Cops arrest LA 'serial killer'

webfact

Alleged serial killer Alexander Hernandez

LOS ANGELES: -- AUTHORITIES in Los Angeles say a man in custody is a serial killer who shot seven people, leaving four dead over five days.

Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese said at a news conference this morning that the three other victims were critically injured and two dogs were also shot and killed before the arrest of 34-year-old Alexander Hernandez of Sylmar.

Albanese says the shootings began early last Wednesday when a woman was shot and wounded by a lone man in an SUV as she exited a freeway.

Shooting incidents followed for four straight days leading to the killings of three people on Sunday.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/alleged-serial-killer-alexander-hernandez/story-fndir2ev-1227038596059?from=public_rss

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-08-27

A task force of 70 working probably working OT for a week to catch this guy.

on the conservative side thats 70 man weeks or ~1.5 man years. blink.png

at $70K for the average cop on the task force and that comes out to $100K in salary spent

Add 30% for benefits and an additional 30% for OT work and the manpower expense becomes ~$170k

and thats before all the materials, equipment, petrol, vehicle usage, etc.

( sorry, I cant help it. I have program management in my soul)

Money well spent in my books!

What a nutcase!bah.gif

at $70K for the average cop on the task force and that comes out to $100K in salary spent

Add 30% for benefits and an additional 30% for OT work and the manpower expense becomes ~$170k

What a nutcase!bah.gif

Actually that is cheap and when you factor in that only the overtime will be an additional costs to the government budget - the real cost will be the tasks that those guys would have been doing had they been carrying out their normal duties (before they were seconded to the task force). By my reckoning that would be about $57,000 approx based on your estimates.

But unless the defendant pleads guilty to at least some of these killings (enough for him to never get parole), there will be a trial, which will cost millions. In that case, most of the cash will go into the pockets of the lawyers, then there is the cost of the court, jury expenses, costs of expert witnesses etc. I would have thought a couple of million dollars would do it.

In that light, the police task force would look cheap. However, many such task forces are either unsuccessful or run to many months or even longer. In those cases, new police officers would have to be hired to do the routine cop tasks, such as roping in the drug dealers and convenience store robbers. The moral of the story is that task forces to catch serial killers are cheap to set up but become expensive in the longer term.

Its after they are caught that the expenses cut in--Jamhar If you just do the math on the cost - death penalty--against life in prison with no parole then you are into real big money with the death penalty.

These figures are just for state of California.

The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.
The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

California has spent more than $4 billion on capital punishment since it was reinstated in 1978 --that is about $308 million for each Person--- re the 13 executions carried out.

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

What a nutcase!bah.gif

"A task force of 70 working probably working OT for a week to catch this guy. "

This isn't Mayberry R.F.D. In a city the size of LA I doubt this sort of thing is so extraordinary as to require officers to work OT. Even though they may be on the job for more than a standard 8 hour work day, they probably have schedules that incorporate compensatory time off. And whether they were actively involved in an investigation or sitting at a desk playing video games on a computer, they'd still be drawing salary.

Most cities have very restrictive departmental budgets, especially these days, which have to have such things built into them. They don't have piles of cash available for OT even on an emergency basis.

Like communities across the U.S.,[Los Angeles] the nation's second-largest city has faced a succession of budget shortfalls. Los Angeles property and sales-tax revenue plummeted during the recession, and the region also suffered as several large employers closed, moved or downsized.

Over the past two years, city leaders have cut city services, raised fees and eliminated 2,400 jobs through layoffs and early retirement.

The council's budget, however, calls for even deeper cuts to the police department than the $100 million already proposed by Mr. Villaraigosa.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704083904576333631495218412

Edited by Suradit69

What a nutcase!bah.gif

As one that pays taxes in the US, and a lot of them, I much prefer my tax dollar being used to catch a serial killer like this than see tax dollars going to a bunch of free Obama care covered immigrants/gang bangers standing in line for food stamps, living in Sectiion 8 housing and collecting welfare.

• Like 1

What a nutcase!bah.gif

"A task force of 70 working probably working OT for a week to catch this guy. "

This isn't Mayberry R.F.D. In a city the size of LA I doubt this sort of thing is so extraordinary as to require officers to work OT. Even though they may be on the job for more than a standard 8 hour work day, they probably have schedules that incorporate compensatory time off. And whether they were actively involved in an investigation or sitting at a desk playing video games on a computer, they'd still be drawing salary.

Most cities have very restrictive departmental budgets, especially these days, which have to have such things built into them. They don't have piles of cash available for OT even on an emergency basis.

Like communities across the U.S.,[Los Angeles] the nation's second-largest city has faced a succession of budget shortfalls. Los Angeles property and sales-tax revenue plummeted during the recession, and the region also suffered as several large employers closed, moved or downsized.

Over the past two years, city leaders have cut city services, raised fees and eliminated 2,400 jobs through layoffs and early retirement.

The council's budget, however, calls for even deeper cuts to the police department than the $100 million already proposed by Mr. Villaraigosa.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704083904576333631495218412

Yep, it is hard for California to allocate money where needed and protect government jobs when California loses about $25 billion a year take care of and paying for illegal immigrants in California.

• Like 1

What a nutcase!bah.gif

Erm, you're not talking about yourself, are you?

You forgot to add in coffe and donuts!

Its after they are caught that the expenses cut in--Jamhar If you just do the math on the cost - death penalty--against life in prison with no parole then you are into real big money with the death penalty.

These figures are just for state of California.

The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

California has spent more than $4 billion on capital punishment since it was reinstated in 1978 --that is about $308 million for each Person--- re the 13 executions carried out.

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

That cost is only so high because the US drags it's feet and lets these scumbags drag out appeals for 20 years. If a jury is totally convinced the offender is guilty and is sentenced to death one quick appeal should be enough. After that, don't mess around with expensive chemicals and rituals when a simple bullet will do the trick. That should cut the cost by at least 230,000,000 a year.

• Like 1