Jomtien Tree Maintenance

ThaiBob

I use the word maintenance incorrectly, butchering is a better word. No one is disputing the need for pruning trees for many reasons. Remove dead limbs or limbs that could be a safety hazard, maintain clearances for utilities, etc. However, the way they hacked the hell out of trees on northern Dongtan beach, I suspect many trees will not survive. I personally think the contractor hired to do this work is not competent.

post-9935-0-47301200-1409386629_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-98511300-1409386688_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-93111500-1409386740_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Looks like the umbrella folk did not like the competition.

I remember when they did a similar trim job to the old trees on Beach Rd Pattaya, the trees defied all predictions and recovered, unfortunately they did not survive the "modernisation" of the "beach-front".

• Like 1

Looks like the umbrella folk did not like the competition.

I remember when they did a similar trim job to the old trees on Beach Rd Pattaya, the trees defied all predictions and recovered, unfortunately they did not survive the "modernisation" of the "beach-front".

They get an idea in their head (e.g. trees are bad) and out come the chainsaws. They do it too often and are way too agressive about it. They did not just "trim" them; unfortunately, they removed several of them, and those trees will never come back. That section is the only one left with a lot of old-growth trees. Now it looks like a scene out of the movie Platoon. Somebody has a big screw lose--killing old growth trees in Pattaya to make a very boring, dull, flat walking path, and killing old growth trees all along the beach in Jomtien for no reason whatsoever. Thais need to learn something about biology (botany) and environmental science.

• Like 1

Did same between night market and Jomtien Beach Condo. Now I do my morning walk on away side because some shade from buildings. I have similar photos. When they were doing this travesty I asked high mucky muck why: "Crime suppression" was his nonsense answer. I figure umbrella mafia and restaurants wanting "view" for customers....

Did same between night market and Jomtien Beach Condo. Now I do my morning walk on away side because some shade from buildings. I have similar photos. When they were doing this travesty I asked high mucky muck why: "Crime suppression" was his nonsense answer. I figure umbrella mafia and restaurants wanting "view" for customers....

The beach concessionaires I talked to were very unhappy, they lost the shade provided by the trees. They know complaining is futile because they must do as they are told. They asked me to complain to city hall as they felt complaints from tourists and foreign residents would carry more weight.
  • Like 2

Every time they prune the trees on Beach Rd or Jomtien all the palm tree experts who were formerly resident where palm trees have never existed make their predictable noise about death and destruction ... and of course the trees come back stronger and healthier.

When they planted trees following the latest redo of the road and walkways on Beach Rd, there was endless whining about how they were doing it all wrong. And yet ...

It's the low season. The rains are getting under way. They'll be unsightly for awhile and by the time the refugees from northern winters return they'll be fine.

It's like some people head out the door each morning in search of something new to kvetch about.

Edited by Suradit69

Every time they prune the trees on Beach Rd or Jomtien all the palm tree experts who were formerly resident where palm trees have never existed make their predictable noise about death and destruction ... and of course the trees come back stronger and healthier.

When they planted trees following the latest redo of the road and walkways on Beach Rd, there was endless whining about how they were doing it all wrong. And yet ...

It's the low season. The rains are getting under way. They'll be unsightly for awhile and by the time the refugees from northern winters return they'll be fine.

It's like some people head out the door each morning in search of something new to kvetch about.

And some people are clueless about the right way and wrong to perform a job. I am not a tree hugger, but I do know the difference between tree pruning and butchery. Last time the tree "maintenance" was less severe and it took about 2-3 years before they looked like trees again. You can still see the stumps near the water park from the last attack. The tree squirrels scattered and some were captured, one was a rare white squirrel (maybe to be sold at ChatuChak Market).

• Like 1

And some people are clueless about the right way and wrong to perform a job. I am not a tree hugger, but I do know the difference between tree pruning and butchery. Last time the tree "maintenance" was less severe and it took about 2-3 years before they looked like trees again. You can still see the stumps near the water park from the last attack. The tree squirrels scattered and some were captured, one was a rare white squirrel (maybe to be sold at ChatuChak Market).

Agreed, and as for Suradit69's comments, they have not touched "palm trees," which make me think he/she has not even seen what they did! They are cutting down the old-growth trees that sort of resemble pine species. They are also cutting down/killing the "lom/umbrella" trees, which are the most beautiful trees on the beach (IMHO). "Topping" trees is not good practice. If you "Google" the subject, virtually no one argues that it is a good/smart thing to do.

Six important facts to remember about tree topping:

tree_t1.gifTopping will not make trees safe-it actually creates hazardous tree situations.

tree_t1.gifTopping destroys a tree's ability to produce food.

tree_t1.gifTopping invites disease, insects, defects and rot.

tree_t1.gifTopping is expensive and a waste of money.

tree_t1.gifTopping creates increased maintenance needs.

tree_t1.gifTopping makes trees ugly.

• Like 1

A tragedy but lets not forget that every chocolate or coffee with non dairy powdered creamer is decimation of Indonesian rainforests turned into palm oil plantations.

Consumers watch their reality shows oblivious to it all.... perhaps materialism is the problem.

How many homes does a person need?

I do not understand the city's way of doing things such as maintenance of the city.Who ever is in charge of a project.... cleaning out the sewers, repairing the sidewalk, trimming trees (note, I said "trimming") they will hire the cheapest group of people to accomplish a task. It is so obvious that the Thais (or Burmese...or Cambodians?) do not know what they are doing. If I was City Hall I would be embarrassed , but I suppose the headman in charge pockets what was budgeted for the project. But doesn't the city officials know it is best to have the job done correctly the first place? But butchering trees will continue because in Thai society you do not complain...you keep your mouth shut...even give a smile and the #hit in this city without class continues.

• Like 1