Wannabee / Pretend riders

Gweiloman

I've recently been PM'd by a poster calling me a wannabee and a pretend rider. As English is not my native tongue, I was confused, to say the least.

I am not a "pretend" rider - I do ride, around Bangkok, off road, on the track and touring as well. Can anyone shed any light as to what's a wannabee and pretend rider? I have asked the question directly to the abovementioned poster but he has studiously avoided answering any direct questions.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a wannabe rider....definitely wannabe riding right now...but am overseas.

Not what they meant though. Usually meant as a slur; sometimes deserved, other times it's a n00b trying to degrade someone else. In my book a pretend rider is someone who talks shit but is only on a 7-11 scooter or even worst; doesn't have a bike.

Anybody who gets out and rides, regardless of skill levels or bike, is ok to a real rider.

• Like 1

Some guys need to put others down to make themselves feel better... How bizarre, someone sending a PM just to slag off the recipient (without prior conversation or exchanges).

I'd love to upgrade my bike and I wonna ride more, much more...

I am not a "pretend" rider - I do ride, around Bangkok, off road, on the track and touring as well. Can anyone shed any light as to what's a wannabee and pretend rider?

to answer your question let me know what kind of horse do you ride? a pedigreed thoroughbred registered in the national stud book?

• Like 2

It takes control and technique to ride the wife's 135 or the Sportster,

Or an automatic legs-through lady in skirt bike or a 1300 turbo Honda.

Sure the Sportster and especially the big Honda takes more control,

and better judgement, but that doesn't mean you can't die horribly

on the small bike for not being in control.

If you can get out do your business and get home safe to are a real rider.

Not being in an organized group of macho men who ride together, does't mean

you couldn't sit down on any of their bikes and do a 1,000 km on it without incident.

A pretender can not ride anything. Simple as that. If some troll has a specific level of

technique he sees as a line of demarcation, that is his arbitrary line and means nothing to me.

Edited by animatic

Sorry, sounds like a troll thread to me. Someone hacked Gweiloman's account?

No wantan, no one hacked my account. For some reason, one poster has taken it upon himself to educate me on the finer points of riding, road safety etc etc biggrin.png

• Like 1

I call myself a normal rider.

A wannabe rider pretends to be a rider is the one sending pms or stalking other's posts i believe to cover his impotence.

And dont ignore. Just report that poster to the mods. I am sure it is the same poster sending me annoying pms.

Although i reported it and many stalking posts with personal attacks, nothing has been done.

I hope after seeing this thread, mods act.

• Like 2

I actually consider myself a pretend rider now that I only have a scooter.whistling.gif

Sorry for being a poseur guys but I'm still going to hang on this forum.

But you ride it to more than 7-11 don't you?

Don't be modest.

We know you have the tire warmers on that scooter, drag a knee and scrap the footpegs all the way to the store.

I actually consider myself a pretend rider now that I only have a scooter.whistling.gif

Sorry for being a poseur guys but I'm still going to hang on this forum.

But you ride it to more than 7-11 don't you?

Don't be modest.

We know you have the tire warmers on that scooter, drag a knee and scrap the footpegs all the way to the store.

Nope...usually I end up putting more kms on when I'm back onshore than most of the loudmouths here do in a year.

"Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really really really wanna GSXR."

smile.png

• Like 2

A wannabe rider pretends to be a rider is the one sending pms or stalking other's posts i believe to cover his impotence.

And dont ignore. Just report that poster to the mods. I am sure it is the same poster sending me annoying pms.

Although i reported it and many stalking posts with personal attacks, nothing has been done.

As i said above. Edit your preferences and ignore the member. Dont expect the mods to help you in your arguments if there is such simple solution.

• Like 1

As i said above. Edit your preferences and ignore the member. Dont expect the mods to help you in your arguments if there is such simple solution.
But it is against the forum rules to send such messages so I think ll2 suggestion is reasonable.
  • Like 2

But it is against the forum rules to send such messages so I think ll2 suggestion is reasonable.

Forum rules:

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I follow this bike forum for quite a while now. And i have noticed quite a lot members claiming to get stalked. Its interesting that these are mostly the members who describe themselves as "real riders" and who like to call others "no real riders". Seem the "The pot calling the kettle black".

• Like 1

Sorry, sounds like a troll thread to me. Someone hacked Gweiloman's account?

No wantan, no one hacked my account. For some reason, one poster has taken it upon himself to educate me on the finer points of riding, road safety etc etc biggrin.png

Just go to your Settings, open "Ignore Preferences" and add the user to be ignored for messages. I havent tested it but it should work.

Such thread is pretty useless. Just another chance for some people to state that they are "real riders". This forum is open to everyone as it is part of TV. You dont need to be a "real rider" (whatever this means) to post here and share your opinion. Just a bit more respect for the others and a bit less arrogance and everything will be fine. Most of this bickering only happens because "real riders" start telling others that they "do not even ride" or "only ride to 7/11" or "ride a scooter" and such BS. Imo the people who want a "real bike forum" for "real riders" should go and look somewhere else as here at TV we always will have members who are no "hardcore riders". And for me and most others this is OK.

Yes. This forum is open for all. And i really dont care the riding level of users here. It is all about information and sharing it if it is a forum. So one might ride a scoot but might now alot of things about bikes.

But also there are some rules and informal rules as well.

This thread is direct to the point.

I dont want someone stalking my posts, sending me annoying pms and answer them just to say something.

• Like 2