Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

We all condemn Thailand for being the second worst country for road accidents. This is a huge problem and alcohol is a major factor. We may not like to stop drinking and going home at midnight but this is going to decrease drunk driving accidents. It is going to decrease fights and other drinking related problems. It is going to perhaps also save a few brain cells in the youth of Thailand. It is going to save lives !

This country has been out of control for too long. Perhaps now is the time to clean it up once and for

Not sure how you posted this three times.
Easy

You post and get the message that there was an error so post again

After a few times you get the message that you cannot post so much in so little time

And there it is your 3 error posts are indeed posted

• Like 1

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least the Phuket News is correct in talking about much of this being contained in a 2008 law that's been widely ignored or never enforced since its enactment.

And based on the health guy's comments in the article, it doesn't exactly sound like they're ready to launch some kind of holy crusade!!!

"Tougher use of alcohol promotion laws coming soon to Phuket

PHUKET: A health official has confirmed details of a report by the Chiang Mai City News that indicates that a much more rigorous application of the Alcohol Control Act of 2008 is on its way soon."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Off Topic; the one thing this "government" should crack down on (hard), for the benefit of the country is the Thai television Soaps, Lakorns, daytime tv, and stuff that kids should'nt see pre 9 pm, ie knives, guns, stabbings and shootings, and all those pathetic screaming wimmin. I'm being serious. This is bad for the country, not alcohol.

• Like 2

I love how many people seem to think alcohol responsibility lies with the seller or government. This is the whole reason theproblem exists.

If you are easily led, suffer from poor personal management, incapable of living alone or just generally need to grow up and accept responsibilities. Why are ypu living so far from home? There is no safety net here, no benefits when you screw up, no one to hold your hand.

Nigeone, its people like you who make their life easy. Your its not their fault attitude only reinforces the behavoir. Instead of demonstrating how socially unacceptable they have become.

How can one not be responsible for his own actions?

Responsible drinkers will not be hit too badly, a little discomfort.

References to islam, oh my days. Grow up. Most of us do not blame islam for everything just because a few of them act different and endanger us. We judge people for people. In fact what are people with closed minds like this doing traveling.

I understand why a conservative country like Thailand is fed up. We brought these problems here. This is THEIR country. Many Thai I know are fed up with drunk ferang despite the cash they may bring. We see it as a playground, they see it as home. The 2 ideals clash. Buddhist's are very reserved, they do not drink or fight. In general crime is low here, particularly antisocial behavior and petty crime. We are changing this.

We are a guest and should respect everything they stand for like it or not. If someone comes into my house i expect them to act accordingly, why is this any different.

We attacked ourselves people, not them attacking us. If this problem didn't exist they wouldnt take any action.

• Like 1

Phuket News confirms sobering new alcohol laws

Word of draconian new limits on alcohol marketing and consumption gained further credence after being confirmed by another provincial health office.

After word came from Chiang Mai about a ban on essentially all forms of advertising – including happy hours and beer girls – and drinking after midnight, The Phuket News confirmed the report with local officials.

THE PHUKET NEWS — A health official has confirmed details of a report by the Chiang Mai City News that indicates that a much more rigorous application of the Alcohol Control Act of 2008 is on its way soon.

Among the results will be:

A ban on “beer girls” -- pretty girls who promote beers at events or in bars;

Health warnings on all alcohol products (details reported earlier by The Phuket News here);

A ban on the use of used bottles of alcohol for decoration;

An end to happy hours;

A ban on promoting alcohol through word of mouth;

A ban on alcohol-branded glasses, ashtrays, beer mats and other bar paraphernalia; and A ban on any promotion of alcohol consumption.

Those breaking the law face hefty fines or even prison sentences of up to six months.

Dr Prapa Nakara, Director of Non-communicable Diseases at the Phuket Public Health Office, whose task it is to keep an eye on alcohol-related issues told The Phuket News today (August 27), “We work on alcohol marketing anyway. This is not a special crackdown because this law was passed in 2008.

“When it comes to advertising in publications, on billboards or elsewhere each cases has be considered in terms of what the motivation is.

“If the motivation is to get people to drink alcohol, we will check it out and report the case to the Governor of Phuket. The police are responsible for upholding this law.

“I have come across cases such as public announcements along the lines of “Buy one, get one free.” These are not correct. If they say “We didn’t know about that,” our response is that any alcohol-related business owner must know.

“Of course, I don’t know about every place [on the island] where they promote alcohol openly so if you have the information and photos let us know and we will investigate.

“What happens after that will depend on the police and the courts.”

Those wanting advice on the precise rules about advertising, promotion and marketing of alcohol can get it from the Phuket Public Health Office.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/08/28/phuket-news-confirms-sobering-new-alcohol-laws

I think people need to realise that any consideration of whether or not existing laws are simply being enforced is totally irrelevant.

The military junta derives its power from its near monopoly of lethal force and its legitimacy and authority from a source we (and the Thai people) are forbidden to discuss under the most severe penalties; but it is neither from the people nor the law. Like it or lump it, in effect the General has been given the authority to do anything he sees fit.

The western idea that no-one is above the law simply does not apply in Thailand. We have to face the fact that things and activities we have taken for granted over the years, as part of the Thai experience, could disappear overnight.

Thank you good DoctorB. At last someone understands. See my previous post on page 9 I think. Apologies I am old and am only a newbie to posting, not to Thailand.

The only Law is Martial Law. It is whatever CiC Army/Head of Junta/PM says it is today. This latest bit of nonsense on alcohol is not the point. However IMHO It could not have been uttered by a state official, however lowly, or reported on by a newspaper, however provincial, without tacit approval given the draconian censorship in place.

All expats from Western (or ASEAn) democracies can be viewed as enemies of the state. Why? Because our governments have had the decency/audacity to be critical of a military take over of a fledgling democracy. Any one could be arrested for reading "1984" , prob anything by Orwell, in public (an act of dissent) Read it on TV so must be true?

The point is then, IMHO, that all these edicts, police acts numbers xxxx, and daily pronouncements are designed to intimidate and silence any opposition. Of course these things can`t be enforced Kingdom wide but they can be used against political opponents, the media or anyone the junta feels poses the slightest of threat to themselves.. Thai and Chinese financial and political supporters of the junta have nothing to fear. Western TVF members including the apologists should be a little paranoid. If not, they may need their heads examined professionally.

This coup was well planned and the junta is going for a cultural revolution by imposition. I have experienced Thai coups before, tanks on the streets, students shot and so on. Bad but not targeted at foreigners, immoral western influences or similar. We know the ghostly gorilla in the room, which we can`t mention. That situation seems to have rattled the ultra nationalist, xenophobic faction of the armed forces. Chinese money will see us thru, they like one party states.

None of the above should be seen as a criticism of the Happy Junta because that would be illegal and I have a lot at stake personally here right now. It is merely a comment on recent history or whatever. I am sure the dear Leaders are only acting to clean up the beloved laissez faire LoS.

Good luck to all of good will, compassion and tolerance. Any one who disagrees with me, please refrain from personal insults as these put off myself newbies from contributing.

• Like 1

Heyexile,This isn't a conspiracy. Its the Thai method of government. I will openly critise the Junta if needed. Same for corruption and other subjects. So far most of the changes have been positive, some though could have been implemented better.

They are not trying to silence anyone, this forum is proof of that. Alot of the opinions and statement would not be allowed, yet they remain. They have not shut off social media, nor thrown ferang journalist's out.

Do not ask for people not to critise or oppose you or you become as bad as the very people you are complaining about, whatever the reason. If anything it takes away credit from your statement.

Thailand belongs to the Thai people. We are merely guests. When we first arrived we had a positive influence on the country, now we suck it like a leech. We only have ourselves to blame.

It is a new age, with new technologies and stratergies. Thanks to social media, democratic ideas flow through the people, they are almost solely responsible for the Thai asking for reform in the first place. It also helps hold the Junta and others responsible for what they do on a National and International level. This whole situation is far bigger than just Thailand. Due to social media they risk a civil war or more rioting if they act badly. I don't believe they are this stupid or wish/need to hide most of their actions.

NGO'S, Foreign governments and other agencies are monitoring the situation. There is plenty they can do to impact Thailand if the do not like the direction in which it heads. It's hard to fight corruption and reform if they do the very same things themselves.

I am.sure the Junta are enjoying their time in power, and so they should. As long as when they leave Thailand is in the same state or better, they have suceeded. The goal was to stop the rioting and appease the Thai people. Which so far they have done.

From the Phuket News:

“If the motivation is to get people to drink alcohol, we will check it out and report the case to the Governor of Phuket. The police are responsible for upholding this law."

Take a wild guess if the police give a toss.

People don't have to be "motivated" to drink alcohol...lol. I'd like to agree with you DrTuner, but police or not, it's the military that is calling the shots, ah that's not a pun. The current 'government' is aiming for 'cultural reform/correctness', their style. I have a feeling it doesn't include farangs. Up here farang venues are forced to shut down at midnight, Thai venues are rocking and rolling until......

From the Phuket News:

“If the motivation is to get people to drink alcohol, we will check it out and report the case to the Governor of Phuket. The police are responsible for upholding this law."

Take a wild guess if the police give a toss.

YIPPY Its 4 pm I,m motivated "Cheers boys".
  • Like 1

I was in a well known store today and browsing the wine selection. Browsing is part of the pleasure.

A nice , pretty young lady, in a very short skirt came to help me. She could not break the law as she had not a clue about wine!

I think people need to realise that any consideration of whether or not existing laws are simply being enforced is totally irrelevant.

The military junta derives its power from its near monopoly of lethal force and its legitimacy and authority from a source we (and the Thai people) are forbidden to discuss under the most severe penalties; but it is neither from the people nor the law. Like it or lump it, in effect the General has been given the authority to do anything he sees fit.

The western idea that no-one is above the law simply does not apply in Thailand. We have to face the fact that things and activities we have taken for granted over the years, as part of the Thai experience, could disappear overnight.

Thank you good DoctorB. At last someone understands. See my previous post on page 9 I think. Apologies I am old and am only a newbie to posting, not to Thailand.

The only Law is Martial Law. It is whatever CiC Army/Head of Junta/PM says it is today. This latest bit of nonsense on alcohol is not the point. However IMHO It could not have been uttered by a state official, however lowly, or reported on by a newspaper, however provincial, without tacit approval given the draconian censorship in place.

All expats from Western (or ASEAn) democracies can be viewed as enemies of the state. Why? Because our governments have had the decency/audacity to be critical of a military take over of a fledgling democracy. Any one could be arrested for reading "1984" , prob anything by Orwell, in public (an act of dissent) Read it on TV so must be true?

The point is then, IMHO, that all these edicts, police acts numbers xxxx, and daily pronouncements are designed to intimidate and silence any opposition. Of course these things can`t be enforced Kingdom wide but they can be used against political opponents, the media or anyone the junta feels poses the slightest of threat to themselves.. Thai and Chinese financial and political supporters of the junta have nothing to fear. Western TVF members including the apologists should be a little paranoid. If not, they may need their heads examined professionally.

This coup was well planned and the junta is going for a cultural revolution by imposition. I have experienced Thai coups before, tanks on the streets, students shot and so on. Bad but not targeted at foreigners, immoral western influences or similar. We know the ghostly gorilla in the room, which we can`t mention. That situation seems to have rattled the ultra nationalist, xenophobic faction of the armed forces. Chinese money will see us thru, they like one party states.

None of the above should be seen as a criticism of the Happy Junta because that would be illegal and I have a lot at stake personally here right now. It is merely a comment on recent history or whatever. I am sure the dear Leaders are only acting to clean up the beloved laissez faire LoS.

Good luck to all of good will, compassion and tolerance. Any one who disagrees with me, please refrain from personal insults as these put off myself newbies from contributing.

You are more correct than you give yourself credit for. What we are witnessing is something that is unprecedented in the history of Thailand. Absolute military rule. Forget their excuse ceasing control of Thailand because of corruption or what have you. 15 months from now, instead of elections, Little Caesar will appoint himself again and the excuse will be "Reforms are taking longer than we thought. As you know the new constitution still forbids gathering of three or more persons and lese majesty now includes derogatory words against any high ranking military person. Therefore, don't speak no good about me or the military. Be patient with dictatorship for as long as I deem it necessary, because I don't want to get heavy handed with you"

• Like 1

I would be interested if anyone has seen any announcements that these 'existing' laws will be rigorously enforced in other parts of the country - and I am thinking particularly of Bangkok and Pattaya.

I am assuming that the quoted closure time of midnight pertains to those parts of the country where a midnight closure has always been in force, and not in the so-called entertainment zones in Bangkok and Pattaya where later trading hours are permitted.

Does this also mean that all bars must refrain from offering alcohol at certain times of day at lower prices - i.e. during the so-called 'happy hours'?

Apologies is these points have already been raised - 23 pages and 562 posts is a lot to trawl through.....

It starts with the ban at midnight, and as they get more control, and weed thru the mafias it will drop to 10PM

This will have the effect of dropping the late night traffic as well,

Once that has set in, and the people are now on a "soft curfew", it will be dropped to store bans at 8pm, and bars must close by 9PM

Thailand needs productivity, not drunkards in Mercedes plowing into vendors, or bus drivers killing all in their view

Soft crackdowns are the future

Hmmmm... just like Laos. And some munters with visa 'issues' here are heading that way already.

Better get used to having your lifestyle choices in Thailand being made for you.

Edited by NanLaew

I'm glad I don't own a bar here or any business for that matter!

It appears the wrecking ball is in full swing.

The perfect solution to kill an economy.

Thailand grew over the decades from alcohol and entertainment.

Really, why now?

Logos on glasses, give me a brake. I never saw a beer lady, a logo or an ad and said, "I need a drink."

Start messing with that and there will be massive unemployment, and expats and tourists exiting the country never to return again.

After 9 years living here, facing the extension hassles, (now even with a retirement extension, (seasoned funds surprise position) and all the changes are very disappointing and for the first time I'm seeing more negatives than pluses.

And for all the non drinkers who actually believe you will live longer, think about what the banks will be forced to do with your savings when they run low from lack of cash flow! Can you say bail in, not to mention increased taxes and penalties. Then you will start drinking and wish for everything that was taken away!

I need a drink just thinking about what's to come.

Edited by Kabula

I would be interested if anyone has seen any announcements that these 'existing' laws will be rigorously enforced in other parts of the country - and I am thinking particularly of Bangkok and Pattaya.

I am assuming that the quoted closure time of midnight pertains to those parts of the country where a midnight closure has always been in force, and not in the so-called entertainment zones in Bangkok and Pattaya where later trading hours are permitted.

Does this also mean that all bars must refrain from offering alcohol at certain times of day at lower prices - i.e. during the so-called 'happy hours'?

Apologies is these points have already been raised - 23 pages and 562 posts is a lot to trawl through.....

As a bar owner I think you can relax until we see something official about this from Bangkok. I think they are more worried about tourists who drop Thailand as their holiday destination , than prevent bars from selling alcohol after midnight.

Heyexile,This isn't a conspiracy. Its the Thai method of government. I will openly critise the Junta if needed. Same for corruption and other subjects. So far most of the changes have been positive, some though could have been implemented better.

They are not trying to silence anyone, this forum is proof of that. Alot of the opinions and statement would not be allowed, yet they remain. They have not shut off social media, nor thrown ferang journalist's out.

Do not ask for people not to critise or oppose you or you become as bad as the very people you are complaining about, whatever the reason. If anything it takes away credit from your statement.

Thailand belongs to the Thai people. We are merely guests. When we first arrived we had a positive influence on the country, now we suck it like a leech. We only have ourselves to blame.

It is a new age, with new technologies and stratergies. Thanks to social media, democratic ideas flow through the people, they are almost solely responsible for the Thai asking for reform in the first place. It also helps hold the Junta and others responsible for what they do on a National and International level. This whole situation is far bigger than just Thailand. Due to social media they risk a civil war or more rioting if they act badly. I don't believe they are this stupid or wish/need to hide most of their actions.

NGO'S, Foreign governments and other agencies are monitoring the situation. There is plenty they can do to impact Thailand if the do not like the direction in which it heads. It's hard to fight corruption and reform if they do the very same things themselves.

I am.sure the Junta are enjoying their time in power, and so they should. As long as when they leave Thailand is in the same state or better, they have suceeded. The goal was to stop the rioting and appease the Thai people. Which so far they have done.

Adam, I did not "ask people not to criticise (corrected yr typo) or oppose" me. I asked them to "please refrain from personal insults" whilst doing so. Quite a difference. I`m not Thai and I can handle criticism or opposition. Can even take personal insults, just think they are out of place i(unless very witty) on TVF.

No conspiracy? Don`t all military coups start off as conspiracies? You may like the book "How to Stage a Military Coup". It`s v funny but don`t get caught reading it in a public place.!

Thailand for the Thais. It`s their country, "we suck it like a leech". Really? Who have you been hanging out with? Most of the expats I have the pleasure of knowing have made LoS their home complete with extended Thai families which they do their best to support. Any sucking going on is not from them..

Reforms before elections. How convenient. Suppose Thais can`t be trusted to elect the people proposing the reforms you say they want. For now they don`t even have a constitution as it has been scrapped, except for one small clause we cannot mention. I realise I have risen to your bait Adam,

"The goal was to stop the rioting and appease the Thai people". Not sure what that means but how do you know that was the goal? Are you a confidante of GP? Admire your optimism.

Your best points are on the censorship issue. Social media was I believe down in the early hours of the coup. I`m too old and tired to provide links but you can google it or search within TVF. At least one western journalist is detained, ok an activist re the Fresh Fruit thing. See the topic devoted to that story. I was thinking more of Thai journalists, editors and academics who have been intimidated into silence for now. If an all powerful military junta summonses you to appear before them and warns you to be careful what you say or publish, well you may fear for your family and be quiet. Again you can google for links. Obviously they can`t censor the international press or world wide social media but they have imposed self censorship at home through intimidation allegedly.

As to the freedom we enjoy on TVF (except for taboo subjects) I admire George & Co for their efforts to walk a flaming tightrope whilst jumping through moving hoops, If they make a lot of money by disseminating hot stories well good luck to them. TV is a vital resource for expats in times of crisis. My profile is vague because none of us know who is reading TVF. It`s easy to join.

You are more correct than you give yourself credit for. What we are witnessing is something that is unprecedented in the history of Thailand. Absolute military rule. Forget their excuse ceasing control of Thailand because of corruption or what have you. 15 months from now, instead of elections, Little Caesar will appoint himself again and the excuse will be "Reforms are taking longer than we thought. As you know the new constitution still forbids gathering of three or more persons and lese majesty now includes derogatory words against any high ranking military person. Therefore, don't speak no good about me or the military. Be patient with dictatorship for as long as I deem it necessary, because I don't want to get heavy handed with you"

Very well put. Apologies for straying a little from the immediate topic of alcohol crackdown to the motivation behind all these daily/weekly crackdowns which is of more concern. I did`nt know there was a new constitution yet as they scrapped the last one. Maybe you mean the proposed new constitution? If this is published can you link me to an English translation.

Very disturbing if you`re correct on the lese majeste additions (I need a French spell checker). They may go for elections in future to placate the US (supposedly a military and economic ally) but with `awkward` parties banned again and 25% of seats reserved for non-elected NCPO nominees so they have a built in veto. They may not want to lose GM, Ford and the Japanese mnfrs. Or hope to replace them with major Chinese mnfrs by offering generous terms. Who knows, they could seek a military alliance with China and leave ASEAN. Or just go it alone.

Ultra nationalist extremists are not motivated by economics but by ideology. They don`t give a fig for social media, world opinion or any home grown dissent. Think of the past Japanese fanatical militarism, based on tradition, and Emperor worship. No parallels here of course. You`re right, this coup, from what I remember, seems unprecedented for Thailand because based on an extreme ideology.I realise I need to check the history. Hope the beer girls prosper in similar outfits but renamed Soda Happy Girls.

Tsk tsk.. We all know crackdowns here only last for a week or so.. What about the crackdown on lottery? Nobody was supposed to sell for more than 90 baht or face severe punishments. Now how many vendors do you see that sell them for 100 baht, or 110 the last day? I see a lot...
So why is this? Why is it that the STATE own lotteries can't be sold straight to the people who sell them? Why do they have to go and buy them from some 3rd party person sitting near Ratchadamnoen avenue? Ask the state and you will get the answer "We must make sure to sell all lotteries in time to get the funds for the prizes"... Just BS if you ask me.. The reason why can't be discussed here however...

And this ban seems just as likely to be enforced seriously as the rule that everyone has to register with the immigration each time they change hotel/province. Travelers are never going to do that and we all know it. Hotels might, but just 2 days ago I was at a hotel with my fiancee and they didn't even ask to see my passport, all they wanted was either my passport or her ID card, and she was quicker so they where enough with that, which shows they had no chance to report my whereabouts to the authorities...

However, I couldn't care less if this law will be enforced or not. Might be lucky to see less Tank-top farangs in Beer Chang shirts. But probably the market will win as in most cases, and sales will continue in one way or another.
Walked down Khaosan road today. Lots of girls in Beer shirts. Lots of commercial for beer, drinking, buckets, vodka. I was speaking with a guy who lived there for 20 years. He said things has never really changed and probably never will. Police come by sometimes and close bars, other times they just ask them to turn of the lights and the music and they can keep on going until 4-5 am... It's been on and off for years.
The only thing that is really changing in the KSR area is that CPB has reclaimed a lot of space and are planing to build all from a park to a library if I remember correct. I might be wrong on the specifics though. But you can see their fences all around the side facing Ratchadamnoen. This might be for the better, or not. It all depends who you ask I guess..

Alcohol related accidents are really high here though. Might be a good idea to try to enforce the drink and driving a bit more since most Thais don't seem to take it very serious.. I often here statements like "it's ok, I only had 5 glasses" or similar..
As someone once said here, and as many Thai friends have said to me in different ways, "Laws here are not to be taken as laws, but as guidelines. It's up to you to figure out what goes and what doesn't, no matter whats written in the book".

I know many of you believe things will change dramatically now with this new junta. That the old Thailand is but a memory. That the "mai pen rai"-attitude is forgotten and will never return.
I for one don't believe this. I believe it all goes in circles. And that money will always have the loudest voice here. I might be proven wrong. This time might be the time when everything changes for real. But I wouldn't bet on it before I see it. But that's just me. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, and I have no wish to argue with anyone.

• Like 1