Status Change And Financial Requirements

The situation is this:

Foreigner living and working in Thailand for several years on non-imm B visa with work permit loses his job.

He is married to a Thai national with a luuk kreung, what are requirements to change visa to non-imm O visa?

There are sufficient savings to support the immigration requirements for non-imm O (400,000) from the previous job. Will this be accepted or does an additional 400k need to be brought in from overseas?

The situation is this:

Foreigner living and working in Thailand for several years on non-imm B visa with work permit loses his job.

He is married to a Thai national with a luuk kreung, what are requirements to change visa to non-imm O visa?

There are sufficient savings to support the immigration requirements for non-imm O (400,000) from the previous job. Will this be accepted or does an additional 400k need to be brought in from overseas?

You pose a very good question.

Vinnys link to immigration police website does not seem to give the answer.

I do know someone who was in a similar position (but no kid). He had lost his job some months previously but remained in LOS on his B visa (don't know whether his WP was cancelled as the law requires - I never asked). He went to immigration just before his permission to stay expired. His savings were accepted, but whether that was at the imm officers discretion or is policy I don't know. He was unsure what to do and simply filled out TM7 and was given under consideration stamp and return in 28 days, when he was given an O visa. His wife did all the talking. He did not have to go through the interim "change visa" process.

But that is just one persons story.

Edited by diddlysquat

If he was here on a 90 day entry from the B visa, or the 7 days allowed for leaving the country after loss of job and on an extension of stay, have not expired, immigration should be able to extend his stay for support Thai wife (I suspect they will usually accept the 400k in a case like this).