timeline when these new changes are effective?

not a single one at my tesco ,never had

One of the problem is they don't really have any good officials to advise them. Many moons ago I had to deal with TAT at both a national and local level as part of my job and they were universally useless, and appointed by corrupt networks into their non jobs. The military are probably flying blind on a lot of their policy announcements. It takes a long time to make an organic, evolved ,successful tourism environment but nowhere near as long to wreck it.

One of the problem is they don't really have any good officials to advise them. Many moons ago I had to deal with TAT at both a national and local level as part of my job and they were universally useless, and appointed by corrupt networks into their non jobs. The military are probably flying blind on a lot of their policy announcements. It takes a long time to make an organic, evolved ,successful tourism environment but nowhere near as long to wreck it.

I can see that. We have had a lot of visitors over the years, both male and female, and all of them have been impressed when we finished our grocery shopping at Big C to have lunch and a beer in the beer court. Not having to pour your own beer but rather have the attention of attractive help is definitely a tourist incentive!

Not sure if that is good or not. I've perceived the good general "digging in his heels" when other countries speak about the current situation.

I'm sure TAT will now up the tourist numbers since the "word" is out and many "quality" tourists will be buying tickets to the almost dry Kingdom. I can see the flocks of southern baptist winging their way over to enjoy the godless sites of the heathen world and bring the natives to salvation. Pardon me, time for another Singha Lite.

Thats the thing though they are not drying up the Kingdom just throwing out the trash

"Good thing" i reckon.....

Right, they're just throwing out the people who enjoy a drink and a pretty lady. That probably isn't more than half the country.

If this had happened on Yingluck's watch TV would be in meltdown. Oh wait a minute...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You post the same words in 3 different topics (maybe more ) are you a broken record or what ???blink.png

We all condemn Thailand for being the second worst country for road accidents. This is a huge problem and alcohol is a major factor. We may not like to stop drinking and going home at midnight but this is going to decrease drunk driving accidents. It is going to decrease fights and other drinking related problems. It is going to perhaps also save a few brain cells in the youth of Thailand. It is going to save lives !

This country has been out of control for too long. Perhaps now is the time to clean it up once and for

Not sure how you posted this three times.

He was pissed

• Like 1

Interesting article in the Bangkok Post from the new acting police chief that he wants all prostitution completely gone in Pattaya.

I think he is referring to street walkers.

The article seems to focus on cleaning up the beach chair/vendor issues and the disproportionate number of ladyboy prostitutes working on the streets rather than a bar environment.

Stroll on, we'll be asking when we can poo next! Regarding advertising, banning this and that will not do a f'king thing but increase the likelihood of people wanting it. If you want to curtail alcohol consumption you need to ban it, pure and simple, but if you go down that road you end up in not-happy-people territory. Tread carefully with the rules, Thai powers that be, you are creating nanny state.

Interesting article in the Bangkok Post from the new acting police chief that he wants all prostitution completely gone in Pattaya.

The article seems to focus on cleaning up the beach chair/vendor issues and the disproportionate number of ladyboy prostitutes working on the streets rather than a bar environment.

Possible but the police chief said: Eradicate prostitution completely in Pattaya. They want to make it in a family orientated destination. To reform the police they may have to take the business away from the BIB and possible come up with some plans and relocate the whole operation away from Pattaya in the middle of nowhere which still would be ok I guess.

Edited by MobileContent

Possible but the police chief said: Eradicate prostitution completely in Pattaya. They want to make it in a family orientated destination. To reform the police they may have to take the business away from the BIB and possible come up with some plans and relocate the whole operation away from Pattaya in the middle of nowhere which still would be ok I guess.

Relocate it? I think they want to eradicate it from the country. Whether they succeed is another matter but it is goodbye gogos.

• Like 1

If this had happened on Yingluck's watch TV would be in meltdown. Oh wait a minute...

You post the same words in 3 different topics (maybe more ) are you a broken record or what ???blink.png

Don't worry the good general has only just started. There's a lot more to come and we won't recognise the "new" Thailand.

What is REALLY absurd about these "crackdowns" is that they adversely affect the livelihoods of those who work in these businesses. With an economy teetering on the edge of depression, military men with no grounding in economics should NOT be tinkering with the business sector. It's the old tendency to "take action" just for the hell of it, so it will appear that action is being taken. A bit like President Gerald Ford's ridiculous "WIN" buttons, which stood for Whip Inflation Now". The net effect was to INCREASE inflation by printing up millions of useless buttons. When Thai people have enough jobs for anyone who wants one, that's when the economy is at its best.

What is REALLY absurd about these "crackdowns" is that they adversely affect the livelihoods of those who work in these businesses. With an economy teetering on the edge of depression, military men with no grounding in economics should NOT be tinkering with the business sector. It's the old tendency to "take action" just for the hell of it, so it will appear that action is being taken. A bit like President Gerald Ford's ridiculous "WIN" buttons, which stood for Whip Inflation Now". The net effect was to INCREASE inflation by printing up millions of useless buttons. When Thai people have enough jobs for anyone who wants one, that's when the economy is at its best.

Don't worry when it all comes crashing down and people are akint it will all come back like the ex gf you thought you would never be sleeping with again.