Encroached mountainous forests in Hua Hin now on target for suppression drive

webfact

Encroached mountainous forests in Hua Hin now on target for suppression drive

BANGKOK: -- As the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has set forest encroachment by influential people as its priority in suppression drive to return forest areas to the country and happiness to the people, Hua Hin is another place where forest encroachment is rampant.

A vast areas in the mountains in this famous Hua Hin beach has been trespassed and illegally occupied to build resort homes.

Property developer claimed land utilisation of mountainous area described degraded forest areas for eco-tourism in applying permits from local authorities to make the forest areas fertile again.

But in reality that was just their claim as in fact they have turned these degraded forest areas on mountains into resorts for commercial purposes because of the high location with spectacular views of the sea.

There are many instances of violation on permits that only allow limited access to forest preserves.

Now soldiers, forestry and land department authorities are eyeing on protected forests located on Khao Pradu mountain in Hua Hin district in Prachuap Kirikhan province following complaints filed by many villagers that many parts of the area has been cleared and many buildings have been constructed on the protected area.

Furthermore, villagers recount that large macro machines have been brought in to prepare roads.

But what they were most concerned was that these trespassed property are located above the Klai Kangwon Palace.

Investigation by authorities have revealed that many concrete roads as wide as four metres have been constructed leading up the top of the mountain and numerous buildings have indeed been constructed on the slopes of the mountain.

The title deed to the property indicates one developer had applied for the utilisation of the areas in accordance with the Forestry Act of 1939 which allows for the use of ‘degraded forest’ areas.

The application was made for three tracts of land totaling more than 40 rai (16 acre) and was alleged to be used to develop an eco-tourism site in 2008.

But in fact after authorities conducted survey, he had encroached and violated many conditions laid down by laws in getting permits.

Director-general of the Forest Department Thirapat Prayurasit said on top of the road that leads up the slopes of the mountain, many buildings believed to be part of a planned resort have been built.

The buildings all afford a great view of the ocean and applications for temporary addresses for each and every one of the structures have been made and received.

Furthermore, he said, close inspection of documents have further revealed that the structures have been constructed beyond the boundaries prescribed on the original title deed.

He said many constructions were built outside the permitted areas of more than 18 locations.

Apart from illegally building outside the permitted areas, the applicant for use of degraded forest area also violated the conditions laid down by forestry authorities by falling trees and turning forest areas into concrete roads and structures which is all illegal.

Authorities said this area is only part of several areas where authorities found were encroached and the persons who sought permission to utilise the degraded forest area of more than 500 rais, mostly on the mountains have violated the utilisation conditions.

Most encroached areas are on high mountains overlooking the sea. But what is most significant is that all encroached areas to build resort homes are located above the palace.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/encroached-mountainous-forests-hua-hin-now-target-suppression-drive/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-28

No problem just tear the places down. People will quickly learn not to buy places from unscrupulous developers

that play fast and loose with the laws by paying bribes. Does not matter how long ago, the authorities may eventually

catch up to the encroachments and like musical chairs whoever owns the house when the music stops

is left holding the bag so to speak. whistling.gif

AH: What palace kao tao ????

The King's family own a big area in Khao Tao, called Hat Sai Yai, where they often visit. It is a kind of large vacation home.

The Klai Kangwon Palace is located in central Hua Hin. I assume, that the mention hills are opposite of the palace.

How are foreigners supposed to know which developers are unscrupulous and which are not? And how are they supposed to know when a property was built in violation of the law when all permits and other paperwork seem in order? Since the govt let it happen, IMHO, the govt should make the developers cough up enough money to repay the buyers and restore the land to its original condition. The burden shouldn't fall on good faith purchasers. And if the developers can't cough up enough money, some of what they did is probably criminal, so maybe they should spend some time in jail -- along with the officials who signed off on their illegal acts. It would be a good focus for the anti corruption campaign, and make the point that there's a new sheriff in town very clearly.

How are foreigners supposed to know which developers are unscrupulous and which are not? And how are they supposed to know when a property was built in violation of the law when all permits and other paperwork seem in order? Since the govt let it happen, IMHO, the govt should make the developers cough up enough money to repay the buyers and restore the land to its original condition. The burden shouldn't fall on good faith purchasers. And if the developers can't cough up enough money, some of what they did is probably criminal, so maybe they should spend some time in jail -- along with the officials who signed off on their illegal acts. It would be a good focus for the anti corruption campaign, and make the point that there's a new sheriff in town very clearly.

I see it like this ericjt: First off, you should consider all property developers and their ilk unscrupulous, and be suspicious of all of them. Even more so the farangs. You are far more likely to be taken advantage of by farangs here. And that includes even smaller farang-run businesses as well, where you can usually expect to pay more for whatever goods and/or services they are offering.
Farangs here face an inherent disadvantage in any business dealings. Most especially when involved in businesses in direct conflict or competition with similar Thai-run businesses. Dealing with farangs involving property and/or land and house sales is a fool's game. They'll ultimately resort to ripping off their fellow farangs to make up for their disadvantage or whatever they've 'paid' to get into that game to begin with. Expect to pay a premium, and expect to get screwed.
And don't expect justice if things go tits-up, like you would expect in whatever corner of farangland you come from. Even if you are totally in the right, you can't expect that anything would be resolved in your favor.
Never spend or invest anything here that you're not willing to write off as a total loss!
Caveat emptor.

I see it like this ericjt: First off, you should consider all property developers and their ilk unscrupulous, and be suspicious of all of them. Even more so the farangs. You are far more likely to be taken advantage of by farangs here. And that includes even smaller farang-run businesses as well, where you can usually expect to pay more for whatever goods and/or services they are offering.
Farangs here face an inherent disadvantage in any business dealings. Most especially when involved in businesses in direct conflict or competition with similar Thai-run businesses. Dealing with farangs involving property and/or land and house sales is a fool's game. They'll ultimately resort to ripping off their fellow farangs to make up for their disadvantage or whatever they've 'paid' to get into that game to begin with. Expect to pay a premium, and expect to get screwed.
And don't expect justice if things go tits-up, like you would expect in whatever corner of farangland you come from. Even if you are totally in the right, you can't expect that anything would be resolved in your favor.
Never spend or invest anything here that you're not willing to write off as a total loss!
Caveat emptor.

I agree with parts of what you say, iSabai, but I've lived here for 10 years now, so I know my way around, at least a little bit. When I first came here, I was hugely ignorant of how things worked here -- who to trust, how to do things, etc. And I think it's the same for most farangs or anybody else who's new to Asia.

So if the new govt wants to start going after corruption in the old govt, and if they want to do it fairly, then I think my suggestion stands. You can't ask people who don't even know what they don't know to try and avoid scams when moving here. Or pay for the scams they got caught up in. They're the ones who need the new govt's protection, IMHO.

As for Thais or other knowledgeable people, well, they're not good faith buyers, so if you'd want to make them pop for some of the loss, I might agree with you.

• Like 1

Caveat emptor.

I agree with parts of what you say, iSabai, but I've lived here for 10 years now, so I know my way around, at least a little bit. When I first came here, I was hugely ignorant of how things worked here -- who to trust, how to do things, etc. And I think it's the same for most farangs or anybody else who's new to Asia.

So if the new govt wants to start going after corruption in the old govt, and if they want to do it fairly, then I think my suggestion stands. You can't ask people who don't even know what they don't know to try and avoid scams when moving here. Or pay for the scams they got caught up in. They're the ones who need the new govt's protection, IMHO.

As for Thais or other knowledgeable people, well, they're not good faith buyers, so if you'd want to make them pop for some of the loss, I might agree with you.

Agree, and point taken ericjt. Victims of scams or shady dealings should have protections and some recourse to recover their losses for sure. And as you said, it's not easy for farangs to fully understand what exactly they are getting, or have gotten themselves into sometimes. It's not totally impossible to find some happiness in what you're looking for, many farangs do. My point was merely that a cautious and suspicious approach to any dealings here is the way to go.

Hopefully the "new sheriff" will take up that "campaign" against those "illegal acts" as you say. Would be best for all, but will certainly take time before we'll see significant results.

Chok dee!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Caveat emptor.

Agree, and point taken ericjt. Victims of scams or shady dealings should have protections and some recourse to recover their losses for sure. And as you said, it's not easy for farangs to fully understand what exactly they are getting, or have gotten themselves into sometimes. It's not totally impossible to find some happiness in what you're looking for, many farangs do. My point was merely that a cautious and suspicious approach to any dealings here is the way to go.

Hopefully the "new sheriff" will take up that "campaign" against those "illegal acts" as you say. Would be best for all, but will certainly take time before we'll see significant results.

Chok dee!

For sure. Hope the "new sheriff" does that.

I did try to be careful when I first moved here. Heck, I was a lawyer before, so the first thing I did was hire a lawyer to protect me. Yeah, right. The lawyer was friends with everybody, and I was friends with nobody. Given my ignorance, things probably worked out pretty well. It ended up costing me more, but it could have been a lot worse. They system is so different here -- Land Office running most real estate transactions, the multi-level title system, mountain areas reserved to the Crown -- that I couldn't even start to ask intelligent questions.

But I agree that a cautious and suspicious approach is the way to go. Maybe because I was, I didn't get hurt more.

Chok dee...