Student shot dead in Bangkok

webfact

EricBerg post # 3

There is nothing wrong with positive competition/rivalry. Would you want to stop all sports events? There just are no simple solutions to complex problems. There is senseless violence in all countries. The mindset of the young ones at times can be narrow as unfortunately shown in this case.

May the girl rest in peace.

Agreed in full Eric. However there is an ongoing promotion of gross violence to achieve the top dog position that is far removed from the ethics of sport.

I recall an incident from my schooldays (1958 ish) when my school was fielding its football team against another school in the area.

One of my fellow class mates Mickey Watts by name called out from the sidelines ,''if you can't get the ball boys kick the player..''

Mr Arthur who was our sports teacher strode up to Mickey and hauled him off to the heads office, at the end of the game we as a school had to apologize for Mickeys comments to our visitors as did Mickey and the school then had a special assembly where Mickey got a bollocking of a magnitude even now I remember and I am sure if he is still alive he remembers too.

The whole idea of superiority was based on decency and sportsmanship not violence unlike the Thai University and school system and Thai society in general where might is right

Yep SP I get your point. The problem goes way much further in modern societies. Back in the late 80ies I spoke to a few forensic psychiatrists. One of the Americans said that then US kids under 16 watched about 1600 something killings/murders on tv each year. So the youth there was growing up with much more violence acceptance than in Holland. Not that the kids approved of it but it was a far more integral part of life experience and expectation.

Trying to turn that is a hell of a job. It can only be done by obligatory directions from authorities. Similar to the anti-smoking campaigns that various countries propagate. Yet trying to regulate tv and film industry will not be possible in average countries, save North Korea and the likes.

Then there is only one big opportunity to try to turn things. Education education education. Try to integrate empathy in the upbringing of the youth. Subsidise tv programms/and shows and cartoons. Show f.i. the consequences of teen pregnancy or the impact a murder has on the family/friends. Or someone killed in traffic by a drunk driver.

In Germany the various governments invested hundreds of millions over the years in trying to let the german people deal with what happened during ww2. Nothing worked. Then there was a silly overdramatised US series called Holocaust and that finally set things off at high speed.

I agree with you that Thailand needs changes in this very very badly. The moderate reaction about the slave trafficking reports on Thai trawlers was shocking. Government people were more busy with denying things than with trying to find out if it was true and then ct massively to fight it.

Being tough and not lose face seem to be much more important in Thailand than in many other countries. To change things will be for the better of all people, will bring happiness, but it is not a priority for those that have the means and power to try it.

That however will change for sure at some point.

Edited by EricBerg
  • Like 1