See it, want it, take it! acceptable in this culture?

willyumiii

Yep, although admittedly, Thai people wouldn't see people taking things, without asking, as "acceptable", but they probably wouldn't complain either.

They'd usually know who to ask, to find out who borrowed it, and indeed would have probably even told the person that they can borrow it anytime, thus it would be acceptable for them to just take it while we're not home, since they'd already have permission. Just as we would probably do the same in our home country, if we were in a similar living situation e.g. Often have to rely on neighbours + have known them all our lives growing up.

When I grew up in the countryside, we had a similar relationship with our neighbours, we didn't need to borrow much from them, nor them from us, as we were both pretty self sufficient, but living 20km from the nearest shop we'd often had to rely on our neighbours and knew them well. We therefore had agreements where they could come in and borrow our trailer, even if we weren't home, we didn't borrow much from them, only occasionally milk and sugar etc, but as it was inside their house, we'd need them to be home to borrow that lol.

The only difference is, for us in a Thai village, that we're foreigners so we don't know them, and it's difficult to get to know them due to cultural and language barriers.

• Like 2

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, although admittedly, Thai people wouldn't see people taking things, without asking, as "acceptable", but they probably wouldn't complain either.

They'd usually know who to ask, to find out who borrowed it, and indeed would have probably even told the person that they can borrow it anytime, thus it would be acceptable for them to just take it while we're not home, since they'd already have permission. Just as we would probably do the same in our home country, if we were in a similar living situation e.g. Often have to rely on neighbours + have known them all our lives growing up.

When I grew up in the countryside, we had a similar relationship with our neighbours, we didn't need to borrow much from them, nor them from us, as we were both pretty self sufficient, but living 20km from the nearest shop we'd often had to rely on our neighbours and knew them well. We therefore had agreements where they could come in and borrow our trailer, even if we weren't home, we didn't borrow much from them, only occasionally milk and sugar etc, but as it was inside their house, we'd need them to be home to borrow that lol.

The only difference is, for us in a Thai village, that we're foreigners so we don't know them, and it's difficult to get to know them due to cultural and language barriers.

And so, it suddenly becomes acceptable to just take and not ask from unknown people.

I feel your previous post and this one are both spot on for explaining why they do it, but I feel you are too tolerant.

When others take things and return them in the same shape later, I agree that it's not a very big deal, but when the stuff comes back broken or disappears completely, it is theft pure and simple.

Understandable, yes. Acceptable, no.

Edited by manarak

When others take things and return them in the same shape later, I agree that it's not a very big deal, but when the stuff comes back broken or disappears completely, it is theft pure and simple.

Technically I think the word for borrowing something without permission is misappropriation, rather than theft.

misappropriation n. the intentional, illegal use of the property or funds of another person for one's own use or other unauthorized purpose

Edited by Gecko123

Cultural and language barriers should have nothing to do with politeness.