Seeking input for E petition to Maya mall practices

CobraSnakeNecktie

Hey All

I plan to start a E petition to get Maya Shopping center to stop playing these obnoxious announcement tones every 5 minutes.

Even with the windows shut and A/C blasting at Hillside 4 the sounds are so intrusive.

Anyone living near Maya has heard them.

They are actually Japanese subway soundset.

They play them before they play these canned advertisements for 10% off blah blah.

I was thinking of using a site like IPetition to collect signatures. http://www.ipetitions.com/

Anyone have any input for which petition website to use? What kind of wording to use etc?

I don't want to be insulting to the managers but it's very inconsiderate behaviour on their part.

Let's hear some ideas. Thanks

fyi. there was a paper petition a while back to get Maya to turn off the big LCD screens at night. The petition seemed to be effective because they mostly turn off the big east facing screen after 11 pm... Unfortunately they sometimes let it run all night but at least its not the normal anymore.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I live much closer to Maya than Hillside, and never hear so much as a chirp, but I am at ground level. Maybe the elvation of your room is the problem.

I do however, hear the door chimes from the local 7/11 when the wind is in the right direction smile.png

• Like 2

I live much closer to Maya than Hillside, and never hear so much as a chirp, but I am at ground level. Maybe the elvation of your room is the problem.

I do however, hear the door chimes from the local 7/11 when the wind is in the right direction smile.png

Yeah I think the elevation does catch the sound more.

Same with the LCD issue.

The previous petition to turn off the big LCD's did cause them to change their policy.

It's ultimately in the Mall's self interest to be good neighbors because those neighbors are part of their customer base.

Have you tried writing to them?

Yeah I thought about it. I have them on my facebook feed.

I just kind of expect the normal Thai response of doing nothing.

It's my guess they just absent mindedly oriented the speakers straight out.

Same with the big screens. They look great from my vantage point but not very good from street level.

My thinking with the petition is that it will help fuel whoever works there to cut thru the ego's etc and actually do the right thing.

Most western businesses would have PR people out doing surveys and asking people how to improve their business.

Very uncommon to have that proactive approach in Thailand.

Have you seen a lawyer and asked him what is needed in the petition to raise it from a mere complaint to an issue they must deal with. Also there are times when face to face is the best way to handle things. You are assuming they don't know or care about it. That might not be the case.

• Like 1

I did send them a message on facebook an hour ago so I guess they are somewhat aware now.

Last time around a good number of people called and some even visited the mgmt office about the LCD hours.

Only when a lot of signatures were gathered did they act.

I don't think I want to hire a lawyer at this point since the petition was enough last time around.

I plan to do the E petiton in both Thai and english language and then pass out/carpet bomb leaflets around the area to see how many people will sign up.

Will be fairly easy to get HS 4 people on the west side but not sure about other areas. It could be the speaker is really just pointed at us.

Who knows this might be a way to get change in CM without having to buy politicians or police.

Not holding my breath however.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

^^ negative outlooks aside there have been positive changes made relative to HS4

- Next door Furama (aka HS5) used to have really loud Karoke late into the night and due to complaints and creative tactics they have really toned it down and stop the music before midnight

- A proposed 12 story project seeking a height exemption was denied due to various efforts. Only 45 meters height is permitted.

- Maya's all night east facing LCD light pollution was petitioned and they changed the policy to lights out before midnight.

Perhaps not many will care enough about this issue to actually sign an E petition. Time will tell.

It's not going to cost Maya mall any revenue or expense to make less noise outside.

So far this morning they haven't been playing the subway tones.

Perhaps their DJ is slacking off.

OP I think if you get no positive response from the shopping centre owners to your concerns you should simply write a letter to the NCPO office in Chiang Mai because from what I am reading regarding other parts of Thailand they seem to be pursuing these kinds of matterssmile.png

• Like 1

A very pleasant surprise Maya Mall turned off the outside speakers today. At least the ones facing east.

They are still playing it inside the property which is fine with me. Heard it inside when I went to Rimping an hour ago.

Hopefully it's the new everyday policy :-)

I'm not sure if their previous policy was to play it everyday or weekdays however.

Makes me want to spend more money over there because they do seem to be responsive to the community.

• Like 2

A very pleasant surprise Maya Mall turned off the outside speakers today. At least the ones facing east.

They are still playing it inside the property which is fine with me. Heard it inside when I went to Rimping an hour ago.

Hopefully it's the new everyday policy :-)

I'm not sure if their previous policy was to play it everyday or weekdays however.

Makes me want to spend more money over there because they do seem to be responsive to the community.

Give it a few days and see it it continues. then send them a "thank you" e-mail for being so considerate. smile.png

Edited by Maejo Man

Pretty sure I heard that PA again today.

My feeling is that I don't mind the announcement (as I can't really hear that), it's the sound played at the beginning, the ding-dong, that really carries. If they removed that, or maybe switched the sound to something else, it wouldn't be so polluting.

Another pollution issue is UOB's large neon sign on HK road. For rooms at the front of the building, in the evening it feels like you're in a red light zone. They switch it off around 12, but I'd prefer that they switch it off when they close for the day.

Yeah it seems it was just one day change.

They are back to the ding dong tones.

Pretty common practice in Thailand.

Crack down on road safety for a few days and back to normal practices.

Announce Thailand is hub of whatever, hold a ceremony and then nothing.

Will have the petition up in a few days.

Same thing happened with the LCD screen practices.

^^ not really. It's residential zone with plenty of "lively noise".

Many cynical/cowardly/depressed people said the same thing about proposed high rise building, LCD hours and Furama Karoke and they were completely wrong.

It will just take a few weeks or even months to see if enough people agree with a petition enough to sign it.

Now that they are back to making noise again its going to be a lot easier to get people to sign up.

Have you tried writing to them?

Yeah I thought about it. I have them on my facebook feed.

I just kind of expect the normal Thai response of doing nothing.

I think this is the reasonable first step. They may not be aware of the problem, or what's required to resolve it. I"m not sure a facebook message will cut it. I think a letter or meeting with the management office is the first step. After a week, if it's not resolved, escalate to a petition. Give that a month, if it's not resolved, escalate to a boycott. I doubt the ding-dong means that much to them unless it becomes an issue of face or battle of wills. The way to start therefore is a letter or meeting.

post-141766-0-64123100-1409494514_thumb.post-141766-0-24566200-1409494527_thumb.post-141766-0-67200600-1409494553_thumb.

CobraSnakeNecktie ,what can I say, the picture speak by himself . Pic n. 1 the view of the airport , before Maya, from my rooftop pic n. 2 look like the Titanic is in front of my penthouse and pic n. 3 is my only solution to don't get sad ….!! Anyway I don't care so much, I am already sins 1 year in Europe and reading your post I see that the situation is even worst. I hope you are successful with your petition. Good luck for the future! best regard Marco.wai2.gif

Edited by marcofrenchpolo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the petition idea is a bust. The most practical solution suggested so far, it seems, is simply to talk to the management. I rather like the letter of thanks if, in fact, the introductory sound is extraordinarily penetrating. You live quite a long way off! Regardless, anyway having to listen to a commercial message like that outside their building is being intruded upon.

By the way, there are laws about environmental sound pollution, but satisfactory settlements are made by polite negotiation (not petitions), as was done once between the Think Park and its neighbors when the Think Park was blasting away with music late into the evening.

Indeed, TIT, this IS Thailand. Matters such as this are settled differently than through means many foreigners think are effective.

Now, I suppose, we could talk about the airlines which target the Nimmenhamen-Huay Kaew intersection on take-offs to the north !! Lots of petition possibilities there, but somehow I don't think they are going to change the runway! Or negotiate !!

If these sorts of things really are bothersome (and they can be), then moving is an option.

Edited by Mapguy