Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

First they stopped visa runs, they are happening again. We had the curfew then bars were allowed to open again until 2am. Many ignore this and the street bars such as Soi 11 Sukhumvit still operate all night. This will blow over rather quickly. My gf works in a bar in bkk (don't bother me with remarks about a gf who is a bar girl). I spend around 4 months a year with her in Thailand then she supports herself while I'm not there. If they ban bar girls I guess I'll end up supporting her or move her here to NZ. I'd be happy with her not working in the bar but it is the only place she can make a decent wage. The wording is strange they have used, Beer Girls rather than Bar Girls. Maybe it is aimed at girls promoting drinking rather than barmaids that offer additional services. Stopping bar girls is not going to stop the freelancers. The midnight closing will send tourists rushing for Vietnam, Cambodia etc, I don't see it being enforced for long. I see it as a new way of getting a bit more money out of the bars, once they pay a bit of graft they will be sweet. As for beer posters, ashtrays etc I don't think it matters at all. It is all for show. I imagine bar prices will drop for awhile so might be time for me to buy a bar.

Edited by retoohs

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add to my post I can see this authority banning smoking in bars and restaurants very soon similar to the rest of the world which isn't such a big deal. What I would like them to do is stop the ever more happening practice of service charges at many bars. I'm sick of seeing a price for beer advertised then when I get my tab there is a service charge attached.

First they stopped visa runs, they are happening again. We had the curfew then bars were allowed to open again until 2am. Many ignore this and the street bars such as Soi 11 Sukhumvit still operate all night. This will blow over rather quickly. My gf works in a bar in bkk (don't bother me with remarks about a gf who is a bar girl). I spend around 4 months a year with her in Thailand then she supports herself while I'm not there. If they ban bar girls I guess I'll end up supporting her or move her here to NZ. I'd be happy with her not working in the bar but it is the only place she can make a decent wage. The wording is strange they have used, Beer Girls rather than Bar Girls. Maybe it is aimed at girls promoting drinking rather than barmaids that offer additional services. Stopping beer girls is not going to stop the freelancers. The midnight closing will send tourists rushing for Vietnam, Cambodia etc, I don't see it being enforced for long. I see it as a new way of getting a bit more money out of the bars, once they pay a bit of graft they will be sweet. As for beer posters, ashtrays etc I don't think it matters at all. It is all for show. I imagine bar prices will drop for awhile so might be time for me to buy a bar.

Beer girls are the girls in short tight dresses with prominent beer logos on them; Chang, Leo, Heineken, etc. There are also Crown Royal girls, Spy girls, and others. They're young and pretty and not technically bar girls, though some may be open to offers. I've met one who was a teacher and another who was an office manager, both with university degrees, both working their evening jobs to pay the bills.

I don't recall ever seeing beer girls in the bargirl places, and I don't think they're common in western oriented places. They are very common in Thai places. I hope this crackdown either never materializes or passes quickly; beer always tastes better when served by a pretty young lady in a short skirt and with a big smile.

• Like 2

First they stopped visa runs, they are happening again. We had the curfew then bars were allowed to open again until 2am. Many ignore this and the street bars such as Soi 11 Sukhumvit still operate all night. This will blow over rather quickly. My gf works in a bar in bkk (don't bother me with remarks about a gf who is a bar girl). I spend around 4 months a year with her in Thailand then she supports herself while I'm not there. If they ban bar girls I guess I'll end up supporting her or move her here to NZ. I'd be happy with her not working in the bar but it is the only place she can make a decent wage. The wording is strange they have used, Beer Girls rather than Bar Girls. Maybe it is aimed at girls promoting drinking rather than barmaids that offer additional services. Stopping beer girls is not going to stop the freelancers. The midnight closing will send tourists rushing for Vietnam, Cambodia etc, I don't see it being enforced for long. I see it as a new way of getting a bit more money out of the bars, once they pay a bit of graft they will be sweet. As for beer posters, ashtrays etc I don't think it matters at all. It is all for show. I imagine bar prices will drop for awhile so might be time for me to buy a bar.

Beer girls are the girls in short tight dresses with prominent beer logos on them; Chang, Leo, Heineken, etc. There are also Crown Royal girls, Spy girls, and others. They're young and pretty and not technically bar girls, though some may be open to offers. I've met one who was a teacher and another who was an office manager, both with university degrees, both working their evening jobs to pay the bills.

I don't recall ever seeing beer girls in the bargirl places, and I don't think they're common in western oriented places. They are very common in Thai places. I hope this crackdown either never materializes or passes quickly; beer always tastes better when served by a pretty young lady in a short skirt and with a big smile.

So it is not going to stop pretty barmaids, they just won't be allowed to be dressed in alcohol logos. Not really a big deal. I live in a tourist town, Queenstown New Zealand. I don't know about the rest the world but we have plenty of beer girls here. The JD girls are great

When does this start? The Thai bars were jumping tonight well past 12am and I still see booze ads everywhere. Though, the bars that cater to tourists were all closed at 12am. Pesky tourists.

I would have no problem having a few drinks in a "thai" bar , have had some very fun times in them

When does this start? The Thai bars were jumping tonight well past 12am and I still see booze ads everywhere. Though, the bars that cater to tourists were all closed at 12am. Pesky tourists.

Were was this that the bar that catering for turist was closed 12?Did you see this?Were?

People don't have to be "motivated" to drink alcohol...lol. I'd like to agree with you DrTuner, but police or not, it's the military that is calling the shots, ah that's not a pun. The current 'government' is aiming for 'cultural reform/correctness', their style. I have a feeling it doesn't include farangs. Up here farang venues are forced to shut down at midnight, Thai venues are rocking and rolling until......

ok just see your answer on my question. Thats bad if they do this to only farang bars but not a supprise.

Edited by INV

beer always tastes better when served by a pretty young lady in a short skirt and with a big smile.

...and vice versa

All the farang bars in Udon are closed at midnight, Thai venues still rocking and rolling.

Used to be quite a gathering at Mr Tong's after Midnight. Thai bar, slightly gay, but lots of farangs and freelancer ladies. Fun place, I thought.

Edited by slipperylobster

So it is not going to stop pretty barmaids, they just won't be allowed to be dressed in alcohol logos. Not really a big deal. I live in a tourist town, Queenstown New Zealand. I don't know about the rest the world but we have plenty of beer girls here. The JD girls are great

As I understand it, the beer girls are paid by the alcohol distributors. They do some of the service work, so they are free staff for the bars and restaurants they work at. If they are made illegal then bars and restaurants will get by with less staff, and customers will have poorer service and less eye-candy. In theory this will lower costs for the distributors, but I doubt if this will translate into lower prices. Fewer jobs, poorer service, less enjoyment--why would anyone object to that?

It will be crackdown on gogo bars next.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You could make the argument that this is a crackdown on go-go bars, since they're using half (or fully) naked women to entice people to drink. I'm not sure about the numbers, but I bet those places make more money on the girly drinks and general alcohol sales than they do on bar-fines.

It will be crackdown on gogo bars next.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You could make the argument that this is a crackdown on go-go bars, since they're using half (or fully) naked women to entice people to drink. I'm not sure about the numbers, but I bet those places make more money on the girly drinks and general alcohol sales than they do on bar-fines.

Itsa comeing they will be next !!!

I have a lovely stainless steel Heineken penknife which I got from a lovely pair of girls in Tiger dresses who would walking down Soi 22 offering free gift if you bought 4 Tigers at their happy hour price of 65 baht a bottle. All gone now....I shall treasure the knife and the moment forever ....the cold chill of Puritanism sweeps the land - we had our very own Oliver Cromwell back in the 1600s.

ThaiBev stock up strongly again today. More than 4%.

Don't read too much into this report. If it was true, Thaibev stock would be down a lot.

Stock is up because they gone save loads of money on publicity, since it is not allowed anymore, hence a higher profit.

Just was thinking.

If they publish all these new rules and hold meetings, but things stay the same (which they have)...

That might lead to confusion on other new rules...(Some may be more serious in nature).

Plenty of beer girls at Tesco still. I don't see any changes yet. Many Thai Bars and Coyote bars still remaining open past 2pm...especially here in Chiang Mai. Loi Kroh farang bars still close a few minutes before 12. Only been there twice in 2 months. Not really interesting, anyhow. I am thinking of just waiting for cheap flights to Bangkok, get a hotel for 2 nights, and heading down there for entertainment once a month. Much happier happy hours.

Is there a timeline when these new changes are effective?