What do you carry your passport in when traveling ?

BKKdreaming

" So you're not exactly the first to market with this idea, but, as they say, if you can make a better mousetrap........"

Not a better mousetrap, just ideas on what you think is important ...

the value added will be a hand painted Thai name etc......

Keep the ideas coming......mostly if I should include places for credit cards and cash..... or something else.......

and still keep it thin when in your pocket.....

My neck-pouch has three internal pockets, two large and one small. I use the larger ones for passport and cash, the small one for credit cards. I find this useful - I leave nothing valuable in my wallet, just a small amount of currency.

What would be useful is an external clear pocket for replaceable name / details card, but I put a piece of paper inside the pouch for that. But really, if this pouch around my neck goes missing, what are the chances of ever seeing it again anyway?

Edited by moojar
  • Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hand luggage you carry it in your hand !!!

He dident realise someone was going through the bag he was carrying ?

No, he was asleep.

Travelling sometimes takes a long time.

Happened on a train.

An overnight train.

That's why he was asleep.

Awh thats a bit clearer.

"May be he should get a cricket box you mentioned before" keep his valuables near the crown jewels:D

Yep, you learn from your mistakes. Even better when they are someone else's mistakes! biggrin.png

" So you're not exactly the first to market with this idea, but, as they say, if you can make a better mousetrap........"

Not a better mousetrap, just ideas on what you think is important ...

the value added will be a hand painted Thai name etc......

Keep the ideas coming......mostly if I should include places for credit cards and cash..... or something else.......

and still keep it thin when in your pocket.....

My neck-pouch has three internal pockets, two large and one small. I use the larger ones for passport and cash, the small one for credit cards. I find this useful - I leave nothing valuable in my wallet, just a small amount of currency.

What would be useful is an external clear pocket for replaceable name / details card, but I put a piece of paper inside for that. But really, if this pouch around my neck goes missing, what are the chances of ever seeing it again anyway?

I got one of those thingos round here somewhere:)

Hand luggage you carry it in your hand !!!

He dident realise someone was going through the bag he was carrying ?

No, he was asleep.

Travelling sometimes takes a long time.

Happened on a train.

An overnight train.

That's why he was asleep.

Awh thats a bit clearer.

"May be he should get a cricket box you mentioned before" keep his valuables near the crown jewels:D

Yep, you learn from your mistakes. Even better when they are someone else's mistakes! biggrin.png
"How stressfull ey", having your passport stolen when in transit:mellow::(

Wrapped in Aluminum Alfoil....Your chip then cannot be read with your details on......By someone with the gear to do it.

They already make a Passport holder that does exactly that.....thats where i got the idea from.....Cost of these are $16 AUS.

You got a tin foil hat as well to stop people reading your mind ....laugh.png

Bugger... you beat me to it. Do you have to take off your foil hat when you pass through the scanner thingy ?

Wrapped in Aluminum Alfoil....Your chip then cannot be read with your details on......By someone with the gear to do it.

They already make a Passport holder that does exactly that.....thats where i got the idea from.....Cost of these are $16 AUS.

You surely wear a tin hat also, right????

Data on chips in passports can NOT be read out without the passport being open and scanned by the reader device, this is NOT the same as with credit card RF Chips. Reading data on a passport chip needs an access certificate. This will be created by the passport reader from the passport number, the birth date of the passport holder and the expiry of the passport... and only then, the chip can be read.

Passport holders claiming protection against chip reading is complete bullshit, but obviously a good business model towards people wearing tin hats...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I carry mine in a travel wallet, but it is slipped inside an RFID Shield Passport Holder.

Yes, I have an RFID-blocking wallet with places for credit cards, etc. as well as my passport. Forget where I got mine - online somewhere. But I've noticed that the REI stores have them, too. Wherever you get it, it's an increasingly worthwhile investment IMO. So you're not exactly the first to market with this idea, but, as they say, if you can make a better mousetrap...

As I said before: Credit Card data COULD be read out through a very powerful RFID reader device - however such a device would need a HUGE antenna or then very close contact to the credit card (< 20cm to the wallet), so even though there is a danger, for European Chip based credit cards it makes NO sense to protect them in special wallets, as the data that can be read is NOT sufficient for real fraud - nothing above 40 Euro is possible (trust me, I know). For American cards it is more problematic, as the RF antenna is linked to the data on the magnetic stripe and much more data can be read out leading to much higher fraud, therefore for US cards, it makes sense to have a protection wallet.

But for passports, it is pure bullshit to want to protect them, as they are NOT readable through a standard RF scanner. As I wrote before: Data on chips in passports can NOT be read out without the passport being open and scanned by the reader device, this is NOT the same as with credit card RF Chips. Reading data on a passport chip needs an access certificate. This will be created by the passport reader from the passport number, the birth date of the passport holder and the expiry of the passport... and only then, the chip can be read.

Selling protecting wallets for passports is a business model working well with people believing in any other conspiration theory and wearing tin hats.

Honestly can't claim to be an expert on the truth of RFID chip exposure. 'Certainly I'm not going to be dismissive of it simply because of something somebody posts here, no matter how insistent or insulting they might be about it. There's an overwhelming number of internet sources describing it, although they could all be affiliated with RFID-blocking device vendors for all I know. I do know the U.S. even provides an RFID-blocking "sleeve" with its U.S. Passport cards, and advises that passport covers should be kept closed while being carried to prevent their being scanned. You can even buy active RFID blocking cards that claim to emit a jamming signal anytime a scanner is detected. For me, the wallet seemed like a good choice because my credit cards ARE U.S. cards, and the wallet will hold passport, cards, & other stuff in one place, and I do believe RFID scanning in places crowded with travelers, like international airports, is a threat. If there were some cheap & simple way to test its actual RFID-blocking ability, I would probably do so out of curiosity.