Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

Talk about dumb laws,this country is getting good at that.

NCPO: Enforcing existing laws that where ignored.

Ever single thing that has gone down over the past few months has been upholding

existing laws.

"Good on them"

They are not stoping me from having a drink, all they are enforcing is existing laws

to clean up a filthy situation.

When i am in Thailand 6 months every year i do so legaly.

What the NCPO is doing is enforcing Thai law on the Thai people that have been

flawnting there own law for years.

I do not care what the NCPO does to the Thai people if the cant live within the boundry

of Thai law...

Agreed they just seem to be enforcing existing laws, but there's a big difference between laws that clearly define who can get what type of Visa and why, being enforced to stop long term residents masquerading as Tourists, as opposed to enforcing alcohol laws that prevent normal commercial practices such as advertising, time related discounts (Happy Hour), dictate even what is allowed as decor, and even makes product promotion and promotional events illegal....

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if somebody drinks or not. I do care if they try to impose their beliefs on me, care a lot. Not crass, true. The man wants alcohol venues shut down. If you don't drink your business, I'm not going to force a drink down your throat, don't try to "dry me out".

• Like 2

The following cursing in public is from now onwards forbidden: " you stupid Heineken" " you ugly Leo" " sun of a Sing sipping drunk" by posting this I risk a lot, please don't jail me Mister Chang Ocha....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I like that stella ing people off ha ha

I bumped into a Leo last night and smashed a Chang on him

Then got jumped by a load of tigers silly budwisers

Are we aloud to call bar girls, bar girls without promoting bars that sell drinks ha ha

Edited by BigC

I don't care if somebody drinks or not. I do care if they try to impose their beliefs on me, care a lot. Not crass, true. The man wants alcohol venues shut down. If you don't drink your business, I'm not going to force a drink down your throat, don't try to "dry me out".

Who is trying to dry you out?

Still nothing in the BKK Post about this. My guess is that this is the brainchild of some local CM warlord feeling his oats. Either that or a trial balloon to gauge the uproar if this asinine idea was actually implemented.

It really is too absurd to give much credence. We'll see.

I ran into a Thai friend today that has run restaurants along the Canal Road in Chiang Mai where there are always a lot of, er, "promotions" going on and serving beer. He had not heard of the changes and thought it was impossible that it could ever change as it is established Thai dining culture.

Yea, people that post it is good to shut down alcohol venues. I like to drink, I don't like to get drunk, I like the bar girls, I like the bar scene, most of the time. I had a charge account at the Shady Rest Motel and Bar when I was 15 years old "across the river" in Louisiana. I'm 69 and still good to go. I have an 'intense dislike' for those that wish to impose their beliefs on me or anybody else. I don't tell people how to live their lives, don't dare tell me.

• Like 1

Yea, people that post it is good to shut down alcohol venues. I like to drink, I don't like to get drunk, I like the bar girls, I like the bar scene, most of the time. I had a charge account at the Shady Rest Motel and Bar when I was 15 years old "across the river" in Louisiana. I'm 69 and still good to go. I have an 'intense dislike' for those that wish to impose their beliefs on me or anybody else. I don't tell people how to live their lives, don't dare tell me.

Still good to go? Please elaborate. Not questioning your virility.

Through my alcohol induced haze sitting in a bar at Nana at 0100 this morning trying to read Thaivisa on my phone I misread the new rules and thought they said no more bar girls. Now that would really hurt the economy!

Please, stop giving them ideas!!!! sad.png

Let's face it. Prostitution is the most blatant in your face illegality in Thailand. The country is FAMOUS for it. If the Junta want to be honest and true to form, they MUST crack down on it. No more prostitution. No more Full Moon raves. Only Wat gazing and elephant rides.

I doubt they have the guts. Pak Issaan would declare civil war.

IF they did crack down on it and basically wipe it out...they will HAVE to stop lining their own pockets and introduce a decent social security system. Can't have single mothers and kids starving! Not everyone wants to be a monk/nun when they can't get an honest job.

Bottom line....It's not gonna happen.

Edited by Fullstop
  • Like 1

All alcoholism is weak willed people who cannot say no. Its much harder to say my fun stops now, not the reverse.

You and only you (the drinker) is responsible for their own actions both before during and after. With this in mind who's fault is it? The drinkers or the drink?

It is the same as other drug users blaming the addiction as the reason. They and only them are the ones with the power to avoid or stop it.

I am sure there were plenty of warning signs which went ignored from simple loss of control to complicated personal relationships.

I am the worst sort of advocate, an ex user. When I was young I was weak. My drug of choice was cocaine. I was aware what was happening so quickly turned the corner, it took awhile to figure the problen was indeed me. Everyone was blaming the drugs.

I can use now without the fear of addiction. The problem was all in my head. I agree this is not as easy for everyone but it is possible for everyone.

The new laws are almost babysitting drinkers. In the UK we have done that for years same as raise prices, the effect of such a campaign? Nothing! We still have growing antisocial behavoir and violence, alcoholism and crime figures.

This for me will only hurt the tourism industry further and just like the visa rules I expected a panicked turn around.

Whilst I believe the NCPO are doing a good job they can at times get carried away with fixing things or like this identify a key problem but just manage it incorrectly. A+ for effort but a C for implementation.

So you were a cocaine addict, but somehow now you can handle it now? I won't go into that one...... but why do you think that gives you the right to say "alcoholics are weak willed" and blame people for their addiction? Having been an addict I would have expected you to be more understanding of other addicts. Did it not occur to you that some addictions and some people's experiences in particular may be different or stronger than yours, and perhaps harder than your situation? I'm all for using the power of the mind, but some people find themselves in a hole they can't get out of no matter how hard they try. Not their fault just circumstances......

Anyway, this is going a little off topic since the post is about law enforcement, not alcohol addition. If the government believe that alcohol is so bad, they should make it illegal like the drug you mention. They have not done so, for many reasons one would imagine, one being that it is probably not as addictive as cocaine, and secondly it is legal to consume in the majority of the world.

Personally I agree with a lot of people on here that alcohol is a major contributing factor to road accidents (one of many),and also a factor in domestic violence (again one of many, not least being the lopsided laws covering marriage). Some people on the other hand go through their whole lives drinking without doing it the same time as driving, and also manage to avoid becoming violent psychopaths..... Similar to other mind affecting drugs, It's a difficult question as to who should be allowed to use them and for what, but since Alcohol along with smoking have been a part of humanity for a very long time, removing the options of many competitive business practices by enforcing law, doesn't seem to me to be the answer to those 2 particular problems.

Education seems to be the best policy, and along with limiting the locations for its use (as in smoking) appears to have been very effective. Whether the same tactics should be used concerning alcohol.... I personally don't think so, but that's just my humble opinion. I believe that if it wasn't for alcohol, and the release of inhibitions and stress that it can give some people, we'd have a lot more people on prescription drugs than we already have, and there'd be a serious drop in the number of births LOL.

Through my alcohol induced haze sitting in a bar at Nana at 0100 this morning trying to read Thaivisa on my phone I misread the new rules and thought they said no more bar girls. Now that would really hurt the economy!

Please, stop giving them ideas!!!! sad.png

Let's face it. Prostitution is the most blatant in your face illegality in Thailand. The country is FAMOUS for it. If the Junta want to be honest and true to form, they MUST crack down on it. No more prostitution. No more Full Moon raves. Only Wat gazing and elephant rides.

I doubt they have the guts. Pak Issaan would declare civil war.

Awh just wait and they will, it'll still be but not seen!

Honestly who gives a shit, as long as i can buy my 5 large LEO a day i dont care.

So i dident even bother reading the post. "Im 4 down one more and "good night"

Hate to break this to you - but you are an alcoholic and should seek help

Even if he is, is there any harm in that, except to himself?

I certainly don't do myself any favours eating tasty pies and delicious fatty steaks of meat, but should a government take away my option to eat them, or reduce the ability of the industries that make them from being competitive by enforcing controlling laws?

• Like 2

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I was. I wasn't referring specifically to the ladies. I believe my wife would have a bit of a say if I ever got caught with another lady. Hey, I'd be feeding the ducks, ouch. I'm not into "peace, love, dope and good vibes", if you get my drift. I stand up for my beliefs, period. Push comes to shove, I'm good to go. Live and let live.

• Like 1

burp.gifAbout time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

Praise the lord burp.gif speaking of him, was not his first miracle turning water into wine, now there was a man you could have followed!

So the bible has to be edited for use in thailand

Now there's an idea, ban that book! I would be onboard with that...

Yeah, sliding off topic here, but the number of people that have died because of that book, far outnumber those killed by drunk drivers!!!!

I think people need to realise that any consideration of whether or not existing laws are simply being enforced is totally irrelevant.

The military junta derives its power from its near monopoly of lethal force and its legitimacy and authority from a source we (and the Thai people) are forbidden to discuss under the most severe penalties; but it is neither from the people nor the law. Like it or lump it, in effect the General has been given the authority to do anything he sees fit.

The western idea that no-one is above the law simply does not apply in Thailand. We have to face the fact that things and activities we have taken for granted over the years, as part of the Thai experience, could disappear overnight.

Edited by DoctorB
  • Like 2

"Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal, so if a waiter is asked to recommend a particular brand of beer he would be breaking the law if he responds"

I have never been to a French restaurant or in fact any reputable fine dining establishment in Bangkok without relying on the knowledge of wines drawn from a Sommelier when I am at a loss for an eloquent marriage of food and wine. Their ability to match fine wine with a superb meal is ‘strategically on a par with that of the chef de cuisine's ability to bring a certain magic to the table through the food itself.

​For one NOT to have a sommelier at a fine dining establishment should be illegal!

Lets hope the Junta rethink this specific ban.

Sorry don't have the time of day for Sommelier..... I saw a documentary recently that got a group of "supposed" wine experts together and tested them. They dyed the red white and the white red. The poor fools couldn't even identify the simplest of wines..... It's mostly a matter of personal tasted like art, and Sommelier are little more than jumped up salesmen.

Wow, whatever they used to "dye red wine white", release it as a laundry detergent and make billions off it! I've been looking for such a thing forever!

Seriously, they may have filtered out the red particles but with that, they would have changed the wine's properties as well. Why not just conduct a blindfolded study and tell the test subjects "now you're drinking a red one, now it's white"?

My personal way to select a proper wine for dinner is simple: Find the cheapest wine on the list (not glass, bottle). Now find the wine that's 2 steps up pricewise. If I don't like the country of origin, check again one up or one down. I'm going to have to drink 2/3 of the bottle anyway (women!), so at worst the first 2 glasses will be awful, the rest of the bottle will taste great.

LOL sorry my first post after waking up and I got a little carried away..... it was only White wine coloured red, not the other way around, but still very embarassing for the experts, and revealing of the bo!!ocks they come out with....

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I was. I wasn't referring specifically to the ladies. I believe my wife would have a bit of a say if I ever got caught with another lady. Hey, I'd be feeding the ducks, ouch. I'm not into "peace, love, dope and good vibes", if you get my drift. I stand up for my beliefs, period. Push comes to shove, I'm good to go. Live and let live.

Unfortunately I have drunk so much that I can't remember how good I may have been.

• Like 1

No more "beer girls"
Yes ok, no more,
the 50.000 beer girls country wide are enough
Health warnings on all alcohol products
Yes, Painters paint, thinners and paint strippers should be made as harmful and not drinkable identified.
No old bottles of wines or beer can be used to decorate a business
Yes, it's a shame good, old (properly stored) wine only for decorative purposes to use. Old stale beer should be disposed and not being sold.
No happy hours promotions
Yes, many advertise a happy hour, but charging inflated prices for drinks
It is better to have the whole evening happy prices than stingy 1-2 hours.
Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal
Yes, I know a few who can speak in swallowing.
If you drink stop talking.
No alcohol logos are allowed on glasses, ashtrays and other paraphernalia
Yes, I find the sight of sweating foreigners in dirty Chang, Singha and Leo underwear shirts/vests unbearable.
I feel only sorry for the craftsman who builds these little Tuk Tuk models from old beer cans.
Maybe they could create an exemption for him?
Punishments of up to six months in jail for various offences
Yes, Punishment up to six months in jail for J.C., who made wine out of water.
All promotion of alcoholic consumption is illegal
Yes, no “chook dii” naa.
  • Like 1

I find it curious that apart from some insignificant Chiang Mai rag, this report that evokes so much emotion is only being carried by ThaiVisa. The normally reliable Bangkok Post has not touched it neither has ThaiVisa's mate, The Nation from where they usually lift their news items

Could this be nothing more than a cynical marketing ploy and alcoholic scaremongering by the owners of this forum, who clearly know the mentality of many of it's members, to enhance their advertising revenue by virtue of more hits to their website?

"George" is probably watching this thread in delight at the number of banal (but potentially lucrative), misunderstood comments that are being made.

I don't suppose my post will be allowed to remain here for very long!