Why Do You Like Living in Thailand?

strabel23

I had a 4 month holiday in Thailand with my Thai wife in 2014 absolutely loved it. Then came back to NZ to all the rules, Hate it. Can't wait to get back to Thailand.coffee1.gif

big difference between an extended holiday and actually living in a place full time

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read this posts with some interest, primarily because the only real reasons I have seen for living in Thailand seem to be cost of living, weather and women. Based on a lot of farangs I have met, they were unhappy people in their own country, they couldn't get a decent relationship (and confuse paying for a relationship versus what they considered was "true love" back home), and many are just running from their bleak lives. Not to bash farangs here, but I hear terms such as "freedom" but no one really seems to be able to define it, especially by providing some "freedom" they did not have at home. Now, some farangs have more money than others, and I understand how getting a much nicer home makes sense, but as a single person I really don't need more than a studio. Most people have multiple negatives, but very few specific positives that really differ that much from home. The issues I see people have had in their own country (exclude weather) are not comparable to living in Thailand, because you did not live a comparable lifestyle. I think a lot of the "freedom" here is just that because we are foreigners, we just don't care about what happens around us, although you could do the same in your own country. I read a lot about how Thais are helpful but people "back home" won't lift a finger to help. Personally I don't buy into that, I've found people in most areas to be pretty helpful. My best example is back home, if you were eating a meal and a rat ran across your foot, you would have a fit, maybe even try to sue the owners, or call the health department. Here you just say "TIT" and continue munching. Ask yourself why is that ok in Thailand, but you wouldn't like it in your own country. Is it that your expectations have dropped so much (i.e. freedom) because this is a 'developing' country? I can't say much about relationships and the inability for people to find a woman back home. But I believe if you lived the same lifestyle here back home, things would be similar. For the most part, since not very many of us speak or read Thai well, we just kind of wander through life here oblivious to our surroundings. We could walk right under a banner that said "farangs suck" and not even notice, and therefore we don't care. I don't mind Thailand, it's certainly no paradise, but I'll be moving back home because I can live for the same monthly amount, I can enjoy a much better infrastructure and traffic control, and I don't have a rat running across my foot (although I guess for some that's part of the exotic side of Thailand). And, if I have a heart attack, I can all paramedics who will arrive timely, be trained to assist, and probably save my life rather than have 30 people standing around taking camera photos while the police leave me alone to direct traffic. There are some things I like here, but the majority of "happy" people here seem to be that way due to their woman (or women), and it's unfortunate that back home they couldn't find the same. Just easier to buy, rent or employ here (and yes, if you are paying her some monthly money, she's pretty much considered "employed" by Thai thoughts. You are paying her to take care of you, it's just much cheaper to do so here (as I'm not saying finances are a major part of any relationship)). Much easier to find someone that likes you when the average monthly wage is 12,000 baht, and that ATM and future security looks pretty nice. I'm just trying to be honest here, not bash. I know one guy here that rants and raves about his home politics, gets all worked up over it. He doesn't even live in that country anymore, so why bother. We rarely get into Thai politics, and you certainly can ignore your home politics. Again, comparable living, especially mentally. You don't try to "keep up with the Jones" over here, and you don't need to in your home country, but most of us do. Sorry for the long post :(

I've read this posts with some interest, primarily because the only real reasons I have seen for living in Thailand seem to be cost of living, weather and women. Based on a lot of farangs I have met, they were unhappy people in their own country, they couldn't get a decent relationship (and confuse paying for a relationship versus what they considered was "true love" back home), and many are just running from their bleak lives. Not to bash farangs here, but I hear terms such as "freedom" but no one really seems to be able to define it, especially by providing some "freedom" they did not have at home. Now, some farangs have more money than others, and I understand how getting a much nicer home makes sense, but as a single person I really don't need more than a studio. Most people have multiple negatives, but very few specific positives that really differ that much from home. The issues I see people have had in their own country (exclude weather) are not comparable to living in Thailand, because you did not live a comparable lifestyle. I think a lot of the "freedom" here is just that because we are foreigners, we just don't care about what happens around us, although you could do the same in your own country. I read a lot about how Thais are helpful but people "back home" won't lift a finger to help. Personally I don't buy into that, I've found people in most areas to be pretty helpful. My best example is back home, if you were eating a meal and a rat ran across your foot, you would have a fit, maybe even try to sue the owners, or call the health department. Here you just say "TIT" and continue munching. Ask yourself why is that ok in Thailand, but you wouldn't like it in your own country. Is it that your expectations have dropped so much (i.e. freedom) because this is a 'developing' country? I can't say much about relationships and the inability for people to find a woman back home. But I believe if you lived the same lifestyle here back home, things would be similar. For the most part, since not very many of us speak or read Thai well, we just kind of wander through life here oblivious to our surroundings. We could walk right under a banner that said "farangs suck" and not even notice, and therefore we don't care. I don't mind Thailand, it's certainly no paradise, but I'll be moving back home because I can live for the same monthly amount, I can enjoy a much better infrastructure and traffic control, and I don't have a rat running across my foot (although I guess for some that's part of the exotic side of Thailand). And, if I have a heart attack, I can all paramedics who will arrive timely, be trained to assist, and probably save my life rather than have 30 people standing around taking camera photos while the police leave me alone to direct traffic. There are some things I like here, but the majority of "happy" people here seem to be that way due to their woman (or women), and it's unfortunate that back home they couldn't find the same. Just easier to buy, rent or employ here (and yes, if you are paying her some monthly money, she's pretty much considered "employed" by Thai thoughts. You are paying her to take care of you, it's just much cheaper to do so here (as I'm not saying finances are a major part of any relationship)). Much easier to find someone that likes you when the average monthly wage is 12,000 baht, and that ATM and future security looks pretty nice. I'm just trying to be honest here, not bash. I know one guy here that rants and raves about his home politics, gets all worked up over it. He doesn't even live in that country anymore, so why bother. We rarely get into Thai politics, and you certainly can ignore your home politics. Again, comparable living, especially mentally. You don't try to "keep up with the Jones" over here, and you don't need to in your home country, but most of us do. Sorry for the long post sad.png

About the rat...

If you do not speak thai well enough it would be pointless, like talking to a rock, to explain the issue. If you do speak thai well enough then the reaction would be that of an ostrich. Even if you called the health department no one would show up.

That is very reason us white monkeys just do not care about a rat in Thailand. And it's basicly only in USA where someone would sue a restaurant (or whatever) because of a rat. Furthermore, in many thai-thai couples the wife "takes care" of the salaries, is that "employment"?

And, if I have a heart attack, I can all paramedics who will arrive timely, be trained to assist, and probably save my life rather than have 30 people standing around taking camera photos while the police leave me alone to direct traffic. sad.png

Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live.” Henry Van Dyke (American Poet and Essayist, 1852-1933)

My Wife, Son and I return to the UK to visit family twice a year. I'm currently in the UK for a month on one of our Bi-anual visits.

Actually you're on a semi-annual visit unless you're er, uh, well, oh never mind, LOL.

Erm... Biannual not Biennial....

Semiannual is every two years....

'Although biannual properly means twice a year, its conflation with biennial (once every two years) is quite common'

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/semiannual

I've read this posts with some interest, primarily because the only real reasons I have seen for living in Thailand seem to be cost of living, weather and women. Based on a lot of farangs I have met, they were unhappy people in their own country, they couldn't get a decent relationship (and confuse paying for a relationship versus what they considered was "true love" back home), and many are just running from their bleak lives. Not to bash farangs here, but I hear terms such as "freedom" but no one really seems to be able to define it, especially by providing some "freedom" they did not have at home. Now, some farangs have more money than others, and I understand how getting a much nicer home makes sense, but as a single person I really don't need more than a studio. Most people have multiple negatives, but very few specific positives that really differ that much from home. The issues I see people have had in their own country (exclude weather) are not comparable to living in Thailand, because you did not live a comparable lifestyle. I think a lot of the "freedom" here is just that because we are foreigners, we just don't care about what happens around us, although you could do the same in your own country. I read a lot about how Thais are helpful but people "back home" won't lift a finger to help. Personally I don't buy into that, I've found people in most areas to be pretty helpful. My best example is back home, if you were eating a meal and a rat ran across your foot, you would have a fit, maybe even try to sue the owners, or call the health department. Here you just say "TIT" and continue munching. Ask yourself why is that ok in Thailand, but you wouldn't like it in your own country. Is it that your expectations have dropped so much (i.e. freedom) because this is a 'developing' country? I can't say much about relationships and the inability for people to find a woman back home. But I believe if you lived the same lifestyle here back home, things would be similar. For the most part, since not very many of us speak or read Thai well, we just kind of wander through life here oblivious to our surroundings. We could walk right under a banner that said "farangs suck" and not even notice, and therefore we don't care. I don't mind Thailand, it's certainly no paradise, but I'll be moving back home because I can live for the same monthly amount, I can enjoy a much better infrastructure and traffic control, and I don't have a rat running across my foot (although I guess for some that's part of the exotic side of Thailand). And, if I have a heart attack, I can all paramedics who will arrive timely, be trained to assist, and probably save my life rather than have 30 people standing around taking camera photos while the police leave me alone to direct traffic. There are some things I like here, but the majority of "happy" people here seem to be that way due to their woman (or women), and it's unfortunate that back home they couldn't find the same. Just easier to buy, rent or employ here (and yes, if you are paying her some monthly money, she's pretty much considered "employed" by Thai thoughts. You are paying her to take care of you, it's just much cheaper to do so here (as I'm not saying finances are a major part of any relationship)). Much easier to find someone that likes you when the average monthly wage is 12,000 baht, and that ATM and future security looks pretty nice. I'm just trying to be honest here, not bash. I know one guy here that rants and raves about his home politics, gets all worked up over it. He doesn't even live in that country anymore, so why bother. We rarely get into Thai politics, and you certainly can ignore your home politics. Again, comparable living, especially mentally. You don't try to "keep up with the Jones" over here, and you don't need to in your home country, but most of us do. Sorry for the long post sad.png

About the rat...

If you do not speak thai well enough it would be pointless, like talking to a rock, to explain the issue. If you do speak thai well enough then the reaction would be that of an ostrich. Even if you called the health department no one would show up.

That is very reason us white monkeys just do not care about a rat in Thailand. And it's basicly only in USA where someone would sue a restaurant (or whatever) because of a rat. Furthermore, in many thai-thai couples the wife "takes care" of the salaries, is that "employment"?

I think you missed the point. Things that you would not accept in your home country are often accepted in Thailand....the reasoning is that things in Thailand can be "forgiven". It is a mental projection, and if you had the same thought process in your home country, much of what bothered you there really wouldn't. Similar to people that speak of the lax laws and hating the "rules" back home. Honestly, do you really live that differently here? Besides driving, I don't see many farangs "disobeying" laws. Oh, and although the wife can take care of the salaries, if the man is giving her a stipend, then basically it is employment. Not saying it is similar in other countries, just that the expectations can be different. The western notion of "love" over here is far less a basis for a relationship, IMHO. That's a more general statement, I'm not including everyone. I doubt that bar girl really loves that farang she just met a week ago, but she sees opportunity, and she'll behave nicely to retain that (sometimes, lol). And yes, the US is litigation friendly, but that is fine with me. Personally I would prefer to not have a rat running around, but if it doesn't bother me here, it shouldn't bother me back home (that's the point).

About the rat...

I think you missed the point. Things that you would not accept in your home country are often accepted in Thailand....the reasoning is that things in Thailand can be "forgiven". It is a mental projection, and if you had the same thought process in your home country, much of what bothered you there really wouldn't. Similar to people that speak of the lax laws and hating the "rules" back home. Honestly, do you really live that differently here? Besides driving, I don't see many farangs "disobeying" laws. Oh, and although the wife can take care of the salaries, if the man is giving her a stipend, then basically it is employment. Not saying it is similar in other countries, just that the expectations can be different. The western notion of "love" over here is far less a basis for a relationship, IMHO. That's a more general statement, I'm not including everyone. I doubt that bar girl really loves that farang she just met a week ago, but she sees opportunity, and she'll behave nicely to retain that (sometimes, lol). And yes, the US is litigation friendly, but that is fine with me. Personally I would prefer to not have a rat running around, but if it doesn't bother me here, it shouldn't bother me back home (that's the point).

Didn't miss the point.

I don't accept a rat regardless where i am and i assume most people feel the same. My point was that it's pointless to complain about anything in Thailand as nothing would be done about the issue i was complaining about. If i complained about a rat in Sweden i guarantee you that the health department would immediatelly shut the restaurant down. In Thailand nothing would happen. Or well... something would happen if my name was "Poptartporn Ramalamadingdongfling" and i was a well known thai person with "connections" and millions/billions in the bank.

Didn't miss the point.

I don't accept a rat regardless where i am and i assume most people feel the same. My point was that it's pointless to complain about anything in Thailand as nothing would be done about the issue i was complaining about. If i complained about a rat in Sweden i guarantee you that the health department would immediatelly shut the restaurant down. In Thailand nothing would happen. Or well... something would happen if my name was "Poptartporn Ramalamadingdongfling" and i was a well known thai person with "connections" and millions/billions in the bank.

I know how you feel and I guess as long as you are comfortable with where ever you are, you should go for it.

I have led a 'nomadic' life from childhood. I was born in S.E. asia but moved around the world (western countries) for education and have so far lived in uk the longest - and still am living here but hopefully not for long. Things change when I met my Thai wife here and we have a kid now and I feel a little bit home sick although Thailand is not my home country and heck, i dont even know a word of thai. I live a comfortable life in uk and earning good money and I guess it will come as a shock to the system when I go to thailand and will have to start from zero and probably will be more or less 'jobless' for a while. I am always nervous with the gamble but I guess i will have to go for it and see how life turns out.

I guess i will have to go for it and see how life turns out.

Don't go for it. Who says you have to do that? Just because your wife is from Thailand?

What if your wife was from Venezuela, Namibia or what ever?

You have a good job with good money. Don't give up on that.

Keep your visits to Thailand for Holiday only.

Speaking just for Chiang Mai...

• It's cheap
  • It's warm
  • People smile at you
  • You can get by speaking just English
  • The food is excellent
  • Thai massage is like $4 for an hour
  • The laws are lax
  • Visas are easy to get
  • The girls are pretty
  • The expat community is large and fairly diverse

If Chiang Mai don't make you happy, probly ain't nowhere gonna make you happy.

Just for comparison:

I can live in the US for about the same. I can live in a warm area. People smile at me. Virtually everyone speaks English. Food is varied and excellent. Can't outdo the Thai massage, but I don't like massages anyways. The only "lax" I see about laws is that if anything happens, you're always at fault. Oh, and you can speed. I don't need a visa. Maybe not quite as many, but still a lot of pretty girls. The expat community is pretty much everyone I meet. And let's see, you can actually walk down the sidewalks, people stop at red lights, the geographical scenery is much more diverse (really, when I travel through Thailand it's pretty much rice fields, corn fields, a village, repeat as needed). So although I agree with you, I point out that much of what we have here we can have in other places, and perhaps in many areas even better.

• It's cheap
  • It's warm
  • People smile at you
  • The food is excellent
  • The laws are lax
  • Visas are easy to get
  • The girls are pretty

Just for comparison:

I can live in the US for about the same. I can live in a warm area. People smile at me. Virtually everyone speaks English. Food is varied and excellent. Can't outdo the Thai massage, but I don't like massages anyways. The only "lax" I see about laws is that if anything happens, you're always at fault. Oh, and you can speed. I don't need a visa. Maybe not quite as many, but still a lot of pretty girls. The expat community is pretty much everyone I meet. And let's see, you can actually walk down the sidewalks, people stop at red lights, the geographical scenery is much more diverse (really, when I travel through Thailand it's pretty much rice fields, corn fields, a village, repeat as needed). So although I agree with you, I point out that much of what we have here we can have in other places, and perhaps in many areas even better.

nonsense

people don't smile at you in the USA.(yeah easy on talking, but it s very shallow). you feel isolated. by yourself in your own problems.

ask direction in the USA, you won't find anybody as there is nobody walking really.

immigration treat you like crap once you arrive in the USA.

In Thailand people look at you much more than in the USA. you are someone,not just a SSN.

Thai immigration just stamp your passport without asking you any question.

please stop the stories about feeling the same in the USA than in Thailand, it s a lie. in the USA you are not free, in Thailand you are free. in the USA after a certain number of days you must file some tax reports and pay and file fbar and some other paper that I m unaware of. is that freedom?

in Thailand I just have to be sure to leave on time. and that s all.

I save lot of money in Thailand . a LOT!

in the USA you stress constantly, where to sleep? what about rental car.? where to eat? where get health insurance.? how am going to file this type of income, how much they will take from me, will I make money this year, will my wife sue me, will my children get jobs?

in Thailand , you come and pick up any hotel for cheap , can eat at any 7-11 even at midnight. you can walk at 3 am without worrying so much. try to do that in the Bronx? I don't bash the USA, but Thailand is very much different, safer, more economical, less stress, ...

Thai ladies are much nicer, and polite. just walk out and you will see what I m talking about. I m not talking about lady bar, I m talking about any women in general.

Thailand has a much better life style than the USA. I think people in Thailand are happier than in the USA . they just don't know how lucky they are to live in the Los.

Edited by VIPinthailand

In Thailand I feel truly free. In America, it's just a bunch of political rhetoric.

In America I don't even bother chat up a female. It's as if I don't even exist to them. I get to Thailand and the girls are all over me. It's an upside down world.

In America I don't even bother chat up a female. It's as if I don't even exist to them. I get to Thailand and the girls are all over me. It's an upside down world.

You know why you're getting

attention in Thailand? it's

because you're perceived to

have money. You know why

you get nothing in America?

It's because you're lazy and

don't make the effort to

appeal to them. That's a

reflection on you rather than

the American women

• It's cheap
  • It's warm
  • People smile at you
  • The food is excellent
  • The laws are lax
  • Visas are easy to get
  • The girls are pretty
Just for comparison:

nonsense
Top reply! The bloke puts a lot of thought into a lucid post, and that's what you come up with?

Do you agree with him, or not?

We're you unable to understand his post? Was there anything specific in his post that you did not understand, or perhaps that you disAgreed with? Would you care to share that with us, or is this all part of your efforts to make us feel contempt for the Faranor residents of Thailand?

SC

• It's cheap
  • It's warm
  • People smile at you
  • The food is excellent
  • The laws are lax
  • Visas are easy to get
  • The girls are pretty
Just for comparison:

nonsense
Top reply! The bloke puts a lot of thought into a lucid post, and that's what you come up with?

Do you agree with him, or not?

We're you unable to understand his post? Was there anything specific in his post that you did not understand, or perhaps that you disAgreed with? Would you care to share that with us, or is this all part of your efforts to make us feel contempt for the Faranor residents of Thailand?

SC

which part of nonsense confused you?

I have been here just over 6 years and I'm not looking to leave anytime soon.

My reasons for living here are:

Food, people and weather, although it can get a bit hot certain times of the year.

I believe that my young son (he's almost 3) has a better life here.

We have a nice swimming pool 100 meters from our apartment which he uses at least 5 times a week and can swim 40 meters already.

The other days he's at the driving range or on the golf course with me. I live between 2 golf courses and both are no more than 5 minutes to the first tee. I can also play golf all year round.

There are also lots of other affordable activities my family can do together.

My son goes to a nice Kindergarten and is trilingual.

I enjoy my work.

Lifestyle, I would have to earn the equivalent of 40,000 Pounds (not easy for me without working 7 days a week 12 hours a day) to live like I do here back in the UK.

I do not think my girlfriend would be able to adjust to life in the UK, to be honest I'd struggle to adjust now!

So after 6 1/2 years I can't see myself going back until my son's secondary school education.

• It's cheap
  • It's warm
  • People smile at you
  • The food is excellent
  • The laws are lax
  • Visas are easy to get
  • The girls are pretty

Just for comparison:

What are you smoking, sir? You can only polish a turd so much. America has a lot of pretty girls? That's ridiculous! Unless you are into "BBWs"..

Because at 52 I can't even look at a 23 year old without fear of being called a perv. In LOS I can live with one.

I'm sorry to be the one who breaks it to you but the main difference is here you don't understand what people are saying about you. For having liiving here full time for the past two years I can honestly say that Thais don't hold people in your situation in high regard.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

I didn't think any Thai Visa members liked living in Thailand facepalm.gif

They're always moaning and whining as though Thailand is the worst country in the world, yet, they still choose to stay here,why ?

Edited by Banzai99