Wannabee / Pretend riders

Gweiloman

I follow this bike forum for quite a while now. And i have noticed quite a lot members claiming to get stalked. Its interesting that these are mostly the members who describe themselves as "real riders" and who like to call others "no real riders". Seem the "The pot calling the kettle black".

This raises an interesting point, for me at least.

Without being pedantic, do you consider everyone who rides, regardless of bike, style, purpose, a rider? I mean in the figurative sense of the word, not the literal or technical sense.

If you do, then you would have to accept that I'm an artist as I'm able to draw a stickman (I think) or a chippy because I can hammer a nail into a piece of wood (and fairly straight even, I might say so myself).

To me, a rider is someone who rides for the sheer joy of it, whether it be fast or slow, big bike or small. Take the average Thai farmer on a Honda Wave. He would not get on his bike in the morning and just go riding for a few hours before returning home. He rides a bike but you could hardly describe him as a rider. Just riding a bike does not, in my mind, equate to being a rider. It needs to be a frame of mind as well

• Like 2

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of room for varieties between a farmer with a Wave and a farang who rides at weekends just for fun.

I know, many riders like to glorify riding, eg. in movies like "Why we ride". For me its absolutely not interesting (in this forum and in real life) who is "a rider" and who is not. But i am able to notice if someone wants to insult me and sometimes i get angry then. Cant help myself.

Imo the question is, why do some "riders" think other members have less rights to express their opinion in this forum just because they dont fit into a certain definition of "riders"?

• Like 1

There is a lot of room for varieties between a farmer with a Wave and a farang who rides at weekends just for fun.

I know, many riders like to glorify riding, eg. in movies like "Why we ride". For me its absolutely not interesting (in this forum and in real life) who is "a rider" and who is not. But i am able to notice if someone wants to insult me and sometimes i get angry then. Cant help myself.

Imo the question is, why do some "riders" think other members have less rights to express their opinion in this forum just because they dont fit into a certain definition of "riders"?

School yard posturing...alpha male mentality....Napoleon complex (overcompensation)...take your pick.

• Like 1

There is no certain definition of 'rider' wantan.

Absolutely, hence my earlier post that I do not put any posters on ignore as I like to hear their opinion as well. However, if I disagree with what they are saying, I believe that I have the right (as this is a public forum) in putting forward my opposing opinion.

If I feel that an opinion or advice for that matter is wrong and potentially dangerous, then I will try to put my point across more forcefully (such as not wearing safety equipment or encouraging reckless riding). At the same time, we also have to be pragmatic. It is OTT to put on full safety equipment for a 100 meter ride to the local 7-11.

In expressing opinions on this forum, it needs to be genuine and born out of personal knowledge and experience. No harm and no shame in admitting lack of knowledge or having made a mistake.

I often go for a ride for the pleasure of it, but not the bike ride itself (pxc, ha-ha) but to get out of the house and take a walk of visit a nice restaurant.

During the ride (mostly downtown Pattaya) I observe what is going on, a new condo being build there and now this restaurant is closed, seeing a sexy girl and so on, all this is part of my rides nowadays. You off-course mostly have to observe the traffic around you most or you can quickly end up in hospital but I fell very confident riding since I been doing it for so many years.

I have stopped posting in motor forum lately since a few posters just pissed my too much off, so I said to myself, well xxxx them, I can easily live without that forum.

If somebody had stalked me by sending me offensive PM's I will have reported them immediately and kept on doing it until a moderator have acted.

I imagine some taxi and delivery bikers here might hate riding but they are still very skilled riders.

I as well left the forum for a year or 2 because I got annoyed by a certain person and I didn't find the forum interesting because I had the same old bike for over 4 years.

Buying a new scooter brought me back to the forum but after 4 months the topics are getting dull again.

I have decided that I am an enthusiast with the ability to ride.

After riding for 15 years; I have now ridden scooters, minibikes, pocketbikes, supersports, a motard, and off road technical trails so I have been on many different bike forums over the years.

I suppose someday a chopper will be in the mix if I move to the suburbs.

My enthusiasm lies in modifying, and learning about bike engineering and technology more than riding.

Living a few hundred meters from the MRT reduces my need to ride too.

Once I am out riding and weaving through traffic I am still pleasantly amused by the riding experience and remember why I like riding bikes.

• Like 2

"Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,

So tell me what you want, what you really really want,

I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,

So tell me what you want, what you really really want,

I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really really really wanna GSXR."

smile.png

Thanks for bringing back the time in my life when I had an 8 year old daughter that wanted to go see the Spice Girl movie. Man, if water boarding had been an option I would have taken that.

Instead I sat through the most inane movie ever to hit the big screen which has scared me for the rest of my life! crazy.gif

Oh, I've just been back a few days from the village, and in the month I was there I rode the Suzie Smash 110 and never got over 60. Rode mostly at 45....so if anyone thinks I am not a motorcyclist.....I really don't give a sh1t.

If Gweiloman rides a 50cc step through.....I really don't give a sh1t.

If you crazy enough to spend your coin on a Euro bike.....I really don't give a sh1t.

But, when I have to spend my money to finance you ride.....I really will give a sh1t!

There is no certain definition of 'rider' wantan.

Yep, exactly what i meant with "someone is not fitting into a certain definition of (the term) riders". He may fits into another of the countless varieties. I am not a native speaker. Sorry if this is not correct, but i hope people can understand what i mean?

I am not 100% certain about the exact meaning of "certain" as verb or adjective laugh.png

Sorry, sounds like a troll thread to me. Someone hacked Gweiloman's account?

No wantan, no one hacked my account. For some reason, one poster has taken it upon himself to educate me on the finer points of riding, road safety etc etc biggrin.png

Just go to your Settings, open "Ignore Preferences" and add the user to be ignored for messages. I havent tested it but it should work.

Such thread is pretty useless. Just another chance for some people to state that they are "real riders". This forum is open to everyone as it is part of TV. You dont need to be a "real rider" (whatever this means) to post here and share your opinion. Just a bit more respect for the others and a bit less arrogance and everything will be fine. Most of this bickering only happens because "real riders" start telling others that they "do not even ride" or "only ride to 7/11" or "ride a scooter" and such BS. Imo the people who want a "real bike forum" for "real riders" should go and look somewhere else as here at TV we always will have members who are no "hardcore riders". And for me and most others this is OK.

Such thread is pretty useless. Just another chance for some people to state that they are "real riders".

Yes it seems that the OP has just opened this thread specifically for that purpose...

I'll bet there's a hell of a lot more to this PM story than is being told here..coffee1.gif

Never been PM'd offensive messages, loads on the forum but never by PM. must try harder!

I loved riding since my Dad bought me a 50cc Honda Vision so I didn't have to ride my bicycle to school :) I'm honest about the bikes I like and the bikes I think are rubbish. Sometimes I argue with people when they are too opinionated and try and dictate to others, but no big deal...

Nothing wrong with loving small bikes just because they take you to 711. In my 2 years in Phuket I had some great rides on small bikes, watching the sunset, cruising around the hills and stopping for dinner with the GF etc.

• Like 2

May be was something you posted recently that triggered this. You posted pics all of your motorcycles and this could be the reason. ( jealousy?) I am not showing my Panigale (in the future) for sure in this case. haha

No, I don't think there would are any posters who would be so juvenile. Otherwise, the likes of RSD and DSR would also have been PM'd as they own really beautiful bikes.

I think it's just because I disagreed with some of the opinions and advice given by the said poster and received some likes. Oh well, such is life.

Just go to your Settings, open "Ignore Preferences" and add the user to be ignored for messages. I havent tested it but it should work.

Such thread is pretty useless. Just another chance for some people to state that they are "real riders". This forum is open to everyone as it is part of TV. You dont need to be a "real rider" (whatever this means) to post here and share your opinion. Just a bit more respect for the others and a bit less arrogance and everything will be fine. Most of this bickering only happens because "real riders" start telling others that they "do not even ride" or "only ride to 7/11" or "ride a scooter" and such BS. Imo the people who want a "real bike forum" for "real riders" should go and look somewhere else as here at TV we always will have members who are no "hardcore riders". And for me and most others this is OK.

Such thread is pretty useless. Just another chance for some people to state that they are "real riders".

Yes it seems that the OP has just opened this thread specifically for that purpose...

I'll bet there's a hell of a lot more to this PM story than is being told here..coffee1.gif

No, I opened this thread because a poster PM'd me stating that I was a pretender and a wannabee rider. As English is not my first language, I wasn't 100% certain what that meant. I did ask the poster in question but did not get a reply so I thought I would ask on the forum where most of the posters are usually helpful and could possibly identify which parts of me are pretend and wannabee smile.png I daren't ask my GF because she beats me off the lights on her PCX so she'll probably agree with the poster in question.

That's quite interesting.....ie if your GF who, no doubt knows you a lot better than any TV member would probably agree with the poster.. in that case maybe then, it is true.

But then how would you know what she means if ,as you say that you started this crazy thread because you didn't understand 100% the meaning of the words??

Methinks you started this thread for other reasons...hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

No, I opened this thread because a poster PM'd me stating that I was a pretender and a wannabee rider. As English is not my first language, I wasn't 100% certain what that meant. I did ask the poster in question but did not get a reply so I thought I would ask on the forum where most of the posters are usually helpful and could possibly identify which parts of me are pretend and wannabee smile.png I daren't ask my GF because she beats me off the lights on her PCX so she'll probably agree with the poster in question.

That's quite interesting.....ie if your GF who, no doubt knows you a lot better than any TV member would probably agree with the poster.. in that case maybe then, it is true.

But then how would you know what she means if ,as you say that you started this crazy thread because you didn't understand 100% the meaning of the words??

Methinks you started this thread for other reasons...hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

You don't understand sarcasm when you see it. Another symptom of your advanced Alzheimer's perhaps?

• Like 1

> Methinks you started this thread for other reasons...

Maybe to get the private "discussion" into the public again? I still think it would have been better to just stop the PMs or ignore any further PMs from this particular member. Seems there was no stalking but there was no consensus possible using PM.

• Like 1

> Methinks you started this thread for other reasons...

Maybe to get the private "discussion" into the public again? I still think it would have been better to just stop the PMs or ignore any further PMs from this particular member. Seems there was no stalking but there was no consensus possible using PM.

Well, it's been really slow on the biking forum. I don't own Hondas (other than a PCX) so can't spar with II2 about his fanatical obsession with Honda (by the way II2, I was told to tell you that the Nuovo is a better bike than the Click 5555). The curves thread ended too quickly - it seems that it got hijacked prematurely with banal insults flying around. My own thread about group / solo riding died as well as it seems that posters here generally don't like each other enough to ride together (or just living too far apart).

Would be nice if someone could start a thread that tweaks every riders' interest (and let's not be pedantic about the definition here) and get lots of constructive posts.

It's a general problem on the whole Thaivisa board, almost whatever forum you follow there are a few that's trying hard to destroy the topic.

I don't know why? One reason could be that on the keyboard/pc you can be a really tough guy (Navy seal or SAS, if you want) and you don't get a bloody nose, ha-ha.

Those guys don't have any guts in real life, they are perhaps even scarred of riding a bike too.

I talked to a few persons over the years that admitted that they are too scarred to ride a bike which I can respect as they told me face to face.

A before very prominent poster here on bike forum have left for good and this guy is a real biker no doubt about that but I think he got feed up with some posters and slammed the door.

• Like 1

You don't understand sarcasm when you see it. Another symptom of your advanced Alzheimer's perhaps?

hhahah i well know sarcasm and your example shows that sarcasm rarely works in print..

another symptom of your advanced Alzheimer's perhaps?

And of course your reply to me gives maybe an insight into why you are treated with contempt!!bah.gif

How anal....

The troll returns!

I'll bet there's a hell of a lot more to this PM story than is being told here..

The lady doth protest too much methinks!

No, the lady would really like to see the full story [truth] bought out..facepalm.gif

Edited by andreandre

How anal....

The troll returns!

I'll bet there's a hell of a lot more to this PM story than is being told here..

The lady doth protest too much methinks!

No, the lady would really like to see the full story [truth] bought out..facepalm.gif

The lady should be careful what she wishes for, methinks biggrin.png

• Like 1