Thailand travel insurance scheme: Success or flop?

Lite Beer

Thailand travel insurance scheme: Success or flop?

Thailand-travel-shield.jpg

Thailand – The special online insurance coverage scheme known as the “Thailand Travel Shield” was initiated by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to help visitors who wish to travel to Thailand but are unable to get insurance coverage in their own countries due to the travel advisories imposed by various foreign governments.

Thailand’s independently-launched insurance coverage policy for visitors has received 219 applicants from 44 countries in the first month after its formal launch, with a total premium value of 493,100 Baht.

Thailand travel shieldThe largest number of applicants received in the period July 24 – August 21, 2014 are from Italy (72), followed by Australia (18) and Canada (16).

Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Thawatchai Arunyik said: “We are very encouraged by this result. It shows that the project is off to a good start. We anticipate that additional marketing and word-of-mouth publicity will help it become more widely-known and help visitors to travel to Thailand with complete peace of mind.”

The insurance coverage is available via four reputed, publicly-listed Thai insurance companies: Muang Thai Insurance, Chao Phaya Insurance, Siam City Insurance and Krungthai Panich Insurance. Visitors can buy the insurance coverage online for a broad range of unforeseen events ranging from accidents, trip cancellation, loss or damage of baggage/personal belongings, emergency hotel accommodation, etc.

These travel insurance policies provide instant coverage up to the value of 1,000,000 Baht or 2,000,000 Baht for a period of coverage that ranges up to 60 days, but it can also cover visitors making annual trips to Thailand.

The scheme is being publicized worldwide by TAT through its international offices, and strategic partners, as well as marketed online through the website:

http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/

In addition, everyone purchasing this insurance can take advantage of the 24-hour emergency assistance offered by the well-known Allianz Global Assistance.

The Medical and Travel Assistance Services will allow visitors to get pre-trip information; such as, inoculations, weather, exchange rates, telephone medical advice, medical service provider referral, assistance in case of loss of luggage/passport assistance, and embassy referral.

Visitors availing of the scheme are also advised to read the fine print to see what is excluded from the coverage; such as, accidents while under the influence of alcohol, indulging in extreme sports, motorcycle riding, getting involved in public brawls, etc.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-08-30

Their website is a little bit short on detail and works like it was designed by a ten-year-old.

No T&C's available and very little substantial detail of the benefits and exclusions.

My immediate questions are --

Does an annual policy cover more than one trip?

What is the process in the event of an incident and I am unconscious ?

How does the repatriation work and where to ? Is it all the way home or just to the main airport?

There's lots more but it'd be nice to find some source of authoritative answers :)

• Like 2

“...to help visitors who wish to travel to Thailand but are unable to get insurance coverage in their own countries due to the travel advisories imposed by various foreign governments."

Rather than sort out the reasons why the travel advisories are imposed, a “scheme” to circumvent them is proposed.

Doh! We need them falang dollars...blink.png

“...a total premium value of 493,100 Baht."

Whoop Di Doo!

A maximum of $16,433.

And good luck getting anything close to that...wai2.gif wai.gif

Website is anything but professional.

I tried to even enter my birthday, and had to click, click, click + 50 ++clicks, , through the calendar to go back some 50 years ..whistling.gif

Who does this stuff and are they paid ?cheesy.gif

Details are not even vague and open to interpretation, usually by the one holding the $$.sad.png

Would be nice if they fix it and the insurance is actually valid.blink.png

Website is anything but professional.

I tried to even enter my birthday, and had to click, click, click + 50 ++clicks, , through the calendar to go back some 50 years ..whistling.gif

Who does this stuff and are they paid ?cheesy.gif

Details are not even vague and open to interpretation, usually by the one holding the $$.sad.png

Would be nice if they fix it and the insurance is actually valid.blink.png

There's 4 companies apparently backing this scheme -

Muang Thai Insurance,

http://www.muangthai.co.th/webmtl/

https://online.muangthaiinsurance.com/webapps/mti/ContactUs.aspx

Who appear to use the same online application system

https://online.muangthaiinsurance.com/webapps/mti/secure_apps/MTIProducts.aspx

Chao Phaya Insurance,

http://www.cpyins.com/

but they seem to have some website issues sad.png

They are linked by the BP but I can't post that here wink.png

Siam City Insurance

http://www.scil.co.th/index_e.htm

http://www.siamcityins.com/index_eng.php

Who use the same form

http://www.siamcityinsurance.com/travel.php

but at least there's Terms and Conditions

https://www.siamcityinsurance.com/pdf/General_Condition.pdf

as well as Coverage details

https://www.siamcityinsurance.com/pdf/Coverages_Detail.pdf

Krungthai Panich Insurance.

http://www.kpi.co.th/en/

http://www.kpi.co.th/en/contact-us.php

I've added all these links as reference because I hope a few people will take the time to read some of the blurb and see if we can make sense of what's being offered smile.png

Edited by jpinx

Looks as if more is not covered than is.......

Exclusions for medical expenses due to accident or sickness

This insurance does not cover any loss or injury arising from/or in consequence of the following causes:

1. The Company will not be responsible for the medical expense of the following sickness.

1.1 Tumor or Cancer

1.2 Hemorrhoids

1.3 Hernias

1.4 Pterygium, Pinguecula, Cataract

1.5 Tonsillectomy or Adenoidectomy

1.6 Stones

1.7 Endometriosis

2. The treatment of chronic symptoms or any sickness, which is pre-existing medical status before the effective date

of this insurance policy including symptom or complication state that might be appeared later.

3. Action of the Insured while under the influence of alcohol, addictive drugs or narcotic drugs to the extent of being

unable to control oneBs mind. The term Cunder the influence of alcoholD incase of having a blood test refers to a

blood/alcohol level of 150 mg percent and over.

4. Suicide or attempted suicide or self-inflicted

5. Miscarriage and abortion ..............................................................and another page full of exclusions

That's a more extensive list of exclusions than usual, but it is a cheap insurance. ;)

I still can not work out what the "annual" package really is.

They talk about 60 days maximum per trip and coverage being between entry and exit, but then they have the annual plan, so I suppose one becomes an "insurance runner" and goes out and in every 2 months to re-ignite the insurance cover? That's not a big issue for someone with multiple re-entries and who travels around a bit anyway.

Covers you for 12 months, but only in thailand! If your out of the country for 24 hours doing border runs etc, you are not covered! I'm presuming this insurance is available for any foreigner living in thailand and it doesn't matter what visa your on. In other words, you wouldn't buy an annual insurance for thailand if your a tourist as you can only stay for 6 months per year.insurance is a minefield and does my head in trying to read all the inclusions and exclusions. All the pre existing conditions etc. this insurance at least will give you a piece of mind when it comes to accidents, so long as your not pissed etc! Seems reasonably priced too, compared with some of the UK insurances on offer.

Covers you for 12 months, but only in thailand! If your out of the country for 24 hours doing border runs etc, you are not covered! I'm presuming this insurance is available for any foreigner living in thailand and it doesn't matter what visa your on. In other words, you wouldn't buy an annual insurance for thailand if your a tourist as you can only stay for 6 months per year.insurance is a minefield and does my head in trying to read all the inclusions and exclusions. All the pre existing conditions etc. this insurance at least will give you a piece of mind when it comes to accidents, so long as your not pissed etc! Seems reasonably priced too, compared with some of the UK insurances on offer.

You have to exit the country every two months too

3. Action of the Insured while under the influence of alcohol, addictive drugs or narcotic drugs to the extent of being

unable to control oneBs mind. The term Cunder the influence of alcoholD incase of having a blood test refers to a

blood/alcohol level of 150 mg percent and over.

4. Suicide or attempted suicide or self-inflicted

The above conditions will probably rule out most " tourists" in Pattaya, Phuket and alkies...

I think success would be measured by additional tourists and that is not happening.

Thailand must be moving to the edge of recession now, or at least very close.

Usually happens when the inexperienced start running the show however good their intentions.

Yes - that's my take on it too. It's designed for travelling tourists rather than longer term stayers. It doesn't specifically say "multiple trips", but that is the inference of the annual policy, otherwise it would be a nonsense.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

“...to help visitors who wish to travel to Thailand but are unable to get insurance coverage in their own countries due to the travel advisories imposed by various foreign governments."

Rather than sort out the reasons why the travel advisories are imposed, a “scheme” to circumvent them is proposed.

Doh! We need them falang dollars... alt=blink.png>

Whoop Di Doo!

A maximum of $16,433.

And good luck getting anything close to that...wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> wai.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

493,100 / 219 = 2251.60 Baht Premium for 60 days up to 1,000,000 Baht coverage. This is about on par with BUPA silver package.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Doh! We need them falang dollars... alt=blink.png>

Whoop Di Doo!

A maximum of $16,433.

And good luck getting anything close to that...wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> wai.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

493,100 / 219 = 2251.60 Baht Premium for 60 days up to 1,000,000 Baht coverage. This is about on par with BUPA silver package.

Dunno what you're trying to calculate, but the60 day premium is 1700 Baht :)

See the Premium Table ...

http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/

I took the time to read the details. And I have a bit of experience on this issue both here in LOS and in USA.

Its really a shame that this is so poorly designed and managed. With the cost of healthcare here it should be easy to underwrite a low cost policy for people visiting aged 18-55, for example. Of course, the big question mark is - how many people can they get enrolled? This will drive price, and to some extent the exclusions. They will have several problems that they will not be able to get around: they will have to exclude a lot of the activities that tourists do when here - including motorcycles, scuba diving, as well as alcohol issues.

But it really seems to me there should be a way to make this work and be profitable.

First they need to fix the trainwreck website and PR communications. That there are so many companies involved - leads me to wonder if getting someone to manage it was a problem; delegation of responsibility, etc.

Edited by Minnehaha

I took the time to read the details. And I have a bit of experience on this issue both here in LOS and in USA.

Its really a shame that this is so poorly designed and managed. With the cost of healthcare here it should be easy to underwrite a low cost policy for people visiting aged 18-55, for example. Of course, the big question mark is - how many people can they get enrolled? This will drive price, and to some extent the exclusions. They will have several problems that they will not be able to get around: they will have to exclude a lot of the activities that tourists do when here - including motorcycles, scuba diving, as well as alcohol issues.

But it really seems to me there should be a way to make this work and be profitable.

First they need to fix the trainwreck website and PR communications. That there are so many companies involved - leads me to wonder if getting someone to manage it was a problem; delegation of responsibility, etc.

I agree - and they desperately need international customer relations too ! You want to form a group and propose something to them ? ;)

I checked it out and am sure I read age limit is 70 I am 73 so no good for me. I am from New Zealand and age limit is the same.

Can't say I noticed an age limit, but whatever -- you might want to check out the Bangkok Bank PA insurance.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/Bancassurance/NonLifeInsurance/Pages/PA1st.aspx

I think the only way to get insurance whilst in Thailand long term is to make it up from multiple providers, some health, some PA, etc....

"" I agree - and they desperately need international customer relations too ! You want to form a group and propose something to them ? wink.png ""

May be the only way something realistic ever gets done . What is desired and what is offered are a long way apart.

BUT will they just view us a stupid Farang telling us what to do again ?? tongue.pngbeatdeadhorse.gif

Given the number of tourists that are retirees, by limiting the policies to those under 55 they would be excluding a large percentage of potential purchasers. And for it to work, they need as many as possible to sign up.

I think the idea is a good one, if it can be offered cheaply enough (and I think 1700 Baht for 60 days is very reasonable) and is promoted well. It could eliminate the problem of foreigners using the health service and being unable to pay. But it needs to be widely advertised to tourists, and should be made easily available, like having a well signed counter in immigration at the airport where you can buy it on the spot. And maybe leaflets explaining what it is and what it costs handed out with the arrival cards you get on the plane prior to landing. Not so difficult, and minimal cost with maximum exposure.

As it stands, most tourists travelling to Thailand will have no idea it exists. I certainly wouldn't know about it had I not read about it here on TVF. And if you have to buy it online before you travel, then you need to know of its existence in advance.

• Like 1

"You have to exit the country every two months too" What do You mean ????? Visa ???

"You have to exit the country every two months too" What do You mean ????? Visa ???

Read the conditions for the insurance. The 12 months coverage is only good for 60 day stays at a time. ie Border runs are needed.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just a European thing (I'm American) but I have never been able to understand the point of travel insurance. Medical insurance abroad, I can understand -- if your health insurance back home won't help you overseas. But coverage for lost bags, flight cancellations, etc. -- why bother? In most cases, the airline itself will make good on some or most of your losses. In other cases, if you have a good credit card, they will also help out. In many years of extensive travel throughout my life, I've never come up against a situation where I wished I had travel insurance. When I add up what I've saved over the years by NOT purchasing, the savings alone will have covered many of my trips abroad.

True, me too. For me, the reason i would want the insurance is if i need to cancel the trip. But the trip cancellation clauses in most policies don't cover any reason that i think might actually happen to me. So why bother? I just take the risk that i don't get sick before i fly. Other probable reasons i wouldn't go aren't covered, so can't include them as a risk.

This stuff is travel insurance not health insurance right?

All this does is to compensate for losses incurred due to force majeur and issues like that. Well, isn't this just a sneaky way to let Thai airways off the hook to accomodate and compensate people? This just replaces the credit card coverage you may have which might be voided by closing the airport or the such.