Why Do You Like Living in Thailand?

strabel23

Really!!! Now be honest folks.

I read a lot of complaints about being treated as a Falang with all the related discrimination, corruption, being over charged as a Falang, visa problems, dangerous driving conditions, etc. etc. and I can't say that I disagree with any of them.

So what brought you here to Thailand and what keeps you here?

For me I first came here because a friend told me this was his favorite country to visit when he travelled throughout Asia 22 years ago. Things have definitely changed since then.

I had just gotten out of a bad relationship so I would have gone anywhere and so my friend's suggestion was easy for me to make my decision to come here to see what it was all about.

I ended up meeting a beautiful Thai woman and have been together with her ever since. However I left Thailand 7 years ago and can't seem to find much of a reason anymore to want to live here for the rest of my existence.

What's your story.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dream country was Japan. I eventually made it in May 1988, after three years in South-Korea...hated it....left fifteen days later.

Going back to SK was not an option? One of friends suggested a holiday ( give some time to think it over ) to Thailand ( had never heard of it )

Of course, with some money in the pocket life was as good as it could get, but a year later, as cheap as it could be, I realised that I needed to make some more and went to Europe....but had got the virus + feeling different + being considered above average pushed me back here in 1992

Been here ever since

It was difficult to adjust at the beginning, compared to hard working people from South Korea or Hong Kong but easy life weighed more in the balance

It would be difficult for me to live in Europe

OP, if you left Thailand and you are not interested, ever, to come back, why do you care why others like living here?

And did you ever before read any threads on TV?

This is at least the 20th thread with the same subject.

Stay where you are, and let the rest of us, living here, enjoy Thailand.

My dream country was Japan. I eventually made it in May 1988, after three years in South-Korea...hated it....left fifteen days later.

Going back to SK was not an option? One of friends suggested a holiday ( give some time to think it over ) to Thailand ( had never heard of it )

Of course, with some money in the pocket life was as good as it could get, but a year later, as cheap as it could be, I realised that I needed to make some more and went to Europe....but had got the virus + feeling different + being considered above average pushed me back here in 1992

Been here ever since

It was difficult to adjust at the beginning, compared to hard working people from South Korea or Hong Kong but easy life weighed more in the balance

I can understand why you didn't like Japan. Quite a contrast between countries.

So what you're saying is that you live here because it's cheap and you're treated better as a person (considered above average) than you would be if you were to live in Europe?

How would you rate your quality of life considering the area where you are presently living, accommodation, diet and entertainment?

Are there any annoyances you have to deal with here that sometimes can be overwhelming such as traffic congestion including Thai driving style. Pollution such as reckless disregard for the environment including littering in sea/beach areas and on the street. Lack of general cleanliness for example buildings/homes that have never been painted and have turned blackish in color, yards that are not maintained and are full of weeds etc.

How do you feel about being discriminated against and being charged for goods and services the Falang rate which can sometimes be double or even more such as entrance fee to state parks etc.?

All in all do you feel that your reasons for being here compensate you enough to justify remaining in this country indefinitely as long as you have the resources to do so?

Are there any other reasons you want to live in Thailand that you did not mention such as having a Thai wife and Family?

You have been here for a long time, how do you spend each day and do you ever find that you're bored?

I appreciate your response to my questions because I am presently in Thailand with my wife and have to make a decision to either live here again or sell our property and go back to my home country. The difference this time is that our son is now an adult and has decided he would rather live in my home country and has gone back already. I agree with you that it is cheaper to live here but I have to consider that with all of the other inconveniences of this country is it worth it? I assume that probably a lot of the foreigners presently living here are here for the availability of Thai women but once you have found someone that you can trust and live with is it worth it to stay any longer?

Been here ever since

So what you're saying is that you live here because it's cheap and you're treated better as a person (considered above average) than you would be if you were to live in Europe?

How would you rate your quality of life considering the area where you are presently living, accommodation, diet and entertainment?

Are there any annoyances you have to deal with here that sometimes can be overwhelming such as traffic congestion including Thai driving style. Pollution such as reckless disregard for the environment including littering in sea/beach areas and on the street. Lack of general cleanliness for example buildings/homes that have never been painted and have turned blackish in color, yards that are not maintained and are full of weeds etc.

How do you feel about being discriminated against and being charged for goods and services the Falang rate which can sometimes be double or even more such as entrance fee to state parks etc.?

All in all do you feel that your reasons for being here compensate you enough to justify remaining in this country indefinitely as long as you have the resources to do so?

Are there any other reasons you want to live in Thailand that you did not mention such as having a Thai wife and Family?

You have been here for a long time, how do you spend each day and do you ever find that you're bored?

I appreciate your response to my questions because I am presently in Thailand with my wife and have to make a decision to either live here again or sell our property and go back to my home country. The difference this time is that our son is now an adult and has decided he would rather live in my home country and has gone back already. I agree with you that it is cheaper to live here but I have to consider that with all of the other inconveniences of this country is it worth it? I assume that probably a lot of the foreigners presently living here are here for the availability of Thai women but once you have found someone that you can trust and live with is it worth it to stay any longer?

why would what other people feel about it affect your decision?

I've liked living in every place I've ever lived.

For what reason? Are you single and enjoy the bar life and that is all you want. If so I can understand that.

How do you spend each day and where are you presently living in Thailand?

i spend each day doing things I enjoy.

There are a few reasons I don't like living here and Many reasons I like living here but I think the main reason i like is that I can go about my life and not be bothered. Thais seem to have a more live and let live attitude than other people around the world. Farangs here and in my home country are always judging and trying to push their beliefs on others. Thai people just live for the day and let you do same.

My avatar is my girlfriend. That's why I'm here. That's why I'm staying. Any questions?

Yes that was my original reason for staying in Thailand also but my wife is willing to live in my home country and did so for 7 years. We have a house in the country and land in Phuket but my wife doesn't like it there. I could push her to build another house in Phuket but quite frankly I don't know if even I would like it there anymore myself.

I have an acquaintance that lived in Koh Samui until he found a Thai lady that he liked well enough to want to marry her and afterwards they moved to her home area and built a nice house amongst the rice fields and Palm trees. I guess the reasoning was that it was much cheaper there than Koh Samui. He's been living there for 2 years now and wonders if anyone might want to buy his house. He's bored crazy and even though he's still happy with his wife it's just not enough anymore.

Where are you living and how long have you been there for? Are you able to purchase familiar foods or are you satisfied with a Thai diet?

There are a few reasons I don't like living here and Many reasons I like living here but I think the main reason i like is that I can go about my life and not be bothered. Thais seem to have a more live and let live attitude than other people around the world. Farangs here and in my home country are always judging and trying to push their beliefs on others. Thai people just live for the day and let you do same.

Before I left the USA for Thailand, if I met anyone new, I could almost see the internal calculus of: Can this person help me more than I can help him? And if the answer was NO they would drop you cold. Other than some Thai people here I don't bother meeting new people at all.

It's not perfect, nowhere is, but in my opinion the good outweighs the bad.

SDM

You are right. Nothing is perfect and perfection is in the eyes of the beholder anyway. Perfection is impossible but what is tolerable is then the question and this varies with each individual. So then in your opinion what do you consider to be the good in Thailand as opposed to and outweighs the good in your home country?

I've liked living in every place I've ever lived.

For what reason? Are you single and enjoy the bar life and that is all you want. If so I can understand that.

How do you spend each day and where are you presently living in Thailand?

i spend each day doing things I enjoy.

Since you have been here many years, are extremely content and wanting for nothing, and so a source of valuable information, why not reply to him in a manner that is helpful and mentoring, rather than snide and judgmental?

It's not perfect, nowhere is, but in my opinion the good outweighs the bad.

SDM

You are right. Nothing is perfect and perfection is in the eyes of the beholder anyway. Perfection is impossible but what is tolerable is then the question and this varies with each individual. So then in your opinion what do you consider to be the good in Thailand as opposed to and outweighs the good in your home country?

Happy to answer that.

We used to come to Thailand every three months, for a month, and did that for about 15 years. I know that this was the holiday experience but still enjoyed it here. After my first few trips I stopped holidaying in other countries. I met my wife about 13 years ago and we lived in the UK shortly after marrying, but continued as I say, to holiday here. We had a boy about 8 years ago and it made me look very hard at life, before that I had a very much carefree kind of attitude. I felt, and still feel, that the UK is becoming far too " cosmopolitan ". I started to look at schools and found that I didn't want to send him to state schools and the private schools although starting off very reasonably, soon became very expensive. Financially I have an Estate Agent in North West London (yawn) that is well established and does very well, so had the opportunity to come here, have enough money and return home to resume my old life if it all went wrong. The other driving reason is that ultimately I wanted to retire here and if we didn't move when we did then my boy would have been too old to relocate.

So, reasons to leave my home ;

1. Shocking state of the government school system, and in no way the teachers fault

2. The massive amount of migration from other EU countries. I'm not rascist but when a school class has 30 kids and 15 of them don't speak English as a first language if at all, then there is a problem somewhere.

3. The UK is so PC gone mad that the "Religion of Peace" is starting to affect local communities in a big way

4. I could do it financially and had a good exit plan if it went wrong. So I did.

There are many other reasons, but these are the main ones.

Reasons to come here ;

1. I've always been very happy here, even once I started " enjoying", and I use that term loosely, the expat experience rather than the holiday experience.

2. I'm delighted with the school my son attends, it's private and really very good. He speaks English, as he always did, Thai completely fluently, and will soon start Chinese.

3. I was very bored with my retirement, even though I remained involved with my UK firm, but set up an Estate Agency here a few years ago which I enjoy.

There are other reasons, but these are the ones that come to mind.

SDM

Been here ever since

why would what other people feel about it affect your decision?

Because maybe I'm missing something and after living in this country for so many years I'm curious as to others reasons for being here and so decided to do some research to compare my analogy.