Thailand: Call for special lab to be built for viruses 'with no cure'

webfact

Call for special lab to be built for viruses 'with no cure'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Medical Sciences (DMSC) has Ebola virus test kits that can yield results in 5 to 8 hours with 90 per cent accuracy, DMSC chief Dr Apichai Mongkol said yesterday.

The department has also asked the Public Health Ministry to build the country's first Biosafety Level (BSL) 4 laboratory, Apichai said.

He said each set of the Polymerase Chain Reaction kits cost Bt300,000 and they can carry out 100 tests. There are three different brands of test kits imported from Germany and China.

Tests for someone suspected of having Ebola would require all three types of test kits to ensure the most accurate results and the testing and analysis would have to be conducted in a BSL 3 laboratory, as per World Health Organisation guidelines.

The department has also asked the ministry for Bt57 million to build the BSL 4 laboratory to handle serious viruses with no cure or vaccine, Apichai said. Such a lab was necessary for Thailand and Asean countries in case of an outbreak and urgent need of microbiological culture and test confirmation, he said.

If the construction of a BSL 4 lab is approved, the department will go head with public hearings, especially in relation to the location, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Call-for-special-lab-to-be-built-for-viruses-with--30241870.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-27

Where did they get the test kits ?

"There are three different brands of test kits imported from Germany and China." in the OP.

Missed that, still in awe of the 79 year old in the sex hotel. Has given me renewed vigour for the years ahead, I hope !

• Like 1

He said each set of the Polymerase Chain Reaction kits cost Bt300,000 and they can carry out 100 tests. There are three different brands of test kits imported from Germany and China.

From 2 days ago:

In another development, Dr Apichai Mongkol, director-general of Medical Sciences Department, said 100 sets of German-made medical equipment used for testing Ebola disease on suspected patients will arrive in Thailand today. Each medical kit costs about Bt3,000, he added.

Ahem, where is the scratch-my-head smiley?

From 2 days ago:

In another development, Dr Apichai Mongkol, director-general of Medical Sciences Department, said 100 sets of German-made medical equipment used for testing Ebola disease on suspected patients will arrive in Thailand today. Each medical kit costs about Bt3,000, he added.

Ahem, where is the scratch-my-head smiley?

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

• Like 1

Am I missing something here?

If they can't be cured why would you build a lab for them? So some Thai <deleted> releases them on the public for a 20k bribe????

If they can't be cured why would you build a lab for them? So some Thai <deleted> releases them on the public for a 20k bribe????

"Such a lab was necessary for Thailand and Asean countries in case of an outbreak and urgent need of microbiological culture and test confirmation, he said."

Did you not even read the article??

"Such a lab was necessary for Thailand and Asean countries in case of an outbreak and urgent need of microbiological culture and test confirmation, he said."

Necessary?? For what?? "Oh yes, you have ebola, but its not official until the Thais confirm it"

Necessary?? For what?? "Oh yes, you have ebola, but its not official until the Thais confirm it"

A lab is where you keep strains of it for testing and research, and I cant remember ever reading about any famous Thais from that field .

A lab is not where you quarantine infected people.

They cant even keep military weapons safely locked up, how the hell can these peanuts keep a lab full of deadly viruses under lock and key.

lets hope they never get any nuclear weapons.

The story is nothing but hot air.

• Like 1

Bht 57 million..wow thats a whole chunk of money...Is there any virus etc that's not treatable ??? I dont know of any but someone on here probably does..

Have you been living without television for the past month? The Ebola virus is not curable and is spreading outside of Africa now. Pretty scary stuff what Ebola does to a person

There is no way I would trust any THAI PERSON DOCTOR or otherwise with a Bio Security lab! My GOD the corruption here is so immense how could they be trusted with running such a dangerous place with all the bio threats?

Australia and USA and Britain have these and they are guarded by enough security that Thailand could not even afford to start to contemplate. These places are so secure because of the threat of bio hazards that not even the Prime Minister can visit.

All that would be next is "he is a cousin of my sister who is married to the official and I thought he was a nice guy so i let him in to look. I did not think he would steal that Ebola virus."

What next? Give them nuclear arms to protect? Maybe a few missile silos to control?

• Like 1

Bht 57 million..wow thats a whole chunk of money...Is there any virus etc that's not treatable ??? I dont know of any but someone on here probably does..

There are many virus treatable, but I also take this to mean not CURABLE. The simple influenza virus which is a Rhetro Virus of which there are a few are not curable and that is why you get the flu every so often and new vaccines are made. For example we may think this is no bother but in one form of this flu, the Spanish flu of 1918 about 18million dies.

Ebola.

HIV

Herpes (many forms are VERY DANGEROUS)

And we could go on but I just listed a few you may know of and think - ah that's ok. But they ain't my friend they ain't. NASTY buggers in some forms indeed.

At present they already get supplies from Australia for FREE - CSL Labs - and the USA CDC. So there is absolutely NO NEED for any such lab here. The more we contain these potential threats the better. Pandoras box is opening.....

• Like 1

At present they already get supplies from Australia for FREE - CSL Labs - and the USA CDC. So there is absolutely NO NEED for any such lab here. The more we contain these potential threats the better. Pandoras box is opening.....

Exactly.....!

• Like 1