Local Charities

narkeddiver

Hi,

I've been nominated to do the ice bucket challenge but I would prefer to donate to a local Chiang Mai charity

Does anyone have any suggestions for a worthy cause? (Ex-pats beer funds, condo restoration projects and businesses are excluded ;))

Thanks in advance

What's an ice bucket challenge?

Oh, for the record, Lanna Care Net doesn't give money directly to foreigners even if they are in need (we help them to locate sources of assistance -- often sources are available but aren't known), but LCN does have costs for printing, website, telephone time, etc.

Edited by NancyL

Oh, for the record, Lanna Care Net doesn't give money directly to foreigners even if they are in need (we help them to locate sources of assistance -- often sources are available but aren't known), but LCN does have costs for printing, website, telephone time, etc.

The ice bucket challenge is the current charity fad raising funds for ALS in the UK (and the US as well I believe)

You get nominated my friends(!) to donate money and pour a bucket of ice water over yourself (from what I understand the feeling of the icy water is similar to the feeling of nerves in an ALS sufferer). Once you've completed the challenge you nominate others - pretty clever viral marketing

Having been nominated myself I figured that I'd donate to a local charity rather than donate to a UK charity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge

Here, taking the challenge, are a bunch of celebrities--real and imagined. (Includes Oprah, George W. Bush and Kermit the Frog among others.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/virals/11040688/Ice-bucket-challenge-40-of-the-best-videos-so-far.html

And, for the people of Gaza, the rubble bucket challenge is bringing awareness to their needs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/gaza/11054873/Rubble-Bucket-Challenge-launched-in-Gaza.html

For those who's thinking of doing the ice bucket challenge, may want to consider doing it at a swimming pool using the pool water. Not to waste water. Just a suggestion:)

Edited by Cpkt8
  • Like 1

it is a personal choice if you give to a certain charity or not.the ice bucket challenge is silly I think.but if you want to donate look around cm and decide yourself

Isn't the main point of thaivisa.com to save you much of the time and trouble it would take if you were to just go it alone by accessing the experience and knowledge of others?

For those who's thinking of doing the ice bucket challenge, may want to consider doing it at a swimming pool using the pool water. Not to waste water. Just a suggestion:)

And try to overcome their deep insecurity and desperate need for attention by posting it on Facebook...